Grand final (spoilers)

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Grand final (spoilers)

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:17 am Saints deserve credit for winning another grand final, but I don’t believe they have been dominant. For a side to be called dominant I would expect them winning everything year on year ( a side like ours of the 90’s). It is one league leaders shield in 3 years? The difference with Saints is they play consistently at higher level. When others play at the same level, they are beaten.
Like I said, credit is due for winning the grand final, but for me, that’s where it stops.
There are 2 big prizes in rugby league challenge cup and grand final - the league leaders shield is worth nothing to clubs it’s have absolutely no value due to the grand final the league has absolutely no value it’s just a really long preseason tbh

I’d say the challenge cup has also lost a lot of its acclaim in the recent years

Saints have won 5 of the 8 trophies available in the last 4 years - they’ve won the gf which is the hardest to win 4 years on the bounce that’s complete domination
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Would have to agree although they have a batch of very old players and very young players and hence a team in transition… hopefully our turn next season!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:26 am Would have to agree although they have a batch of very old players and very young players and hence a team in transition… hopefully our turn next season!
Yea it is an ageing side it'll be interesting to see how they handle it
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Saints more or less controlled the game from start to finish really.
Think the 12 points Leeds scored flattered them
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:10 pm Has a team ever dominated a sport for 4 years or around the same yet been so underwhelming? I think about past teams - us in the 90s and more recently Leeds, and think of outstanding teams that would stand against any team in any period. This saints side would get demolished by both.
I agree ,todays opposition are weaker
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We were crap against leeds…… like we had run outta steam….. fully fit and injury free we would have smashed them
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:19 am We were crap against leeds…… like we had run outta steam….. fully fit and injury free we would have smashed them
We had a week off - we played a youth team in the final rounds for another week off

Leeds had players out

Sorry making excuses doesn’t benefit a team - we weren’t good enough we shot ourselves in the foot by selecting a returning hooker in place of a match fit one - we had a bizarre approach to substitutes and we kept up a common theme of wilting when someone sticks it on us and field/French aren’t doing full lengths

Don’t get me wrong we are far better this year but we will not catch saints with this team imo
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:37 am
Firestarter wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:19 am We were crap against leeds…… like we had run outta steam….. fully fit and injury free we would have smashed them
We had a week off - we played a youth team in the final rounds for another week off

Leeds had players out

Sorry making excuses doesn’t benefit a team - we weren’t good enough we shot ourselves in the foot by selecting a returning hooker in place of a match fit one - we had a bizarre approach to substitutes and we kept up a common theme of wilting when someone sticks it on us and field/French aren’t doing full lengths

Don’t get me wrong we are far better this year but we will not catch saints with this team imo
Yes i know we had a week off but we still looked unfit….. leeds players have hardly played this season with injuries so im thinking thats why they looked fitter….. no excuses here im saying it as i see it
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I thought that the level saints played in the first half was well above anything we produced this season. More significantly, they produced their best performance when it mattered. They are still better than us and we can't wait for their 'ageing' players to drop their standards because they have plenty of improving players too. In addition, we can hope but can't guarantee that the next coach will be worse than Woolf. There are plenty of fans (both ours and theirs) who didn't really rate him. What happens if the new coach is an improvement? We can't wait for them or anybody else, we have to keep improving.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:37 am

Leeds had players out

Have to agree with you in regards to the Leeds game,I still don’t understand how they managed their worst performance of the season till that game,I find it baffling and in regards to the Catalan that was a game to rest players,such as Cust rather than play them in a meaningless fixture,Peet got a lot right this year but got it totally wrong for the Catalan game.

As for catching Saints I agree they are still plenty ahead of Wigan but that hood thing is they are all getting on a bit,a rebuild will be needed probably from next year and who knows how good Welles’s will be as coach,if indeed that’s what happens?