Tonga vs Wales records impressive attendance at St Helens’ Totally Wicked Stadium

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Tonga vs Wales records impressive attendance at St Helens’ Totally Wicked Stadium

Post by josie andrews »

There has been so much talk about attendances since the World Cup began.

England vs Samoa at St James’ Park got things off to a brilliant start in front of a sell out crowd and the third highest attendance ever for a World Cup opener with over 43,000 fans in attendance in Newcastle.

Later that day, over 13,000 fans took to Leeds Rhinos’ Headingley Stadium for Australia vs Fiji.

However, only one other game in the opening round reached five figures and that was the game of the round in terms of the closeness of the scoreline as Tonga beat Papua New Guinea at St Helens’ Totally Wicked Stadium 24-18 in front of over 10,000 fans.

Most other games had over 6,000 fans in attendance – the average – but Greece vs France recorded the lowest at 4,000 whilst New Zealand’s first game of the tournament against Lebanon at Warrington Wolves’ Halliwell Jones Stadium only attracted 5,000 with Chief Executive of the tournament Jon Dutton described as “disappointing” especially with the world number one ranked team playing and considering their first game of the 2013 World Cup at the same venue had a crowd of 15,000.

In week two, most attendances have again been around 6,000. England and France was played in front of 23,000 whilst Australia vs Scotland was played in front of 10,000 fans.

The lowest again came from Doncaster at the Eco-Power Stadium as Greece lost to Samoa in front of 4,400 fans.

However, once again the game at the Totally Wicked Stadium impressed in terms of attendance.

Though not the 10,000 fans who showed up for Tonga vs Papua New Guinea, the game again had the third highest attendance of the round with 7,752 as Kristian Woolf’s Tonga side beat Wales 32-6.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/tonga-vs ... ium-61009/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Tonga vs Wales records impressive attendance at St Helens’ Totally Wicked Stadium

Post by josie andrews »

Can the people running this event not get it into their heads that people are struggling at this moment in time?

There are no concession prices for over 60’s. And I just feel their ticket pricing is too high!

The only concession prices are for students & U16’s.

I understand they want to attract younger people to the game but they should still recognise the ‘older’ element of supporters of which there are many!

My own seat at the DW alone was £85! I only pay £135 for a season ticket! Even the guy sorting my ticket out commented on that.

I have bought one for the quarter final game, £55, fingers crossed my next op is after that game at least.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Tonga vs Wales records impressive attendance at St Helens’ Totally Wicked Stadium

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:13 am Can the people running this event not get it into their heads that people are struggling at this moment in time?

There are no concession prices for over 60’s. And I just feel their ticket pricing is too high!

My own seat at the DW alone was £85! I only pay £135 for a season ticket!

I have bought one for the quarter final game, fingers crossed my next op is after that game!, £55!
i think they are now being stubborn about it and will not budge on ticket prices as they can say its been the most successful world cup ever in terms of revenue etc

but i really do think they have missed a trick as they would probably have got around 10-12k if the tickets had been priced appropriately. no coincidence that the seating at the ends of the stands were most populated, so that should just tell them everything. the seats that no-one wants normally, are the ones that are full

surely they could also have come up with something for the Tonga games at Saints, 2 for 50 / 60 or 2 standing for 30 and get people back. Not sure how practical that would be for other teams, i just know Tonga have had 2 games at Saints and something like that would work
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."