Jack Welsby claims Grand Final win over Leeds Rhinos would make St Helens greatest team ever

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Jack Welsby claims Grand Final win over Leeds Rhinos would make St Helens greatest team ever

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Golden Balls Deluded

Welsby, who produced an iconic winning try for Saints in the 2020 Grand Final, believes his side would have to be crowned the greatest ever if they win it for a fourth time on the bounce.

Jack Welsby is under little doubt that victory for his St Helens side in Saturday's Grand Final will cement them as the greatest team in history. Saints can secure an unprecedented fourth consecutive title if they defeat Leeds Rhinos at Old Trafford and with it, the most comprehensive case of all to claim they truly are the best team the sport has seen.

Many will quickly attempt to discredit the quality of this St Helens side, that will claim they are not as good as previous versions, that their success is a reflection of weakened competition. Nostalgia can often roughen out the edges. At times it can be a seductive liar.

Comparing eras is an eternal debate but what's set in stone is that should St Helens win at Old Trafford on Saturday, they will become the first side ever to win four straight championships. Another St Helens win means this side will achieve something no other team has accomplished in the history of the sport. They will be history makers and immortals.

It's the biggest game of the year and the biggest game for Saints in its history," he said. "If we win this game it cements us as the best team in history in my opinion. It's massive and to do it against Leeds would be extra special.

"There's a lot of different factors but for us in the group, four in a row, Challenge Cup in there, a couple of League Leaders' Shields, it's just my personal opinion, but it would be enough to say that."

That is the prize for this St Helens team and Welsby himself. None of this would have been possible without him and that try in 2020, the iconic last-play score that secured the second title.

It was a moment that not only wrote Welsby into folklore but catapulted his career into a new stratosphere. Now, still only 21 years of age, he has winners' rings, Challenge Cup medals an England cap and two consecutive young player of the year awards. He boasts a list of accomplishments many players don't receive during their entire career

And yet, without consideration, he'd be willing to sacrifice all of his own individual success to ensure this Saints side goes down in history.

"That moment is brilliant for myself but I'd give it all up. If we won that game in a different way and I didn't score that try, and it was nailed on we'd win this fourth one of Saturday, I would give that moment up in a heartbeat for what that feeling will be like when we get over the line on Saturday. I know how much work everyone puts into that and I know that feeling would be a lot better than the one I had at Hull.

"We play a team sport and there's nothing better than getting a Grand Final win with all your best mates and people who have worked throughout the year. I'd sacrifice everything to get that win Saturday night, without a doubt."

Welsby's place in the final was something of a doubt after a high tackle during Saints' semi-final win over Salford. Though charged for the incident, his previous record meant he was spared a suspension. It has become a talking point in the build-up to the final, though the man himself still remains unsure if there was anything untoward involved.

"I was nervous, I can't lie. Personally, I didn't think there was anything up with it. But you can't help but think, whether it's your girlfriend or my mum and dad saying you should be banned on Twitter.

"You can interpret it two ways, the likelihood is I've been given a Grade A so there's something up with it but my previous record was good enough that I got away with it, which is very fortunate for myself and obviously I'm going to try and take full advantage that and play well at the Grand Final."

That, you suspect, is almost a given. Welsby has quickly ascended to the top of the competition with two years of excellent performances. His efforts this year also saw him finish in the top three for the coveted Man of Steel, but he believes he has, and continues, to receive praise that should be sent the way of others.

"I've taken a lot of credit I don't deserve from the likes of Jonny [Lomax] and Robes [James Roby] who are in the team. I'd be the first to say I'm lucky to be up for Man of Steel when I play with Jonny Lomax. I think he's very unfortunate and very overlooked. He's absolutely brilliant, I think he should be there instead of me.

"I'm not the greatest kicker at the minute. My temperament sometimes, the game against Salford, I've seen something I thought was on, I've chipped it over, it's gone dead and they get a seven tackle set that marches us down the field. There's stuff like that. I'm in a fortunate position that I can annoy Robes for another year and every training session about what he does and how he does it, the same with Jonny."

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... m-25076157
fozzieskem

Re: Golden Balls Deluded

Post by fozzieskem »

In the super league era I suppose you could make a case,but to me a great team is full of players that entertain me the current and recent saints side are dull to watch for the most part.

Won’t matter either way I feel Leeds will do them
CheshireWarrior

Re: Jack Welsby claims Grand Final win over Leeds Rhinos would make St Helens greatest team ever

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I HATE to type it, but it very hard to look past the Stains 2006 squad and find better in the super league era!
Charriots Offiah

Re: Jack Welsby claims Grand Final win over Leeds Rhinos would make St Helens greatest team ever

Post by Charriots Offiah »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:02 pm I HATE to type it, but it very hard to look past the Stains 2006 squad and find better in the super league era!
That’s true, the 2006 team were far better than this team. But Welsby is not limiting his claim to SL.

The all conquering Wigan team of 1994/1995 would be the best for me. We won five trophies including beating the Aussies.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Come on Leeds
I really couldn’t stand the gloating if Saints win four on the bounce !!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

lol - It's not even the best St Helens team in history (and by quite some way), and would be totally blown away by the Wigan team of 94/95.

Ridiculous comment. :D