Super League licensing moves closer with new recommendations including scrapping relegation

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Re: Super League licensing moves closer with new recommendations including scrapping relegation

Post by fozzieskem »

Don't know how true it is but they're proposing 2 legged challenge cup ties (according to a post I saw on facebook)you'd have have to be serious daft to go to a 2 legged affair for all but the semi final and even then who'd want to?

If this is the best IMG can come up with then the game is dead in the water
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Super League licensing moves closer with new recommendations including scrapping relegation

Post by Mike »

It is a bit easy to win the CC IMO. Sometimes you only have one tough game. Anything that raises its prestige back up should be considered IMO.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Did IMG mention anything about the playoffs? IMO the biggest problem the game has is the lack of attendence in the playoff series. If we're serious about playoffs deciding the comp's winner, we should be expanding the series (not neccessarily more teams, but definitely more games) and most importantly raising the intensity of the games. You have to have big crowds to do that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:07 am
The magic weekend would be\ a huge error getting rid of it,there’s little to no interest in a nines comp change for change sake is fine if something isn’t working but an event that draws moremthanmthemchallenge cup would be madness,wrong to assume if it was done away with this fantasy notion that we would all board a charabang (sp?)with heads donned with knotted hankies and a flask of tea and head down to London is beyond belief it just too expensive,plus sky love the magic weekend and I have to worry if they are bothered at losing their weekend of content that spells trouble to me.
It’s absolutely brilliant the magic weekend is being dropped. They are doing it because as a big event they think it detracts from the CC. Which is spot on in my opinion.

When it first came in it was yet another balls up by the RFL which elevated one round of SL to a level it did not warrant. It put an extra fixture in the league, which meant some clubs got to potentially play the best team in the competition an extra tie to their detriment and the other way, when a top team got a east draw it was usually another two points.

It was typical of the RFL to not think a big event like that would impact the CC but then when they introduced the playoffs they went out of their way to belittle winning the league so it was par for the course.

Magic was overhyped anyway in terms of how many it attracted and if I recall correctly often had a lower aggregate crowd than an equivalent normal round of the same fixtures.

Glad to see the back of it.

As to the CC with two legs it’s only the sixth round when SL clubs take first part and is designed to give them a extra home game to compensate for the reduced number of fixtures and also for a championship side a guaranteed fixture to host a SL team.

If the clubs have any sense this game will be included in with season tickets to also compensate fans for fewer fixtures. If they don’t, I can’t see it being well attended just like current home cup games.

As to the category A & B idea which is a return to a form of franchising I am all for it. The last time it was done it failed due to being incompetently run not because it wasn’t a good idea. The interesting part of it is the idea that eventually all 12 SL clubs will be category A and when they are they will add some more category B clubs to expand the size of league.

This a great idea and will mean we grow the league as they have done in Australia and won’t happen by going to a larger league before the teams are there to support it.

Of course it may not work as we never get more than 12 category A teams but at least this is an attempt to improve the sport. Standing still wasn’t an option in my opinion.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:45 pm Did IMG mention anything about the playoffs? IMO the biggest problem the game has is the lack of attendence in the playoff series. If we're serious about playoffs deciding the comp's winner, we should be expanding the series (not neccessarily more teams, but definitely more games) and most importantly raising the intensity of the games. You have to have big crowds to do that.
Well the current format is useless where finishing higher offers next to no advantage as Wigan found out with no second chance despite finishing second in the league. The playoff formats that make the teams who finish lowest play more games and all away for the lowest finishing team (as would be the case for the 5th placed team in the old top five format) and give a meaningful advantage for finishing higher are far the best. Any change to a format that doesn’t work like this would just devalue the league.

At the moment a team can lose half their league games, still get in the
layoffs and has a virtually equal chance of getting to the final. This is just daft and if they want the proposed 22 league fixtures to be well attended they need to look after this aspect of the game as much as playoff games.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:56 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:07 am
The magic weekend would be\ a huge error getting rid of it,there’s little to no interest in a nines comp change for change sake is fine if something isn’t working but an event that draws moremthanmthemchallenge cup would be madness,wrong to assume if it was done away with this fantasy notion that we would all board a charabang (sp?)with heads donned with knotted hankies and a flask of tea and head down to London is beyond belief it just too expensive,plus sky love the magic weekend and I have to worry if they are bothered at losing their weekend of content that spells trouble to me.
It’s absolutely brilliant the magic weekend is being dropped. They are doing it because as a big event they think it detracts from the CC. Which is spot on in my opinion.

When it first came in it was yet another balls up by the RFL which elevated one round of SL to a level it did not warrant. It put an extra fixture in the league, which meant some clubs got to potentially play the best team in the competition an extra tie to their detriment and the other way, when a top team got a east draw it was usually another two points.

It was typical of the RFL to not think a big event like that would impact the CC but then when they introduced the playoffs they went out of their way to belittle winning the league so it was par for the course.

Magic was overhyped anyway in terms of how many it attracted and if I recall correctly often had a lower aggregate crowd than an equivalent normal round of the same fixtures.

Glad to see the back of it.

As to the CC with two legs it’s only the sixth round when SL clubs take first part and is designed to give them a extra home game to compensate for the reduced number of fixtures and also for a championship side a guaranteed fixture to host a SL team.

If the clubs have any sense this game will be included in with season tickets to also compensate fans for fewer fixtures. If they don’t, I can’t see it being well attended just like current home cup games.

As to the category A & B idea which is a return to a form of franchising I am all for it. The last time it was done it failed due to being incompetently run not because it wasn’t a good idea. The interesting part of it is the idea that eventually all 12 SL clubs will be category A and when they are they will add some more category B clubs to expand the size of league.

This a great idea and will mean we grow the league as they have done in Australia and won’t happen by going to a larger league before the teams are there to support it.

Of course it may not work as we never get more than 12 category A teams but at least this is an attempt to improve the sport. Standing still wasn’t an option in my opinion.
👋👋👋. (Me applauding DaveO!!!)
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

had a quick look on twitter and facebook again this morning, was kindly awaken by the leigh chairman tweeting at 3am too :) :). the guy is a tool, but most of us already know that

there is still so much negativity around the proposals. Not surprisingly from the ones likely to be most at risk of not being classified as A grade clubs and a change of them not being in SL. I just dont think people can see that its for the long term future of the game and standards across the board need to improve. There is no closed shop to protect Wigan, Saints and Leeds as many are suggesting. If our clubs standards fall, then quite rightly if it is managed, then any club should be downgraded to B or C etc

There was one guy even calling clubs out for wanting all the profit. he clearly has no idea about RL in this country, and how much owners put into the clubs to keep them viable

onto the Magic weekend, personally as others have expressed i am happy to see it go. i've been to a couple but it hasnt worked and doesnt attract the crowds that they want. they may say 30k+ attendance, but in reality, poss 20k max on at any one time and looks poor on TV, especially when you consider Wigan v Saints on the same weekend could attract min of 18k. It is also a really weird way of distorting fixtures, with tough ones (usually for Wigan or Saints) but Wire / Leeds have had easy 2 points
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League plans revealed with two-legged Challenge Cup games and mid-March season start

Further details behind IMG's plans to revamp the Challenge Cup have come to light

Rugby League's most prestigious competition the Challenge Cup could feature a two-legged tie from the 2024 season. Part of IMG's new calendar for the sport, the strategic partner presented their recommendations to the clubs and the media on Wednesday afternoon.

As revealed by Rugby League Live, the change includes the sixth round of the cup, with an aggregate score used to determine who advances to the quarter-finals. The sixth round features 16 teams and is the first round where Super League clubs enter the competition.

Played on the first two weekends of March, the two legs will be the start of the competitive season for the top tier sides, with the Super League season beginning on the third week, a month or so later than what will be the case in 2023.

IMG hope to shorten the Super league season from 27 rounds to 22, with the March start akin to 1998 when Hull FC played their first game at Sheffield Eagles at the back end of the month. Recent seasons have for the majority started in February, with 2020 even getting the go ahead for a January start.

Given the loss of loop fixtures and therefore home games, the two-legged proposal will guarantee every Super League club an additional home game to help with lost match-day revenue from fewer league games. It will also reward the four non-Super League sides who make the last sixteen with the opportunity to host a topflight club, and naturally makes the competition that little bit tougher with Super League clubs currently just three wins away from the final.

IMG's proposals have also seen France replace the Combined Nations All-Stars as England's mid-season opponents. The stand alone international weekend in July will also include the women's and wheelchair sides. Furthermore, a new weekend event was spoken about in June to replace the Magic Weekend, though what exactly that event will be is unclear.

A key focus for IMG during their 12-year plan, the Challenge Cup is hoped to be vamped up in the hope of selling out both the semi-finals and final, something they feel will be given a better chance without the Magic Weekend.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... wo-7644925
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan