Agent believes change to marquee player rule could help Super League allowing likes of Warrington Wolves to sign stars i

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Agent believes change to marquee player rule could help Super League allowing likes of Warrington Wolves to sign stars i

Post by josie andrews »

Craig Harrison is one of the best and most well renowned agents in rugby league.

Very much in the know, he has masterminded some of the biggest moves in Super League’s recent history, but those moves might be about to get even bigger.

Star of the brilliant Full 80 minutes podcast, Harrison and co were dissecting the IMG recommendations which were presented to Super League, Championship and League 1 clubs last week.

Set to simplify the calendar, boost international rugby league, and bring back licencing, there’s a lot of change set to sweep through the sport.

But one of the minor tweaks may have one of the biggest impacts according to Harrison.

Speaking about the IMG recommendations, Harrison noted that the marquee signing rule that is currently in place in Super League could have no limit on it meaning clubs could play their star players with no limit.

He used an example of Warrington signing Johnathan Thurston in prime.

Now, after Thurston announced his retirement, the Wolves made him an offer in 2018 much like they did with Greg Inglis after his retirement.

A deal never came off, but under the rules discussed on the Full 80 minutes podcast, Warrington could have made a more substantial move earlier in Thurston’s career as there would have been no limit to what they could offer the star halfback.

The point of this example was to demonstrate that should this unlimited marquee player rule come to pass, it would allow teams to attract more stars and benefit the competition potentially leading to a better TV deal.

Here’s what Harrison had to say on the matter: “A quick one on the salary cap would be this, they’re allowing the marquee and are taking the amount to what I’ve heard that the marquee signing could be more or less anything.

“If that’s true, I could see the direction saying ‘if you are Warrington and you want to get Johnathan Thurston in his prime at 27, Mr Moran loosens the belt and says let’s do it.

It’s brilliant, because that way whenever you approach Sky for that deal, the quality is better.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/agent-be ... ime-59893/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Agent believes change to marquee player rule could help Super League allowing likes of Warrington Wolves to sign sta

Post by medlocke »

Should allow 4 unlimited marques per club, 2 backs & 2 forwards, get some proper quality back into the game, works for me
DaveO

Re: Agent believes change to marquee player rule could help Super League allowing likes of Warrington Wolves to sign sta

Post by DaveO »

What you can pay a marquee player already is unlimited. The only consideration is an NRL trained player would have £150k of his salary count on the cap.

Given currently clubs can only have two marquee players, there is a reason we don’t see the absolute cream of the NRL crop in SL and it’s not that £150k hit on the cap. It’s simply because even money-bags Warrington can’t afford the wages.

This agent is talking out of his arse. Unless IMG manage to secure a massive increase in sponsorship which realistically means more TV money, the clubs can’t afford to bid for top class NRL players.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

As if Thurston would have moved to SL.
I know it's their job but Agents are half the issue. Over valuing players on the back of one good season and causing clubs to release them as they can't afford the next contract.

The cap needs re evaluating first.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:36 am As if Thurston would have moved to SL.
I know it's their job but Agents are half the issue. Over valuing players on the back of one good season and causing clubs to release them as they can't afford the next contract.

Ive said this all along!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:36 am As if Thurston would have moved to SL.

The cap's not the problem. As Dave says its a lack of money in the game.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐