Sean Long to leave Leeds Rhinos with coaching setup set for shakeup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Sean Long to leave Leeds Rhinos with coaching setup set for shakeup

Post by josie andrews »

Long, one of the smartest on-field talents of his times, is on the way out of the club.

Sean Long will leave his role as Leeds Rhinos coach at the end of the season. Rugby League Live can reveal Long, widely regarded as one of the great rugby league minds of his generation, will leave his position at Headingley in pursuit of a new challenge at the conclusion of the coming campaign.

Long joined the Rhinos ahead of the 2021 season to work with former head coach Richard Agar and has spent the last two seasons with the club, helping them to two consecutive Super League semi-finals. But he will now depart to take on his next challenge, though that is yet to be confirmed.

When contacted by Rugby League Live, Long said: "As the season ends, I've decided to resign from my position with Leeds Rhinos in search of a new challenge within the game.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my two years with the club; the players and staff are some of the most passionate and talented in rugby league and I've made friends for life. But it's become clear that the club's plans for the development of my role are not aligned with my ambitions and so it's the right time for me to move on."

He continued: "I haven't yet made a definite decision about where I'll be next year, and I want to make sure my next role is the right one, so I'll be considering my options carefully.

Rugby league is my passion and my home. Whichever role I take next, I'll continue to champion for further investment in the sport, to keep stadiums full and fans entertained. I wish all the team and staff at Leeds Rhinos the very best of luck for the future."

Long, who is set to be part of France's coaching team for the Rugby League World Cup, has also previously worked with Samoa and has had spells with Salford and St Helens, where he enjoyed a glittering playing career.

On the field, Long made over 400 career appearances and won everything in the game. He won four Grand Finals, five Challenge Cups, two World Club Challenges the Man of Steel and three Lance Todd trophies. He is the only player in Challenge Cup history to win the award on three occasions. He also played for England and Great Britain on 21 occasions and produced one of the great individual performances when the Lions defeated Australia in 2006. It remains England or Great Britain's only victory against the Aussies down under since 1988.

He is the second confirmed coaching departure at the club in two days after Jamie Jones-Buchanan. The former Leeds great will leave his assistant coach position to take up a new role at the club as their head of culture, diversity and inclusivity. It means additions should be expected to Rohan Smith's coaching staff ahead of 2023.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... s-25023726
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Sean Long to leave Leeds Rhinos with coaching setup set for shakeup

Post by fozzieskem »

Bit of a clear out going on with jjb being moved and now.Long going
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Loong is a good example of why simply being an excellent player doesnt mean you can translate that into backroom success - never seems to be able to stick any position that long
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

To be honest every time i saw him i wondered if his image fitted the Leeds set up. I didnt know if i should listen to him or offer a bowl of soup . His next job could be scaring pigeons off a farmers field , good player but not a good image for a professional club . :roll: :roll: :roll:
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

ddtftf wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:34 pm To be honest every time i saw him i wondered if his image fitted the Leeds set up. I didnt know if i should listen to him or offer a bowl of soup . His next job could be scaring pigeons off a farmers field , good player but not a good image for a professional club . :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes , looks as though he spends his nights on a park bench