Brian McDermott: Ex-Leeds boss resigns as Featherstone Rovers head coach after play-off loss

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Brian McDermott: Ex-Leeds boss resigns as Featherstone Rovers head coach after play-off loss

Post by josie andrews »

Brian McDermott has resigned as head coach of Featherstone Rovers following Sunday's Championship play-off semi-final defeat by Batley Bulldogs.

The 52-year-old, who led Leeds to four Super League Grand Final wins and two Challenge Cups in eight seasons, was appointed to lead Rovers to promotion.

However, despite finishing second to leaders Leigh, Featherstone were denied a place in the final by the Bulldogs.

"I came to the club with a clear objective," McDermott said.

"[That was] to achieve promotion to Super League, an objective which unfortunately has not been achieved.

"I feel my departure will give the club the opportunity to take a new direction and hopefully they will be able to build upon the progress made this year."

No comment has yet been made on a replacement.

The signings of international quality players such as Melbourne Storm half-back Ryley Jacks and Samoa centre Joey Leilua were made in an attempt to compete for a place in the top flight with Leigh.

Derek Beaumont bankrolled extensive recruitment at the Centurions, including the signings of Australia and New South Wales winger Blake Ferguson and half-back Lachlan Lam, which has seen them dominate the division.

Although McDermott's side beat Leigh earlier in the season, defeat away from home and at the Summer Bash have seen them fall behind the pacesetters in the table, while they also lost the 1895 Cup final at Tottenham.

Most crucially it was their play-off defeat by a Batley squad with fewer financial resources that ensured another campaign in the second tier in 2023.

Chairman Mark Campbell added: "Brian has worked tremendously hard this year to achieve our promotion goal and we respect his decision after yesterday's defeat to move on.

"I would like to place on record my thanks for his efforts and wish him all the best moving forward."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/63037976
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Brian McDermott: Ex-Leeds boss resigns as Featherstone Rovers head coach after play-off loss

Post by fozzieskem »

No surprise really they spent and backed him but met Derek’s wallet being open to all and sundry over at Leigh.

I wonder what the chances are of Batley doing Leigh in the million pound game,now that’d be an upset for sure.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Brian McDermott: Ex-Leeds boss resigns as Featherstone Rovers head coach after play-off loss

Post by Mike »

That would be so funny. Would they actually accept promotion though?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:23 pm

"[That was] to achieve promotion to Super League, an objective which unfortunately has not been achieved.

"I feel my departure will give the club the opportunity to take a new direction and hopefully they will be able to build upon the progress made this year."

Most crucially it was their play-off defeat by a Batley squad with fewer financial resources that ensured another campaign in the second tier in 2023.

Chairman Mark Campbell added: "Brian has worked tremendously hard this year to achieve our promotion goal and we respect his decision after yesterday's defeat to move on.

"I would like to place on record my thanks for his efforts and wish him all the best moving forward."

A good laugh this! Note the pathetic weasel words from McD:

"unfortunately has not been achieved." Use of passive tense - refuses to accept any personal responsibility.

"they will be able to build upon the progress made this year."
...implying he has succeeded rather than failed.

And the chairman:

"we respect his decision after yesterday's defeat to move on." . . . Meaning "We're glad to see the back of him."

"Standard blurb I used when the bootman and cleaner left."

The man who won 4 GFs with a team that coached itself.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:05 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:23 pm

A good laugh this! Note the pathetic weasel words from McD:

"unfortunately has not been achieved." Use of passive tense - refuses to accept any personal responsibility.

"they will be able to build upon the progress made this year."
...implying he has succeeded rather than failed.

And the chairman:

"we respect his decision after yesterday's defeat to move on." . . . Meaning "We're glad to see the back of him."

"Standard blurb I used when the bootman and cleaner left."

The man who won 4 GFs with a team that coached itself.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I never rated him as a coach. The hard work getting that Leeds team together was done long before he went there. And as you say Morley, that team coached themselves. He’s done nothing at any club that needed proper coaching.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan