'He sold it to me': how James McDonnell was persuaded to join Leeds Rhinos by 'rugby nerd' Rohan Smith

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

'He sold it to me': how James McDonnell was persuaded to join Leeds Rhinos by 'rugby nerd' Rohan Smith

Post by josie andrews »

New signing James McDonnell has revealed how “rugby nerd” Rohan Smith persuaded him to join Leeds Rhinos.

McDonnell was Smith’s first recruit as Rhinos coach, putting pen to paper in July on a two-year deal beginning next season.

He has yet to establish himself in Betfred Super League, despite a handful of appearances for Wigan Warriors, but was spotted when Smith scoured the English game for talent at the start of his time with Rhinos.

McDonnell, who played on loan for Leigh Centurions in their Championship Grand Final win over Batley Bulldogs last month, vowed: “I am here to play, that’s why I made the move.”

He said: “There’s no guarantees, I have to come in, get my head down and do what’s asked of me.

“Rohan is a bit of a rugby nerd, he said he watched as much film as possible when he first came over and I was one of the lads who jumped out at him.

“I was a bit unsure of my future at Wigan, there not quite being the pathway in place for me with two England international back-rowers there.

“I was weighing up my options, Leeds came in and I spoke to Rohan and met him straight away and he just sold it to me.

He is really smart, he said he has never played the game himself so he can’t give me all the physical aspects and the aggression stuff, but he said I’ve got that in boatloads anyway so he can just add to my game with the technicality and all that stuff.”

McDonnell admitted Rhinos’ interest took him by surprise. He added: “I was playing in the Championship at Leigh, who are obviously a good side, but when we first had talks I’d made three appearances for Wigan over the space of two years.

McDonnell said Leeds “being a great place to live” was another selling point and the World Cup has given him an early chance to get his bearings.

“I have been focused on Ireland up to now, we are based in Leeds and it’s a good taster for me to be in and around the city,” he stated.

“We’ve got Bentos - James Bentley - and Richie Myler in the squad and they’ve been pretty welcoming.”

Bentley could line up alongside McDonnell in Leeds’ second-row, though Papua New Guinea captain Rhyse Martin and 2022 Super League young player of the year nominee Morgan Gannon will make it tough for the new boy to secure a spot.

Of his first taste of playing alongside Bentley, McDonnell said: “On Sunday, I was in the middle, then I moved to the edge and Bentos went to the middle. He looks good there, I like his style of play.”

A substitute for Ireland against Jamaica, McDonnell revealed: “Rohan messaged me after the game saying he hoped I got a good feel for the new turf, which will be my home for the next two years.

It was surreal, when I got the try I didn’t think much of it at the time, but I went over to my family after the game and they were bursting with pride.

“My dad is a very proud Irishman and I’ve got family over there in County Mayo, Dublin and Cork and they are all watching.”

A win over Lebanon at Leigh on Sunday would guarantee Ireland’s place in the quarter-finals, potentially setting up a showdown with world champions Australia.

Ireland are back at Headingley to play New Zealand on Friday, October 28 and McDonnell’s next appearance there could be in the Festive Challenge derby against Wakefield Trinity on December 27.

“I am going to start [with Rhinos] at the back end of November,” he confirmed. “After this camp is done I’ll get a bit of time off and then straight back into it.

“I love new starts and going to new teams. I went to York [on loan] and really tried to leave my mark there, at Leigh we did great things this year and I am really looking forward to it.”

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... th-3884070
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: 'He sold it to me': how James McDonnell was persuaded to join Leeds Rhinos by 'rugby nerd' Rohan Smith

Post by josie andrews »

I was a bit unsure of my future at Wigan, there not quite being the pathway in place for me with two England international back-rowers there.
Same reason KPP will leave!!

We’ve got Bentos - James Bentley -
Why do we have call players stupid nicknames as they do in the NRL??

I hate it! May as well call him “Fray’!! 😉😉
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Caboosegg

Re: 'He sold it to me': how James McDonnell was persuaded to join Leeds Rhinos by 'rugby nerd' Rohan Smith

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:06 am
I was a bit unsure of my future at Wigan, there not quite being the pathway in place for me with two England international back-rowers there.

So who do we believe? Peet being annoyed as there was very much a pathway or McDonnell who is now a Leeds player?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:13 am

So who do we believe? Peet being annoyed as there was very much a pathway or McDonnell who is now a Leeds player?
i think the difficulty is how soon does the player think they will be getting 1st team rugby (whether they are ready or not). Faz has another 3 years left and Bateman (assuming he doesnt move on) will still have several years left in him.

They may not be happy with a coach saying you will get a couple of games per season unless someone gets injured and look elsewhere

the flip side if we look at Halsall, is he has left Wigan to Hudds and seemingly gone further back down the pecking order. I'm not sure about McDonnell at Leeds, but pretty sure he wont be in a much better position this coming season
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

the pieman wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:44 am

i think the difficulty is how soon does the player think they will be getting 1st team rugby (whether they are ready or not). Faz has another 3 years left and Bateman (assuming he doesnt move on) will still have several years left in him.

They may not be happy with a coach saying you will get a couple of games per season unless someone gets injured and look elsewhere

the flip side if we look at Halsall, is he has left Wigan to Hudds and seemingly gone further back down the pecking order. I'm not sure about McDonnell at Leeds, but pretty sure he wont be in a much better position this coming season
Always a tricky balancing act, the alternaive would be once you get a promising youngster you tell your experienced pro that they will now be getting a couple of games a season....I'd argue that would be worse?

I wonder if RL could look at increasing the size of the bench - something like 6 players and the same number of interchanges?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It seems to me the way that story is selling it Leeds have got a wunderkind in their ranks now,when in truth what they’ve got is an untested lad who,or may not kick on and become a good player,it’s just to early to say as yet he won’t have a guaranteed starting role yet,no matter what smith has promised him,I do wish the lad well but let’s manage expectations first with him.

As for “bentos”what a stupid name,Christ it reminds me of fray bentos.

Edited just to add there’s always the “next big thing”in sport,Jack walker it seems is on his way out of Leeds to Bradford wasn’t he going to be the next big thing?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

O’Donnell maybe a promising youngster but it doesn’t mean he will fulfill it, many don’t.
Also some players have no patience, he maybe ready but I’m sure Peet would of put him in the side if he felt he was ready.
Time will soon tell
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:08 am
the pieman wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:44 am

Always a tricky balancing act, the alternaive would be once you get a promising youngster you tell your experienced pro that they will now be getting a couple of games a season....I'd argue that would be worse?

I wonder if RL could look at increasing the size of the bench - something like 6 players and the same number of interchanges?
i agree re the difficult conversations, always going to be easier to tell a younger player he's not playing than an experienced 1st team player.
i think the last young player we saw, who many would have thought need to be in the 1st team was probably Sam after his debut, but even then it took a while for him to gain a regular 1st team spot.

i like the idea of an increased bench size as a way to get young players into the squad / 1st team experience. Hopefully though the reserves will get some of the younger lads some decent experience. We often forget that we havent had that for them over the last 2-3 years, so if they werent getting 1st team time, they werent getting games
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

A load of rubbish. His pathway is as bad at Leeds . What else can he say. Also imo Kpp completely different not losing him because of lack of playing time. It's because he is a talented player who always wants to test himself and where better than best comp in world rugby. He has all attributes to be big in Australia and good luck to the lad.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:18 am It seems to me the way that story is selling it Leeds have got a wunderkind in their ranks now,when in truth what they’ve got is an untested lad who,or may not kick on and become a good player,it’s just to early to say as yet he won’t have a guaranteed starting role yet,no matter what smith has promised him,I do wish the lad well but let’s manage expectations first with him.

As for “bentos”what a stupid name,Christ it reminds me of fray bentos.

Edited just to add there’s always the “next big thing”in sport,Jack walker it seems is on his way out of Leeds to Bradford wasn’t he going to be the next big thing?
That’s exactly what I said 😂