Leeds Rhinos open quota spot as Matt Prior announces abrupt retirement

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds Rhinos open quota spot as Matt Prior announces abrupt retirement

Post by josie andrews »

The Australian has ended his playing career with immediate effect.

Matt Prior says the Super League Grand Final was the ideal way to bring down the curtain on his playing career after the Leeds Rhinos prop confirmed his retirement with immediate effect. The 35-year-old will head home after three seasons with Leeds, during which time he played on 63 occasions.

Prior's retirement gives Leeds extra opportunity to bolster their squad elsewhere should they wish - with his decision to finish playing also freeing up a spot on the Rhinos' overseas quota, too. The Australian said that he felt the time was right to hang up his boots.

It’s a decision I haven’t taken lightly but to finish with the Rhinos in a Grand Final seems like a fitting way to bring my career to a close," he said. “I’ve been fortunate to play for so long in the NRL and Super League without too many injuries and I can look back with so many good memories.

My last three years in Leeds with the Rhinos have been especially good for me and my family. I would like to thank all the players, staff and fans for their welcome and support."

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington admitted Prior's retirement does give the club scope to move in the transfer market should they wish to do so.

He said: “Matt will retire with everyone’s best wishes having served the team and club so well over the past three seasons. His retirement will now provide an opportunity to recruit another senior player to the squad, if need be.”

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugb ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Leeds Rhinos open quota spot as Matt Prior announces abrupt retirement

Post by josie andrews »

Prior's retirement gives Leeds extra opportunity to bolster their squad elsewhere should they wish - with his decision to finish playing also freeing up a spot on the Rhinos' overseas quota, too. The Australian said that he felt the time was right to hang up his boots.
How convenient!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:40 am

How convenient!!
i suppose the only question would relate to his contract if he had anything remaining with Leeds, and if so, how was that terminated / paid out
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hardaker has already gone now Prior. That will be a fair amount off their salary cap plus the spare overseas quota.
Getting their fans expecting a top class overseas player.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:34 pm

How convenient!!
i suppose the only question would relate to his contract if he had anything remaining with Leeds, and if so, how was that terminated / paid out
If he’s retired and it’s his decision, then his contract gets terminated and he gets paid nothing ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:17 pm

How convenient!!
If he’s retired and it’s his decision, then his contract gets terminated and he gets paid nothing ?
He’s been paid off.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:15 pm Hardaker has already gone now Prior. That will be a fair amount off their salary cap plus the spare overseas quota.
Getting their fans expecting a top class overseas player.
Leeds offer to Hardaker was a poor one hence his move to Leigh.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

How convenient!!
If it's totally his decision, why not at the end of the season? The fact it's been announced now suggests he may have had some "encouragement"?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'll say this: I think he's been a surprisingly good signing forLeeds; I thought he might be over just for the holiday, at his age, but he's impressed me when he's played for them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:15 pm

He’s been paid off.
It will have to count against the salary cap then.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."