Australia to wear bizarre squad numbers in Rugby League World Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Australia to wear bizarre squad numbers in Rugby League World Cup

Post by josie andrews »

In this year’s Rugby League World Cup, a few things are being done slightly differently to previous iterations of the tournament.

Not only is it set to be the most inclusive World Cup ever with the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments taking place concurrently, it is also the largest men’s tournament we’ve seen in isolation.

We are also set to see the first use of the 18th man rule in the UK after it was introduced in the NRL meaning that if a team loses three or more players to head injuries they can bring on their 18th man.

Meanwhile, in a shift from previous tournaments, this World Cup is set to use squad numbers. In most international games, teams always where 1-17 with their jersey number reflective of where they were named for that particular fixture.

However, this year’s tournament will see every play given a squad number from 1-24 much like in Super League. These squad numbers are usually also reflective of a player’s position with then first choice fullback wearing one for example.

So, you can expect Sam Tomkins to wear the number one shirt throughout the tournament for England whilst as England’s first choice winger Tommy Makinson will either wear two or five though given he wears two for St Helens it will most likely be the former.

However, this will not be the case for Australia. Going into the World Cup there has been plenty of talk about who will be Mal Meninga’s number seven with a choice between NRL winning hero Nathan Cleary and Daly Cherry-Evans who stood out in the role for the Prime Minister’s XIII the other day.

However, neither will get that shirt number with it going to five-eighth Cameron Munster. Why? Because he is the sixth longest serving Australian international named in the squad.

Except for skipper James Tedesco who will wear the number one shirt – a jersey that does reflect his position – the rest of the numbers are given to reflect a player’s longevity in the international game.

So, as Australia’s longest serving current player Daly Cherry-Evans wears the number two shirt.

This system means we will see winger Josh Addo-Carr wear the number nine shirt and brilliant back Latrell Mitchell wear the number eight.

Those yet to debut for their country wear shirts assigned alphabetically so Nathan Cleary will wear the number 14 shirt.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/australi ... cup-60072/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Australia to wear bizarre squad numbers in Rugby League World Cup

Post by josie andrews »

Why do the arrogant Aussies always want to be different?

Talk about confusing supporters 🤦🏽‍♀️
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

We shudda never gone to squad numbers in the first place….. the old way was easily the best when numbers represented positions
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:47 am We shudda never gone to squad numbers in the first place….. the old way was easily the best when numbers represented positions
I think the same but at least the way we do it here with each team having squad numbers we understand them.

Who is going to know who is playing where with the numbers the Aussies are adapting?? Unless of course like James Tedesco is wearing 1
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I can sort of see where they're coming from but consider how ridiculous this could get: Player 'A' starts the tournament with one more cap than player 'B' and is assigned the lower squad number. Player 'B' plays the first two games whilst 'A' doesn't. Come the next round, does 'B' now get the lower squad number or keep the higher number which no longer serves it's intended purpose? Also, what will they do with the uncapped players?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Isn't it longest serving? So not caps, but when your first cap was? I'm not sure about that though. Seems weird, but hey, its not massively important to me, they can do what they like within the rules laid out.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Yes Mike, I missed the point there. Still tricky for the uncapped players though.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

southportcdm wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:02 pm I can sort of see where they're coming from but consider how ridiculous this could get: Player 'A' starts the tournament with one more cap than player 'B' and is assigned the lower squad number. Player 'B' plays the first two games whilst 'A' doesn't. Come the next round, does 'B' now get the lower squad number or keep the higher number which no longer serves it's intended purpose? Also, what will they do with the uncapped players?
You’ve lost me 😂😂
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Correct they are arrogant, rude and disrespectful!

I was watching a video on YouTube on FOXSports and the Panthers were being slated by the commentary team for being just that! Claiming to be the greatest Panthers team ever after winning back to back titles!

I don't mind losing to Australia (as sadly I expect to), it's the sheer pre match insulting arrogance that accompanies it!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:45 pm Correct they are arrogant, rude and disrespectful!

I was watching a video on YouTube on FOXSports and the Panthers were being slated by the commentary team for being just that! Claiming to be the greatest Panthers team ever after winning back to back titles!

I don't mind losing to Australia (as sadly I expect to), it's the sheer pre match insulting arrogance that accompanies it!
Yes, I agree & I’ve loads of Aussie family & friends & still think they are exactly that!