Coverage!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ian.birchall

Re: Coverage!

Post by ian.birchall »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:15 am The 'technical issue' just about sums our sport up. We had a chance to really put something special on before a big big games in front of a lot of fans in the stadium and no doubt a lot of neutrals on TV. What happens? Nothing. Awkward smiles, commentators struggling to fill the silence. A crowd bemused and somewhat muted during the game (wether that's down to this incident or not it was still a poor atmosphere) and a very bizarre, embarrassing episode. It always seems to be one step forward and two steps back. Like we are still an amateur sport trying to make our way in the world
But the RFL or even RLWC2021 were not responsible for doing the television set up so it was a shambles due to either the BBC or Newcastle United although as my son said when we were rushing to get there past the smashes on the A1 'look on the bright side Dad, we'll miss the 'entertainment'.
The most appalling thing for me, and I don't understand how a Premiership football club backed with mega billions of Saudi oil, can get away with a BIG screen for replays which had a 23inch!! screen, why has no-one who has been to Magic weekend told us about that before.
It wasn't just RL that had technical problems either, the match at Elland Road against Arsenal was stopped after just a minute and did not resume for another 40 minutes until the VAR system computer could be shut down and rebooted.
Thought Wire fans must have been splitting blood when seeing how good a game Williams had, presumably he did not win MOTM because he did not speak with an aussie accent for the BBC post match interview.
OK, perhaps I am just being paranoid.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

thegimble wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:39 am
moto748 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:44 pm The Leb/Kiwis game on i-player was at least a bit more fun with Vossy. Can we clone him and lose some of these dull guys? Especially Jiffy and his "Just watch...".
Noble is the most irritating with "for the viewers at home". Every 5 minutes. Like his teams for us predictable and boring.
+++++1
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

As I said upthread, there's a reason for that. I sometimes think, folk who were born and brought up in Wigan often don't seem to understand the extent to which people in other parts of the country don't know about league, don't really understand that there are two separate sports, etc etc.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

moto748 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:24 pm As I said upthread, there's a reason for that. I sometimes think, folk who were born and brought up in Wigan often don't seem to understand the extent to which people in other parts of the country don't know about league, don't really understand that there are two separate sports, etc etc.
I don't see a problem with using terminology that is easy for a first time/casual viewer or even explaining certain rules etc. It's the constant repetition of 'for the viewers at home' that isn't needed. Fwiw I think Noble is a brilliant commentator and adds value to a commentary team. I think it's the bbc trying to change him a bit.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The audio problems at the start aside, the BBCs coverage was a shambles. Did they have a director that had never done sport before or something? They couldn't get the camera cuts right, they couldn't show timely replays and the VR seemed to be talking to a wall when asking for the angles and speed of the replay. They even have two logos overlapping one-another on the top of the screen (on iplayer, not sure about live) and don't seem to have noticed that yet after 2 days!

The Scotland game had the cameras in a large stand pointing at an empty field and car park making the audience wonder where all the crowd noise was coming from as surely only about 100 people were in attendance.

IMO the ENgland atmosphere in the first half is a factor of RL fans being primarily club fans (look at the Welsby comments on this thread - which i also agree with BTW), and there being so few international games recently so the passion isn't really there. Add that to the change from GB to England which I'm not 100% sure about even now, and you get a crowd looking to be entertained not really passionately supporting one side. I'd imgaine it was more fun in the last 20 minutes!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Watching PNG vs Tonga. Right at kick off the graphic on the screen said England Vs Australia live from Old Trafford :?
doc

Post by doc »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:35 pm Watching PNG vs Tonga. Right at kick off the graphic on the screen said England Vs Australia live from Old Trafford :?
Hope that's the final.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

doc wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:47 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:35 pm Watching PNG vs Tonga. Right at kick off the graphic on the screen said England Vs Australia live from Old Trafford :?
Hope that's the final.
The first try for Tonga 🇹🇴 was forward IMO but Liam Moore awarded it 🤦🏽‍♀️ Second attempt was forward which was stopped for that. The second try was more forward than the one he dismissed!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I'm enjoying this game though.

James Graham and Vossy have a great chemistry as a commentary team. No pitch side reporters, no extras. Just 2 commentators. Very enjoyable
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:12 pm I'm enjoying this game though.

James Graham and Vossy have a great chemistry as a commentary team. No pitch side reporters, no extras. Just 2 commentators. Very enjoyable
Yes I do agree about Vossy & Graham 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan