Catalan v Leeds

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: Catalan v Leeds

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:29 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:02 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:37 pm If Leeds win it again from fifth I’m done with rugby league
Me too because it has definitely been fixed!
Sorry but this is garbage.

1. Nothing has been 'fixed'. The finals are being played according to the agreed format. What do you think was 'fixed', anyway? Do you think Cats should have won the game? 'Fixed' is a big term. It implies bribery/corruption. If you have evidence of that, lets hear it, otherwise it's best not to bandy such expressions about.

2. All this "I'll never watch rugby again if Leeds win from fifth" **** News just in, that's the system we use. You are entitled to dislike it, but that doesn't make it invalid. Or is it just because it's Leeds? I don't like the Rhinos either, but supposing it was Wigan in 5th place, what would you say then? 5th place have (rightly) the hardest route to the Final, just like the lower ranked teams in the NRL do (although they use a different system).
I suppose ‘fixed’ was a bit harsh but it goes from my hatred of Leeds 😟 They always seem to get all 50/50 calls!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby Football League set to investigate ugly scenes after referee James Childs was pelted with missiles by fans following Catalans Dragons defeat by Leeds Rhinos

The RFL is to launch an investigation after a referee was pelted with missiles
James Childs was attacked after officiating Catalans Dragons vs Leeds Rhinos
TV presenters and Leeds players were also targeted by fans in the ugly incident

The Rugby Football League is to investigate ugly scenes in Perpignan on Friday night when referee James Child was pelted with missiles as he left the field.

Catalans Dragons fans reacted angrily to their team’s 20-10 defeat by Leeds at the Stade Gilbert Brutus in the Super League play-offs.

Sky Sports presenters Jenna Brooks and Terry O’Connor and the Leeds players also appeared to be the target of abuse.

The French side had prop Gil Dudson sent off, stand-off Mitchell Pearce sin-binned twice and hooker Michael McIlorum also shown a yellow card during a stormy match which brought their season to an abrupt end.

An RFL spokesman said: ‘It is imperative for the sport that match officials and broadcasters are not subject to threatening or abusive behaviour.’

Rohan Smith, the Leeds coach called the scenes ‘disappointing’.

Asked about the treatment of the referee, Smith said, ‘To see him get things thrown at him and our players to be treated like that is disappointing, but no actual harm done.’

Meanwhile, Hull FC have appointed former Hull KR boss Tony Smith as head coach, replacing Brett Hodgson.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -fans.html
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The RFL don’t make it easy do they?

In no way shape or form should any of the match officials travel with a team,it not rocket science is it they have to be seen to be impartial and any hint of bias and well the tin foil hat brigade come out and spout nonsense,I think Childs,along with Thaler and Hicks are the best of the refs so I don’t believe there was any bias going on the other night but they have to travel on their own..it can’t carry on just to save a couple of hundred quid.

As for the other night I thought Childs handled the game well but in the end got fed up with Catalans constant moaning and the 50/50 calls probably did go the way of Leeds for that reason,not bias just a lad who was trying to herd a clutch of cats into a sack and I’ll for give him for that.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Not sure why people are worried about a team winning it from 5th.

Those are the rules of the competition. Everyone knows it from the start of the season.

It's entirely possible to win it from any of the playoff positions, but theoretically harder the further down the league table that you finish.

I would have absolutely no problem in principle with any team in the playoffs winning from any position.

That said, it will be a Wigan vs St Helens final.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:06 pm
moto748 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:29 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:02 pm

Me too because it has definitely been fixed!
Sorry but this is garbage.

1. Nothing has been 'fixed'. The finals are being played according to the agreed format. What do you think was 'fixed', anyway? Do you think Cats should have won the game? 'Fixed' is a big term. It implies bribery/corruption. If you have evidence of that, lets hear it, otherwise it's best not to bandy such expressions about.

2. All this "I'll never watch rugby again if Leeds win from fifth" **** News just in, that's the system we use. You are entitled to dislike it, but that doesn't make it invalid. Or is it just because it's Leeds? I don't like the Rhinos either, but supposing it was Wigan in 5th place, what would you say then? 5th place have (rightly) the hardest route to the Final, just like the lower ranked teams in the NRL do (although they use a different system).
I suppose ‘fixed’ was a bit harsh but it goes from my hatred of Leeds 😟 They always seem to get all 50/50 calls!
You cannot get all the way to the grand final and win it relying on 50/50 calls.

In my opinion the old format was better were 1st played 2nd and the winner went straight to the final and the loser got another chance.

The way it was set up meant you had to beat everyone above you to win the grand final
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The RFL have a responsibility to the game and in this aspect they failed abysmally.

Under no circumstances should match officials travel on the same plane as the Catalans opposition. It just gives the wrong message altogether.
Then when the appointed referee is one that has been stood down for six weeks due to his incompetence is given the job in as hostile an environment as Brutus then it is simply inviting trouble.
The RFL invited trouble and they got it.

It's a pity no one in the game can institute an investigation into the staggering incompetence of the RFL.