Princess of Wales to attend England's Rugby League World Cup doubleheader in Wigan

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Princess of Wales to attend England's Rugby League World Cup doubleheader in Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

England's men's and women's teams will both play

Catherine, Princess of Wales, will attend England's Rugby League World Cup doubleheader this Saturday. The country's men's and women's sides will both feature at the DW Stadium, Wigan, with Shaun Wane's side taking on Papua New Guinea in the quarter-finals. Meanwhile, the women's side will take on Canada in their second group game of the tournament.

And the Princess will be there in some capacity in what is likely to be a sell-out crowd as the tournament begins to ramp up. Last February, the Princess of Wales was named the Rugby Football League's new patron, taking over the role from the Duke of Sussex who famously conducted the World Cup draw at Buckingham Palace in 2020.

It's a major boost for both the tournament and the sport. The Princess will become the first Royal to formally attend a rugby league match since the Duke of Sussex watched the Challenge Cup Final in 2019.

It has been a successful tournament for England so far. The men's side has come through the group stages undefeated while the PDRL side was crowned world champions last week. The women's side begin their campaign on Tuesday against Brazil in Leeds while the wheelchair side play Australia at the Copper Box Arena, London, this Thursday.

Simon Johnson, Chair of the RFL, said: “We will be delighted and honoured to welcome the Princess of Wales for the first time as the RFL’s Royal Patron. With both our England Women and Men’s teams playing important World Cup matches on Saturday, her presence will enhance a special occasion for our sport, for the World Cup and for the famous Rugby League town of Wigan.”

Chris Brindley, Chair of RLWC2021, said: “In being the biggest, best and most inclusive tournament in the sport’s 127-year history, it is an honour and a privilege to be able to host the Princess of Wales at a Rugby League World Cup 2021 match day and we look forward to our competing nations putting on a show to remember.”

All 61 games of the tournament are being broadcast on the BBC. Saturday's men's game will be live on BBC 1 (2.30 KO), while the women's game will be on BBC 2, with coverage beginning at midday.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Princess of Wales to attend England's Rugby League World Cup doubleheader in Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

How good is this? Brilliant.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Charriots Offiah

Re: Princess of Wales to attend England's Rugby League World Cup doubleheader in Wigan

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:56 am How good is this? Brilliant.
It’s fantastic.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:23 pm
It’s fantastic.
what would be even better was if she went to Greggs with Vossy and tried a pie :), and tweeted about it :)

on a serious note though, great PR for the game that the Princess of Wales is attending the game
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:32 pm
It’s fantastic.
what would be even better was if she went to Greggs with Vossy and tried a pie :), and tweeted about it :)

on a serious note though, great PR for the game that the Princess of Wales is attending the game
Surely there's better pie shops in Wigan than Greggs? :lol:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

There are better pie shops in St Helens than Greggs!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I saw waney today when I went down to Robin Park & said how good it was that she was coming on Saturday.

So I then said "get a grip of her & bring her into ‘fanzone’ for a pie & a pint",he thought it was hilarious 😂
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:32 pm
It’s fantastic.

Pieman have you got an interest in Greggs? Vossy likes Galloways.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:55 pm I saw waney today when I went down to Robin Park & said how good it was that she was coming on Saturday.

So I then said "get a grip of her & bring her into ‘fanzone’ for a pie & a pint",he thought it was hilarious 😂
:D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:48 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:55 pm I saw waney today when I went down to Robin Park & said how good it was that she was coming on Saturday.

:D
I even text Kris Rads about bringing her HRH to the fanzone, he replied we’ve "Zero chance. The Secret Service have been planning it for weeks. Meticulous operation”.