Channel 4 to show World Club Challenge return as SL Champions St Helens take on Penrith

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Channel 4 to show World Club Challenge return as SL Champions St Helens take on Penrith

Post by josie andrews »

The reigning Betfred Super League champions, St Helens, will travel to Australia in February 2023 to face NRL champions, Penrith Panthers, for the World Club Challenge in what will be new head coach, Paul Wellens? first competitive fixture.

The match will take place at the home of the Panthers, the BlueBet Stadium on Saturday 18 February, 2023 (6pm KO local/ 7am UK).

In what will be a first for fans in the UK, the World Club Challenge will be broadcast free-to-air by Channel 4 and will be part of double showing for the broadcaster that day with the Betfred Super League clash between Hull KR and Wigan Warriors live at 1pm.

This will mark the 8th time St Helens have played in the World Club Challenge, with two victories to their name, coming in 2001 and 2007, both against Brisbane Broncos.

Penrith Panthers have previously appeared twice in the World Club Challenge, being beaten by Wigan Warriors (1991) and also being beaten by Bradford Bulls (2004).

Due to St Helens travelling to Australia in early February, their Betfred Super League Round 1 fixture, due to be against Huddersfield Giants, has been postponed until a date later in the season. Details of which will be confirmed in due course.

Rhodri Jones, Super League chief commercial officer, said: “Following a two-year hiatus it is fantastic to see the world Club Challenge back in the calendar.

“Both teams have had phenomenal success in recent seasons and it will be great to see the best from Betfred Super League taking on the best from the NRL in a winner takes all match up.”

St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus said: “The 2023 season is the 150th anniversary of our Club. The only attainable achievement which has eluded us during our history is to be crowned World Club Champions in Australia.

“Many consider this Penrith Panthers side to be one of, if not the, best side in the history of the NRL. Similarly, St Helens are experiencing an unparalleled period of success in Super League.

“The game in Sydney will represent one of the greatest challenges that St Helens has ever faced. We are really looking forward to meeting it head on.”

https://www.totalrl.com/channel-4-to-sh ... -panthers/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Channel 4 to show World Club Challenge return as SL Champions St Helens take on Penrith

Post by jobo »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:30 amGood news
Good news that the game is on free to air but bad news if the smellys win it.

Can you imagine the gloating 🤮
Caboosegg

Re: Channel 4 to show World Club Challenge return as SL Champions St Helens take on Penrith

Post by Caboosegg »

jobo wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:06 am

Wouldn't bother me, always good for a SL side to beat a NRL side. I'm "sure" the saints fans also supported us when we won ours.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:17 am

Wouldn't bother me, always good for a SL side to beat a NRL side. I'm "sure" the saints fans also supported us when we won ours.
I’m the same but fear saints will meet a sticky end down under
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:23 pm

I’m the same but fear saints will meet a sticky end down under
They will certainly face the ultimate test as will England when they meet the Australian’s. Both, I fear, will end in tears.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

[*]

Yes they did and this-latest one ie me will certainly be
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Great stuff!

We are all Panthers on the date in question though surely? If it was Wakefield/Salford/Catalans etc id happily back these SL teams to beat the Aussies in their own yard!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

What isn't great is Penrith already promising to play kids. :evil:

Shows the contempt they hold the WCC (and, by extension, SL) in. And, of course, by saying that, gives then somecover if they were to lose.

Win/win for the Panthers. :roll:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Saints will lose. RLWC has shown that Lees and Knowles are not as good as the best. Over-reliance on Roby, Walmesley, Lomax will show more as they age. Welsby not stood out so far either.

Wellens could be Cunningham 2.0.

Meanwhile, how many stars on their shirts?

By my reckoning, it's 2, with Leeds and Bradford at 3 apiece.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐