Ex-Leeds Rhinos assistant Sean Long captures second Super League signing for Featherstone Rovers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ex-Leeds Rhinos assistant Sean Long captures second Super League signing for Featherstone Rovers

Post by josie andrews »

Earlier this week Sean Long made his first signing as Featherstone Rovers boss and now the former Leeds Rhinos assistant has added his second.

His first came in the shape of former Wigan centre Chris Hankinson who had previously starred at London and Toulouse.

Whilst at Toulouse in 2022 Hankinson showed his versatility in playing fullback and stand-off.

Long has again looked to France to bring in talent adding his second signing from Toulouse’s French rivals Catalans.

This comes in the shape of one of the many players the Dragons released at the end of the season as Long adds Catalans forward Mathieu Cozza to his 2023 squad.

On signing for the Rovers, Cozza told their website: “I’m really pleased to be joining Featherstone Rovers, I can’t wait to meet everyone and to get started and to do my best to help the club achieve its ambitions in 2023.”

Head Coach Sean Long commented; “I’m very pleased to add Mathieu to our group of players, Mathieu brings a lot of youth and energy, with the experienced heads in the pack, I’m confident that we can provide an environment for him to develop further as a forward.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/ex-leeds ... ers-60676/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Ex-Leeds Rhinos assistant Sean Long captures second Super League signing for Featherstone Rovers

Post by fozzieskem »

What on earth is going on at Toulouse Hankinson was excellent all season long yet he’s now gone?

Very odd
moto748

Re: Ex-Leeds Rhinos assistant Sean Long captures second Super League signing for Featherstone Rovers

Post by moto748 »

Maybe he'd prefer to be back in England? Living abroad doesn't suit everyone.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

By all accounts ts Toulouse have about 8 players left something isn't right over there it seems to me
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:40 am What on earth is going on at Toulouse Hankinson was excellent all season long yet he’s now gone?

Very odd

Had a deal agreed to stay then toulouse renaged on the deal pulled it off the table last minute

Understand Hank had other offers to stay in SL but ££££ talks in pro sport
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:06 pm By all accounts ts Toulouse have about 8 players left something isn't right over there it seems to me
if i recall correctly their introduction in to SL was hampered as 2 or 3 of their star players walked before they played a game this season.

i can sort of understand only 8 players remaining if they need to cut their cloth accordingly / contracts were only SL contracts etc, but does leave them in danger of missing out on challenging for promotion (thats if it exists after the end of next season :) )
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

moto748 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:33 am Maybe he'd prefer to be back in England? Living abroad doesn't suit everyone.

Taken from his FB post think he was quite happy being in France

"I didn’t expect it to come to an end like this but I just want to say, what a year it’s been. Firstly living in France and being part of Toulouse’s first year in Super League. It’s been one of the best experiences I’ve ever had" and I can only thank the club, staff and players. I wish Toulouse all the best for the future and hope to see them back up one day. What a ride. Hank ✌🏼

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1211300351
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:58 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:06 pm By all accounts ts Toulouse have about 8 players left something isn't right over there it seems to me
if i recall correctly their introduction in to SL was hampered as 2 or 3 of their star players walked before they played a game this season.

i can sort of understand only 8 players remaining if they need to cut their cloth accordingly / contracts were only SL contracts etc, but does leave them in danger of missing out on challenging for promotion (thats if it exists after the end of next season :) )
Listening to the 40/20 podcast they raised a point they may just let this season go by,bring in young French lads to steady the ship in preparation for the IMG led new era..all speculation but kind of makes sense if say fev are going for broke why waste money on players and wait your turn as and when grading comes in