Man of Steel contenders revealed as St Helens, Wigan Warriors and Salford Red Devils stars battle for crown

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: Man of Steel contenders revealed as St Helens, Wigan Warriors and Salford Red Devils stars battle for crown

Post by josie andrews »

Man of Steel shortlist as Super League's top stars named

The trio will battle it out for the award, which will be presented on September 19th.

Brodie Croft, Jai Field and Jack Welsby will battle it out for the Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel award. The trio have been named on the shortlist for the big prize having ended the campaign with the most points in the voting.

Voting for the Man of Steel Award is carried out each week of the regular season by a panel of former players who award 3, 2 and 1 point to the three best performers in each match.

Croft has been one of Super League's signings of the season, providing some dazzling performances for Salford on their path to the play-offs. He has scored seven tries and bagged 25 assists in a stunning individual campaign.

Field was Super League's star performer at the start of the year as he produced some captivating performances for Wigan Warriors. He was the leader of the voting after round 15, when the results went dark. He has produced 20 tries and 24 assists.

Finally, Welsby was named Super league young player of the year in 2021 and is in contention for the award again next season. Still only 21, Welsby has become a key player for Saints and is second in Super League's assists leaderboard with 27. He has also scored 12 tries.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-24965608
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Man of Steel contenders revealed as St Helens, Wigan Warriors and Salford Red Devils stars battle for crown

Post by Caboosegg »

Has Welsby really been MOS quality?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Goldthorpe winner Croft makes Man of Steel shortlist

Albert Goldthorpe Medal winner Brodie Croft has made the three-player shortlist for this year’s Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel Award.

Alongside Salford Red Devils’ stand-off Croft (above) are Jai Field of Wigan Warriors and Jack Welsby of St Helens.

Voting for the Man of Steel Award is carried out each week of the regular season by a panel of former players who award 3, 2 and 1 point to the three best performers in each match.

Croft appeared in all but one of Salford’s league games this season and his standout performances and leadership in the middle coupled with 25 assists and 7 tries saw him capture the headlines in a Salford team that was unfancied at the start of the season.

Field has regularly proved he can break a defence in a split second and sprint away for a try. He registered the highest recorded speed of any player this season, clocking a massive 36.1 km/h against Hull KR.

Following an injury plagued season in 2021, Field’s partnership with Bevan French has been a highlight of the Warriors’ team this season and has kept fans on the edge of their seats.

Before voting went dark after Round 15, Field was the early season leader in the Man of Steel standings picking up a remarkable six 3-pointers in the opening 10 games.

Field’s 20 tries and 24 assists this season alongside his top speed achievement shows he poses a threat at from anywhere on the field at any point of the game.

At just 21, Welsby has firmly cemented himself as one of the first names on Kristian Woolf’s teamsheet.

Key pieces of individual skill, including assist hat-tricks against both Hull teams and a match winning field-goal against Wakefield Trinity, meant that Welsby was firmly at the centre of everything happening at St Helens.

An impressive 27 assists, just six behind stat leader Jake Connor, alongside 12 tries saw Welsby have a hand in over a third of all tries scored by Saints in the 2022 season.

https://www.totalrl.com/goldthorpe-winn ... shortlist/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Croft & Field reignite old flame

Brodie Croft and Jai Field have both reinvigorated themselves in Betfred Super League. After stellar seasons for their respective clubs, the pair have been shortlisted for the coveted Steve Prescott MBE Man of Steel award alongside St Helens' starlet, Jack Welsby.

And their undeniable talent - which has been on show throughout the 2022 season - should come as no surprise. From an early age, they have have been touted to have successful careers - and their CV's prove it.

Croft and Field lined up together for the Junior Kangaroos during a test match against the Junior Kiwis at Under 20’s level. With both players in the mere infancy of their careers as young, exciting playmakers, they partnered each other in the halves during a commanding Kangaroos win.

"I played against him [Brodie Croft] a few times in Australia and played with him as well,” Field explained.

“It was in a Junior Roos [Kangaroos] game, we played together in the halves. He’s always been an outstanding player and a good runner of the ball. I think it’s been a real good thing for him to come here [Super League] as well and regain that love of the game – and it’s really showing.

“He’s cutting teams to pieces at the moment – he’s always had that ability. It’s good to see.”

The Junior Kangaroos were led by another familiar face that day – 2019 Super League Coach of the Year, Justin Holbrook. Holbrook was the Junior Roos coach for the 2017 clash against the Kiwis - the same year he linked up with St Helens to become their head coach.

Holbrook’s decision to partner Brodie Croft and Jai Field in the halves paid dividends, with Croft producing a Man of the Match display and Field crossing for a try and kicking five goals during a dominant Kangaroos victory

And the two Man of Steel nominees continue to have nothing but the upmost respect for one another after going into battle in the Green and Gold - and rooming together - over five years ago.

“First of all, he’s a great guy – that’s the first thing I picked up when we was in that Junior Roos team,” Croft emphasised.

“I roomed with him then and he’s a down to earth sort of guy, so it’s always good to see those sort of guys go on and have good seasons like he has this year. He’s a special player to watch – I’m certainly a fan of him, but I’m not a fan when we’re up against him!

He’s been electric this year and one of those guys where I’ll try and take a few things out of his game that I want to put into my game myself, and I guess a lot of rugby league players will do that.

“He’s been a joy to watch this year, that’s for sure.”

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3 ... -old-flame
First Try Tickle

The Jack Welsby Man of Steel Award

Post by First Try Tickle »

I'm surprised Welsby hasn't been nominated for the coach of the year award, then he could have got the hat trick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/62835667

and they call us a 2 man team.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: The Jack Welsby Man of Steel Award

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:24 pm I'm surprised Welsby hasn't been nominated for the coach of the year award, then he could have got the hat trick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/62835667

and they call us a 2 man team.
He's an excellent young player and deserves to be in both awards
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure