Castleford Tigers confirm Jacob Miller capture as halfback explains Wakefield Trinity exit

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Castleford Tigers confirm Jacob Miller capture as halfback explains Wakefield Trinity exit

Post by josie andrews »

The 30-year-old becomes the Tigers' latest off-season addition

Castleford Tigers have confirmed the signing of Wakefield Trinity captain Jacob Miller. The 30-year-old joins the Tigers on a three-year deal and becomes their third confirmed addition for 2023, joining Albert Vete and Muizz Mustapha.

Miller has spent the last eight seasons with Cas' local rivals, making 200 appearances and scoring 62 tries. He previously played for Hull FC after arriving as a teenager from the NRL, where he made his professional debut with Wests Tigers.

He will forge a new halfback partnership at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle, with former England halfback Gareth Widdop also set to link up with Lee Radford's side next season.

“I’m obviously moving to a cross-town rival but the team and the squad that we are building for next year is really exciting," he said. "It’s probably the main thing that attracted me to come here. I will also be linking up with some familiar faces that I have played with before and been coached by before, that is another thing I am really looking forward to.

“I spent a good year with Radders (Lee Radford) at Hull FC and got on with him really well, unfortunately it didn’t work out at the time, but I am looking forward to linking back up with him again. I spoke to Westy (Joe Westerman) a lot about making the move and he told me that it is a great place to play. It will be nice to be on the other side of the support for once because it is a pretty hostile place to come and play especially when you play for Wakefield. I’ll be glad to have that crowd on my side for once.

Westy helped a lot in terms of me making the decision to come here and he’s definitely someone I can’t wait to be linking up with again. We played some good rugby together over the last few seasons at Wakefield and it will be nice to jump back on board with him again."

His departure is another key loss for Wakefield, who are also looking to replace the likes of James Batchelor and Dave Fifita among others. “It was a tough decision because Wakefield has played a big part in my journey over here and I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the place," Miller added.

I am grateful for everything they have done for me, and it was a decision I didn’t take lightly. It was a great place for me but at the same time, I am looking forward to the new challenge. I had been at the same club for so long, so a change is probably what I needed. The fresh change and a fresh start is something that I needed to take and I am looking forward to doing that.”

Radford added on his new recruit: “He’s a blow torch at half-back. At that point in his career at FC he was a 19-year-old half-back who came over with a reputation of getting the team around the field and I don’t think at that stage of his career that kind of pressure should have been applied to him.

“I’ve stayed in touch with Jacob over the years and off the field I have always got on with him. I said to him four or five years ago that I’m pleased to see the player that he has developed into, and how far he has come since being that fresh-faced novice.

“To get the opportunity to work with him again at this stage in his career, I think he will be great for Castleford Tigers. He was the captain of Wakefield for a number of years, so he’ll bring that vocal side and off the field, he’s going to bring a lot. On the field, he will bring an enormous amount because of his organization and the skill with his kicking game it’s probably an area that we’ve highlighted that we can be better at.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... d-25177024
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan