England Vs PNG

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: England Vs PNG

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:49 pm Let's not forget the organisers weird obsession with large grounds it was supposed to be Anfield this game was being played at but covid put paid to that idea(thankfully) time and again we have seen empty looking grounds in this world cup and 23 k in the DW looks a.damn sight better than the same.number in Liverpool,it would have looked empty,so more by luck than judgment wigan got the game.and put on a fine show.
Was your seat okay Fozzie?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Enjoyed both games but can't believe they ran out of Pies!! A bag of beef crisps is simply not the same!!
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Not a good crowd at the MKM in Hull!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
endoman

Post by endoman »

TravellingWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:58 pm Enjoyed both games but can't believe they ran out of Pies!! A bag of beef crisps is simply not the same!!
2 hours drive to get there, enjoyed the fan zone, went into stadium an hour before kick off, 20 minute queue for no pie. Lukewarm hotdog instead. Beer queue not even worth bothering with. They had catered and staffed for a crowd of about 5K it seems. Didn't reflect well on the stadium at all.

Great first half performance from England, roll on next week!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:57 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:49 pm Let's not forget the organisers weird obsession with large grounds it was supposed to be Anfield this game was being played at but covid put paid to that idea(thankfully) time and again we have seen empty looking grounds in this world cup and 23 k in the DW looks a.damn sight better than the same.number in Liverpool,it would have looked empty,so more by luck than judgment wigan got the game.and put on a fine show.
No it wasn't because it was halfway down the steps and about halfway up,so feeling a little like the grand old Duke of York (but without the 10 thousand men of course)I was neither up nor down a d the rain made it Interesting shall we say.

Finally found the original order email and after contacting their customer service I was assured that'd I would be on row a or b at anfield,so something went wrong so I'll fire an email off just to get it off my chest but still I enjoyed the day,lovely speaking with yiu this morning 😀
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:37 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:57 pm
No it wasn't because it was halfway down the steps and about halfway up,so feeling a little like the grand old Duke of York (but without the 10 thousand men of course)I was neither up nor down a d the rain made it Interesting shall we say.

Finally found the original order email and after contacting their customer service I was assured that'd I would be on row a or b at anfield,so something went wrong so I'll fire an email off just to get it off my chest but still I enjoyed the day,lovely speaking with yiu this morning 😀
Well regarding the what endoman said, about the stadium catering etc is nothing to do with the Warriors, & if you like I can pass on your comments cos I will be passing on my complaints to the Warriors because the stadium is disgusting it’s dirty very dirty where I was sat! And the cleaners complained about me throwing confetti & I had to stop!!

Fozzie, yes, nice to get to see you & Gwen & have a little chat in the fanzone 😊 stayed until just after the start of the women’s game. Our seat was fine but the floor was filthy dirty. Enjoyed the win but thought we, England, were tested more! Every one who I spoke to all said the same thing, ‘it will be a hard game today" how wrong were we all. That first half England just blew PNG away & I think when the props swapped & the rain started as well we, England, let up a bit. But still an enjoyable day out.

The traffic though to get away was awful & we went in the shop again then into the fanzone. Ended when we did leave, I ended up bumping over the kerb near the south stand & went round the back of of the east stand cos I was taking Frank home to Shevington Moor. Got home just after 6!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:10 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:28 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:50 pm

Still a new record for a world cup game
England quarter final at the DW should have been fully sold out, there is enough fans with easy travel.
But everyone knew England would win - like we will win our next game we are in the final already really so most will just buy a ticket for that - there’s only 2 teams that can beat us and they are on the other side of the draw
England football would sell out any World Cup game in England irrelevant of the opposition.

Whilst we all agree that’s the reason, it shows where the sport is that it’s the excuse.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:23 pm PNG just awful it was game over after 10 mins to be honest.

Should have been standing room only really but those prices when will they Learn?

Getting away was a chuffing nightmare but home at last.

I'm no royalist but Kate is by far and away the best of them she added class to proceedings let's hope she's a regular sight at RL games in the future,the publicity she brings is welcome.

That shop wigan have is dangerous to my bank Balance as I have little self control :lol:

Good day overall but the DW should have had more than one game.

The tournament though is lacking any surprises at all the big 3 and tonga (more than likely) wiĺ be in the semi finals,shame really.
Did you expect surprises? Why? How was it going to be any different than it has been?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

outback wiganer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:48 pm At the present moment in time, people are struggling financially with the growing cost of living. So to spend £40 a ticket is a definite no, no, especially when it's live on tv for free. Anyway less than 2,000 short of a full house isn't that bad.
Yet premier league football continues to sell out week on week.

Whilst ticket prices may be the reason for an attendance I’d 6000 instead of 10,000, it isn’t the reason for every game not selling out.

The reason is it’s a minority sport, not many know about the World Cup and not many care.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:15 pm
outback wiganer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:48 pm At the present moment in time, people are struggling financially with the growing cost of living. So to spend £40 a ticket is a definite no, no, especially when it's live on tv for free. Anyway less than 2,000 short of a full house isn't that bad.
Yet premier league football continues to sell out week on week.

Whilst ticket prices may be the reason for an attendance I’d 6000 instead of 10,000, it isn’t the reason for every game not selling out.

The reason is it’s a minority sport, not many know about the World Cup and not many care.
There are by far enough people that know the WC is on to sell out the DW, so by that logic RL fans don't really care that much. The crowd seemed pretty into it for the first 7 or 8 minutes. Once they knew we'd win, it was pretty much silence. Not sure that would be the same at the football. Its just a different scenario in RL I suppose - we're looking for a competitive game perhaps? Slamming a weaker team is nothing to get excited about.

Good games require evenly matched opponents, and when we only have 2 professional leagues in the world (and TBH one of those much higher standard than the other even though I don't like to admit it) you can only have 2 competitive matches in a tournament. Anything else is a bonus.

Personally, I don't really care that much about internationally RL because I don't want to give in to hope. I've been bitten too many times. Also I'm not very into nationalism. But maybe this back line can really do something this time. Maybe ....
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐