England Vs Samoa

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: England Vs Samoa

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:03 pm I've enjoyed watching the WC very much, but unfortunately England just didn't show the organisation they'd shown in previous matches, and you can't deny that Samoa were the better side on the day.

I am only saddened by the lack of interest, across social media and beyond. Six o'clock BBC News covered England Women losing at Union away in NZ (and why not, don't get me wrong), but never mentioned an England men's team playing in a World Cup semi-final.

I guess it comes down to the lack of international rugby in league. If England fall at the penultimate fence in the Six Nations, nobody gets too upset, cos they'll get another go next year. In league, England lose, and that's it for three years, and there's wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I’ve said this all along! The reporting by the BBC has been nothing short of a disgrace 🤬

They’ve covered, in all the news regarding World Cup sports these last few weeks, rugby Union, football womens Rugby Union every other sport but Rugby League!!

Apologies if any errors in my posts only got the use of my non dominant hand & I’m on morphine 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:32 pm
moto748 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:03 pm I've enjoyed watching the WC very much, but unfortunately England just didn't show the organisation they'd shown in previous matches, and you can't deny that Samoa were the better side on the day.

I am only saddened by the lack of interest, across social media and beyond. Six o'clock BBC News covered England Women losing at Union away in NZ (and why not, don't get me wrong), but never mentioned an England men's team playing in a World Cup semi-final.

I guess it comes down to the lack of international rugby in league. If England fall at the penultimate fence in the Six Nations, nobody gets too upset, cos they'll get another go next year. In league, England lose, and that's it for three years, and there's wailing and gnashing of teeth.
I’ve said this all along! The reporting by the BBC has been nothing short of a disgrace 🤬

They’ve covered, in all the news regarding World Cup sports these last few weeks, rugby Union, football womens Rugby Union every other sport but Rugby League!!

Apologies if any errors in my posts only got the use of my non dominant hand & I’m on morphine 😂😂
😔😔 get well soon Josie.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:13 pm 😔😔 get well soon Josie.
Thank you so much 🥰🥰
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:45 pm Just hope it improves actual attendances at games with new fans converted to our great game 😊
Let’s hope so Josie,we all know the game is fantastic but I think we are all fed up with it being our secret :D

And get well soon.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:44 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:45 pm Just hope it improves actual attendances at games with new fans converted to our great game 😊
Let’s hope so Josie,we all know the game is fantastic but I think we are all fed up with it being our secret :D

And get well soon.
Thank you both very much 🥰 x
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i was going to start a separate post about the WC generally,but most has been covered in this thread

Coverage has been brilliant generally - love some of the commentary teams they have used (some not so) but advertising has been lacking outside of fans knowing when games are on

i know 2 neutrals who have watched their 1st ever games of RL, both work in my team as we are spread across the country. Both absolutely loved it as a game / attraction and they are RU fans. Would they swap from RU to RL, not sure yet, but will keep mithering them :). However, they both commented about the speed, intensity, physical aspects of league over union and how they loved watching the games

So the RL challenge is how do we attract people like my work colleagues (non League fans) and more generally win back RL fans who have become disillusioned with the game

this weekend there have been 2 games fitting for semi-finals with 2 points between 4 sides (ignoring the golden point) after 80 mins. So the RL needs to use those games to sell it to a wider audience both nationally and internationally. I've posted previously, that we need a defined international calendar to build on the playing successes of the tournament, not just play the next WC in France in 3 years time.

and then the bigger challenge, how to we match the intensity in Super League week in / week out, and ensure that the players are playing at a level that can be transferred into international standards
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

just watched the game and the post match forum

some fantastic interviews highlighting the highs and lows of sport at any level.

seeing a 6ft+ 120kg man in tears as he speaks just shows how much it means to the Samoan team / country, and even Willie Poaching in summary, you could see exactly what it meant to him too
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Agree with your opening para as to your other para the bias toward RU has been their from RL forming and will be so for distant future