Aus V Scotland

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
nathan_rugby

Re: Aus V Scotland

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:26 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:46 am
the pieman wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:36 am i watched both games Oz v Scotland and NZ v Jamaica over the weekend and enjoyed the skill and commitment on show in both games

yes they were both blow outs, but that happens in all sports when the best teams in the world play lesser nations, its not just RL for all the doom mongers. At the end of the day both Scotland and Jamaica contain semi pro / amateur players (could be incorrect on that part) playing against players who play in the NRL week in week out

The try that Jamaica scored v NZ probably brought me my biggest smile of the weekend. You could genuinely see how much it meant to them. The game plan that they used to try and disrupt NZ was a little strange, but they know they cant compete with a traditional game plan over 80 mins, so must be applauded for trying something different

The only way that the lesser nations are going to improve is by playing better sides on a regular basis. Whilst i love watching a test series / tri-nations with Oz and NZ, i would now love to see Tonga, Samoa, PNG etc come over and play games v England / Scotland / Wales / Ireland / France. Lets get those guys over here regularly as well and see a properly developed international calendar

onto players switching allegience, again, its not only RL that it happens, but i do agree if you make a decision to represent one country, then that should be it. Not chop and change because you can get a gig with another nation
Only to a certain extent.

You can improve the international calendar as much as you want but until Jamaica or Greece or Scotland have their own domestic game then there is a ceiling to their potential.
true, but i look at Italy / Argentina in RU, and there is no doubt that they have improved (dont know how good their domestic competitions are) internationally over a period of years and some of that must be down to playing at that standard year on year

for me, i would just like to see a properly defined RL international calendar, but it has to include developing nations playing against the top nations too. As i said i would love to see games v the South Sea island teams. There is no doubt that over the last 5-10 years that they have improved massively and they are beneffiting from their players playing in the NRL / SL, but more so, that those players are now choosing to play for their country of birth and not just Oz / Nz
One likelihood I forsee is all the Aussies making up teams like Scotland and Lebanon and even the island teams not wanting to participate in mid season internationals.

It’s a hunch but I’m guessing half these players are only doing it because it’s a World Cup and they wouldn’t get picked for Aus or NZ.

Will Mitchell Moses really want to play for Lebanon mid season against Greece? (Random example).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:47 am
the pieman wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:26 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:46 am

Only to a certain extent.

You can improve the international calendar as much as you want but until Jamaica or Greece or Scotland have their own domestic game then there is a ceiling to their potential.
true, but i look at Italy / Argentina in RU, and there is no doubt that they have improved (dont know how good their domestic competitions are) internationally over a period of years and some of that must be down to playing at that standard year on year

for me, i would just like to see a properly defined RL international calendar, but it has to include developing nations playing against the top nations too. As i said i would love to see games v the South Sea island teams. There is no doubt that over the last 5-10 years that they have improved massively and they are beneffiting from their players playing in the NRL / SL, but more so, that those players are now choosing to play for their country of birth and not just Oz / Nz
One likelihood I forsee is all the Aussies making up teams like Scotland and Lebanon and even the island teams not wanting to participate in mid season internationals.

It’s a hunch but I’m guessing half these players are only doing it because it’s a World Cup and they wouldn’t get picked for Aus or NZ.

Will Mitchell Moses really want to play for Lebanon mid season against Greece? (Random example).
i'd start off with a tour(s) at the end of the season. Granted they wouldn't be anything like what they were historically, but having a test series to look forwards to either over here or down under, would be a starter. 1 or 2 warm up games, followed by 3 tests could be done over a 5 week period at the end of the season (top 2 in the league for example get the games v tourists)

Mid-season tests possibly wont work, and take on board your points, especially if the Ozzies dont buy into it. They dont like the idea, and are happy with NRL / State of Origin.

However, over here, if IMG can get the club structure / season correct, then i dont see why they couldnt build in a test series mid-season, which gives some of the players a mid-season rest, and looks to build international RL with something meaningful. i would personally prefer something like this instead of the loop fixtures which i really dont like.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

There's no way the NRL will smaction a mid season test over here so that's out for starters but hopefully an end of season tour can be sorted but I won't hold my breath.

I wonder about the health of league in Scotland among grassroots it's always been a union hotbed to me but if there is why don't certainly in pre season all SL clubs reach out and have camps up there to foster interest in the game?

The sooner everyone realises that the international game will lead to better finances the better but what hope is there when we can't agree on one set of rules for the game?
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

https://www.scotlandrl.com/squads/

https://www.scotlandrl.com/get-involved ... al-league/

5 team National league .

Any exposure to professional clubs can only help development. The four nations which included Australia , New Zealand , England and Scotland was a great development opportunity for Scottish RL and they played to a good standard drawing with New Zealand and running England close for about and hour in Coventry . These high profile tournaments attract Aussie heritage player though to the exclusion of home grown talent . It's a vicious circle do you include local lads and risk a hammering or import heritage players

Who knows

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:25 am There's no way the NRL will smaction a mid season test over here so that's out for starters but hopefully an end of season tour can be sorted but I won't hold my breath.

I wonder about the health of league in Scotland among grassroots it's always been a union hotbed to me but if there is why don't certainly in pre season all SL clubs reach out and have camps up there to foster interest in the game?

The sooner everyone realises that the international game will lead to better finances the better but what hope is there when we can't agree on one set of rules for the game?
i wouldnt propose any of the southern hemisphere nations for a mid season test (s), but there is no reason why we cant do something along the lines of a 6 nations or tests involving those sides. If the league calendar drops the loop fixtures, then there is no reason why you couldnt have a 3 test series against one of the other home nations / france or italy, built into the calendar

at the minute if we compare league to union, the massive difference is the international game. It is a cash cow for RU, and something league should aspire to replicate. Why should we not attract sellouts for England internationals, if as a game they get the international fixtures right. i've posted previously in the late 80's / early 90s we attracted big crowds at Wembley, Old Trafford and Ellend Rd. Nowadays we are happy with near sell outs at Wigan, Hudds, Hull etc, so approx 25k max, compared to 50k+ not too many years back. Somehow we have managed to decline the international game on one hand (comparing GB v Oz a few years ago), but equally i am really happy to see the development of the other nations in this world cup and have really enjoyed watching the south sea island teams, Jamaica, Scotland, Lebanon etc, and that must be the foundation to taking the game forwards internationally in the future