Rugby League World Cup CEO confirms ticket re-categorisation talks amid fan backlash

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Rugby League World Cup CEO confirms ticket re-categorisation talks amid fan backlash

Post by josie andrews »

Fans have expressed their dismay at the price of tickets for games across the tournament.

Rugby League World Cup chief executive Jon Dutton has expressed his disappointment over the crowd that attended Sunday's match between New Zealand and Lebanon. Just 5,435 fans were at the Halliwell Jones Stadium for the match, which saw the Kiwis run out comfortable winners.

It has led to plenty of discussion online about whether World Cup organisers should slash prices for the remaining group stage fixtures. However, many of the games that will be played over the next fortnight are available to watch at what organisers feel are affordable prices

£25 tickets remain available for Tuesday's game between Tonga and Papua New Guinea, while Wednesday's fixture between Wales and Cook Islands in Leigh can be watched for as little as £15

And while Dutton insists the competition will work with host venues where possible about potential re-categorisation of ticket prices, he couldn't hide his disappointment at the attendance that was in place at Warrington on Sunday.

He said on Twitter: "We are disappointed with the Warrington attendance for the No 1 ranked side NZ. We are working hard with all our hosts through re-categorisation (where possible) and making tickets available to ensure as many as possible can access RLWC2021 tickets

Revenue director Mick Hogan also shared his frustration over that crowd, but said earlier fixtures on Sunday in Newcastle and Leeds were either on or above forecast. World Cup officials are confident this will still be the best-attended tournament in the competition's history

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... d-25290480
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Rugby League World Cup CEO confirms ticket re-categorisation talks amid fan backlash

Post by josie andrews »

Leading Rugby League World Cup official discusses ticket strategy plans after opening weekend of the tournament

Mick Hogan has also shared an impressive revenue figure that has already been broken.

World Cup officials have insisted they have full confidence that their pricing structure for the tournament is suitable and affordable. Over 75,000 fans have attended the first six games of the tournament - but crowds at the most recent two fixtures in Warrington and Doncaster have been disappointing, with both under 6,000.

However, the tournament's revenue director Mick Hogan believes the competition is affordable for all, and ruled out lowering ticket prices in order to honour and respect those who purchased tickets long before the competition began. Some supporters have expressed their frustration over ticket prices for some of the fixtures coming up in the group stages

While many games have affordable tickets still on sale - it costs as little as £25 to watch Tonga play in St Helens on Tuesday evening, for example - there are also high-banded categories reaching as high as £70 for a single ticket for one game. Hogan however, insists the spread across the board is fair and proper

“The prices were set in 2020, long before the cost-of-living crisis, but the affordable tickets are out there," he said.

"Like any event, there will always be premium options available, and some matches are low on lower priced options as some categories have sold out with tickets having been on sale for over two years, but we remain confident that our pricing structure is suitable. We have to acknowledge those fans who purchased two years ago. We promised them the best prices and availability and their support deserves this.

“We are working hard with all our hosts through re-categorisation, where possible, and making restricted view tickets available to ensure as many as possible can access RLWC2021 tickets. I’d urge fans to look at the pricing structure themselves on the website as there are lots of affordable tickets still available across the Men’s, Women’s and Wheelchair matches."

Hogan did admit, however, that he was underwhelmed and disappointed with the crowd that attended New Zealand v Lebanon in Warrington on Sunday, with under 6,000 spectators at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

He said: “The fixtures at Kingston Park and Headingley were either above or on forecast, but I’m sure I speak for everyone about the disappointment of the New Zealand v Lebanon fixture at Warrington. It was a great game, we had the No 1 ranked side in New Zealand, a world-famous coach in Michael Cheika and affordable tickets available."

Hogan also shared positive news on the financial front - with this World Cup already the highest-grossing competition of all-time for ticket sales, with 55 matches still to go.

“This year’s tournament has now generated over £1m more than the 2013 total in ticket sales," he said. "There are still 56 matches to sell so we’re only just getting started

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-25289773
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Re: Rugby League World Cup CEO confirms ticket re-categorisation talks amid fan backlash

Post by fozzieskem »

Thought it was all but sold out the way they were spinning things a few months back not sure what they expected really the prices are at present I feel a tad expensive and if not expensive then thought provoking enough to wonder if its worth getting me coat on and wander up to a ground.

The knock out stages you can argue perhaps the prices at set fairly but still think they.struggle to fill all but the big 3 games though,for months final is way past what I'd pay for a rugby league game so tv it is for me for that one.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

The prices are way too high for the games, central areas of the stands opposite the camera are pretty empty, cost of approx £50 to £80, too much.
Rugby league crowds in general are not going up, so whoever thought it was a good idea to price them so high should loose their job.
Managed to get £25 tickets for the DW quarter final, but otherwise will not be attending any other matches
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Looks like a nice crowd at St Helens for PNG vs Tonga tonight. Expensive seats empty but behind the goals full
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

If I wanted to sit in my own seat it costs £85!

I’ve been trying all afternoon & evening by email as I’m not paying 7p or 10p a minute for 10 minutes of recorded messages & still be in a queue!!

Anyway, I’m already registered with the RFL & have been for at least 15-20 years.

"The RFL are not selling tickets, you need to email RLWC21 for tickets". So sent an email to RLWC 21.

"What is your RFL membership number"? Sent another email with that.

"Sorry, but we will need you to register now with the RLWC21 & create a registration. If you need any help let us know’!

So sent my name address DOB & requested the accessible concession seats I wanted.

Reply "Sorry, the seats you requested are £70, concessions only cover students or U16’s & not for over 60’s or disabled".

If you look at the ticket prices & the blocks which include concessions, nowhere does it state that concessions are only for students & U16’s!

No wonder they are complaining about the attendances from the weekend, except for the England v Samoa game, when they are charging silly prices when there is a national cost of living crisis!

Think I will need to get in touch with the head of ticketing prices as he is an acquaintance of mine & tell him they need to make things clearer.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

i can't help wondering if the 'no old gits discount' on concessions wasn't aimed towards trying to get a more youthful audience for the TV viewers. Maybe.

Anyway, my attitude tends to be, if I'm going to get out in the cold on my bike and spend that money on a ticket, when I could watch it live in the comfort of my living-room, I don't want to to sit in the corner, or behind the goal. I want a decent seat, not too far away from the half-way line. So, the upshot is, I buy an expensive ticket. Or I don't bother, if I feel I can't afford it. Which will probably be the case for the Final.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:46 pm Looks like a nice crowd at St Helens for PNG vs Tonga tonight. Expensive seats empty but behind the goals full
Tight fisted bar stewards at Saints!
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

I managed to buy all my tickets online (2 Scotland# semi @ Emirates and final). The only gripe I have is you can only choose a section in the ground not an actual seat . The upshot of this is although I got the section I wanted for the final I am in row 3 so very low down when I prefer to be higher . You can normally choose your own seats for big matches why not this time .

#Should have been 3 Scotland but I am not traveling to Coventry on a Friday night out of principal even though I will miss watching the Aussies live .

Scotland 2 games @ Kingston Park £20 each
Semi @ Emirates £30
Final @ OT £54

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:26 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:46 pm Looks like a nice crowd at St Helens for PNG vs Tonga tonight. Expensive seats empty but behind the goals full
Tight fisted bar stewards at Saints!
I'd be exactly the same for a neutral game in all fairness.