Great Britain legend calls out Super League salary cap as reason for competition’s decline

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Welski

Re: Great Britain legend calls out Super League salary cap as reason for competition’s decline

Post by Welski »

Spending big on 2 players is extremely risky in such a high contact sport in addition there is no guarantee they would make a difference in an average team.

The cap works if RL in the UK wants to remain where it is both on the field (relative to. NRL) and off it in terms of sponsorship media interest etc.

The comment about Sam tomkins is spot on - the sport had a superstar and was beginning to attract a wider audience.

Scrap the cap take a risk and see what happens.
The PL analogy is fair - let the market decide if there really is interest in the sport and money to be made then investors will get involved and the standard will improve games will be more of a spectacle.
If it fails the sport won’t be too far away from where it is heading now.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Wintergreen

Re: Great Britain legend calls out Super League salary cap as reason for competition’s decline

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:03 pm
thegimble wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:47 pm
archiekeith wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:44 pm
To compare SL with NRL then jointly compared with Premier League football is frankly a non sequitur and financially commercially absurd
Did not compare both pl and us. You missed my point.

We outmuscled NRL financially pre 2000. Cap came in so low its watered down SL.
I'm not sure many clubs are pushing for it to be increased. Afterall, you can spend as much as you like on 2 players, but how many clubs actually do that? I think supporters have to get real and understand that the game is just trying to survive financially right now, not being held back from spending wildly to bring in all the top superstars from NRL and union.
I think that is a fair summary.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Mike. Good post

I am not asking for a stupid cap but cap the top teams can aspire for. Were running way too low and its not as the clubs have to spend to the limit its a choice. The game today has an English superstar in Dom Young pity we will not see him and markated here.

As a Welshman i love seeing England lose but in league i am England fan and hope we get into the final minimum to eaise public awareness. That's the way forward pity Aus is so good
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:45 pm
First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:11 am The salary cap was brought in, to level the playing field, but in reality, it's just made the strongest sides weaker and the smaller sides still weak. We still have the same sides competing for the trophies and the very few winning them. Fans want to see the superstars of the game, but if they are English they leave for Aus and if they are overseas they are often past it and fail to make an impression.

But also, with levelling the playing field you end up with poorly supported side pushing for the top, and poor crowds don't make new fans want to attend games. Huddersfield are one of the top teams, but we don't even open the north stand for them, and fans know this and know there will be no atmosphere.

This season we really could see Huddersfield and Catalans in a final, this might as well be held at Salford instead of Old Trafford.
This is the biggest myth about the Salary Cap. It was brought in to prevent clubs from overspending. The whole "level the playing field" nonsense was applied later when certain clubs in Yorkshire realised that they still couldn't win anything. Add to that the RFL who were about as commercially minded as Liz Truss and you get the shambles that the structure is today.
bradford, celtic and toronto proved it doesnt work then
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:27 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:03 pm
thegimble wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:47 pm

Did not compare both pl and us. You missed my point.

We outmuscled NRL financially pre 2000. Cap came in so low its watered down SL.
I'm not sure many clubs are pushing for it to be increased. Afterall, you can spend as much as you like on 2 players, but how many clubs actually do that? I think supporters have to get real and understand that the game is just trying to survive financially right now, not being held back from spending wildly to bring in all the top superstars from NRL and union.
I think that is a fair summary.
I agree it's realistic ,common sense. Wigan went in the direction under Mo and look what happened. Enough said.
Welski

Post by Welski »

thegimble wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:44 pm
As a Welshman i love seeing England lose but in league i am England fan and hope we get into the final minimum to eaise public awareness. That's the way forward pity Aus is so good
Why is your xenophobia so specific?
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Welski wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:24 pm
thegimble wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:44 pm
Why is your xenophobia so specific?
Lets see Tory Gov. Kelvin McKenzie, Tony Blair, Boris Johnson, Royal Family, Sun Newspaper, Thatcher many more.

Dad lost jobs under Thatcher which were taken to England. Which started the end if the town i lice in. English millionaires buying welsh homes as second homes and destroying villages and towns for a holiday home which is used 2 weeks a year. Leaving once prosperous villages desimated.

Have loads of readons those are a few.