Rugby league plans to join Olympics by 2032: ‘Why can’t you have two disciplines of rugby?’

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Rugby league plans to join Olympics by 2032: ‘Why can’t you have two disciplines of rugby?’

Post by josie andrews »

International Rugby League are targeting a World Cup in the USA and inclusion in the Olympics as part of a huge revamp for the sport, chairman Troy Grant tells John Davidson

International Rugby League chairman Troy Grant is pushing ahead with the sport’s bid to join the Summer Olympics in Brisbane in 2032, with the aim to hold the World Cup in the United States in 2033.

Grant has told i that the 13-man code will not take its World Cup to the US in 2029, as originally hoped, but instead four years later with a Pacific-focused tournament now the target for 2029.

The IRL is also aiming for Australia touring the UK and France in 2024, the year before France hosts the World Cup, in the first full Kangaroos tour to the northern hemisphere since 1994.

Grant said the IRL’s goal is to have the nine-player version of the sport as part of the Olympics in Australia in 2032, in both the women’s and men’s formats, as well as wheelchair rugby league joining the Paralympics.

That’s our aspiration,” he told i. “I’ve already met with Queensland government officials who are keen and supportive. We just need to put our best foot forward and put our case forward.

“There’s a process and as an international sporting federation you have to comply with access, equity, anti-doping rules, all these standards and consistencies across your operations, which we’re well on our way to achieving.

“[That] we could offer wheelchair rugby league in the Paralympics as well [is appealing].

“It’s in the nines format we’ll be pitching, because the reality is the Olympics are faced with challenges of catering for big teams. People ask can you have both rugby union sevens and rugby league nines? Of course you can.

“They’re different games, you’ve got how many disciplines of shooting, cycling, swimming – why can’t you have two disciplines of rugby?

“That’s the argument, plus it’s men’s and women’s. Also we have 58 member federations, which is a pretty good spread. And if you added a nines format some of our lesser nations would be more competitive. That’s all options that will be part of our bid process.”

Political infighting and governance issues in domestic rugby league means the World Cup will not be staged in America in 2029.

Instead a Pacific-themed tournament, involving New Zealand and potentially staging games in countries like Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and even Vanuatu, is now the target.

“America is probably one cycle too soon in reality,” Grant said. “So I’m thinking 2033 is more realistic for America. With two back-to-back northern hemisphere World Cups I think it makes sense to target the southern hemisphere for 2029.

“So a Pacific World Cup is interesting, where we could even include Hawaii. We have an agenda item, a committee established now to not only look at 2029, but three cycles of the World Cup ahead.”

Grant says New Zealand have shown interest in hosting the World Cup in 2029, but several options are being considered.

“It may involve Australia co-hosting in 2029, it may not,” he said. “It may be New Zealand and the genuine Pacific potentially, it could be anything. It may not be the Pacific at all. That’s just where logic needs you and I know New Zealand are keen for it.

“There’s no reason you can’t hold pool games in Tonga or Samoa. It would be exciting for the sport. There’s no reason why you can’t hold a game in Vanuatu or Hawaii.

“That might be a smart way to go to get a foot in the door of America as well. It gets to showcase the rugby league to American television interest and guarantees America a berth as a host. They’re all the things in the mix.”

The IRL is hopeful of announcing its new international calendar in December. England is currently hosting the World Cup, and Grant has been pleased with the tournament’s success.

“The first two weeks of the tournament has been part-celebration, it’s been joyous,” Grant said. “The players have been excellent, the officials have been great. Obviously the atmosphere at the games has been terrific. There’s been lots of commentary around the crowd sizes and ticketing etc, but in the scheme of things I couldn’t be happier and we’ve been grateful.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ ... TO=newsnow
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan