England Vs Samoa

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Barney841

Re: England Vs Samoa

Post by Barney841 »

Didn’t help with Williams doing his change the direction of play, his running round the back of our line. It seem to catch everyone out.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:11 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:17 pm
moto748 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:09 pm I don't bag Welsby cos he's a Saints player, but where was he today? Not too many shone. The props were all pretty good, Whitehead and Herbie too. Makinson didn't do much wrong that I recall, and he kicked the goals.
Well let’s just say he filled a shirt nothing more,this is what irritates me with RL coverage they anoint a player as the best thing since the last big thing but refuse to lay any criticism of said player there’s no balance at all,and that’s not just aimed at Welsby today it’s all “golden child”of the moment.
To be fair the lad is not and never will be a halfback. We needed a Lomax tonight.
Well England needed sneyd or even dare I be bold and dare I say Harry smith but yes Lomax and even Widdop but sadly both out injured..Welsby should have been at fullback and if he didn’t want to play Sneyd push Tomkins into the halves for this game..but even if they’d shaved it and made the final it would have made grim watching as I’m sure Australia would maul them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:45 pm We saw today problems which have haunted wigan push into the national team

Most notably overlooking 9 - Micky Mac might be good defensive and he’s is decent going forward but Andy ackers has had a way better season and should of been number 1 but again not having a running zip threat from 9 made us suffer. Radley offered more and isn’t a hooker and that’s the problem at Wigan playing a loose at 9 and it being comparable shows you have the wrong 9!

Welsby was poor as was Watkins and a host of other players including young Williams was as poor as he was good

We lacked a game manager out there like a long/lockers/sinfield - I actually think we would of been better with syned with Williams as it was a better complement

the only saving grace is that we would of had 80 put up us against oz if we played like that we lack a smart 9 and a dominant half to be at the sharp end
Good points all I still can’t get my head round why Macilorum was selected at all for the squad,can’t abide this to-ing and fro-ing between countries,but yes Ackers should have played but I’ll say it again though,England simply didn’t have any sort of test this World Cup,and when one was needed against PNG they simply didn’t turn up and made England look like world beaters..I said last week it would be very different Samoa and sadly it came to pass.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

In future then we should just pick all saints players for international duty instead according to most on here cos that team was crap!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Not sure how you stop it, but in the build up to a World Cup semi final, we have had reports all week about Bateman, Dom Youngs contract, the announcement and comments on a World Club challenge, not staying it does, but the players must get distracted by it all when being interviewed.
As a sport we are about to approach the off season where there is very little news, why are these announcements not held back to then.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Big Steve wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:10 am It was a really frustrating game.

Our attack seemed really disorganised most of the game, when we did get Field position we panicked a little and just pushed it too far, execution was just off.

I think it was telling that in a tough game we didn't have a experienced controlling half. Lomax would have made a huge difference.

Our forwards have been great all tournament but they struggled with go forward today. Possibly Samoa slowing down play but also speed and accuracy of pass from the hooker. Compare with Roby's passing off the floor and we were miles off.

Our line speed in defence was down from the PNG game and we let Samoa make too much easy progress out wide from their own 30.

Even with some really soft defence out wide we had enough points in us to win with just a little more composure.

With Lomax at 6 and Roby at 9 I think we pretty easily beat Samoa. Such a shame they both pulled out.
I pretty much said the same during the game. Williams is at his best when someone else does the organising and he can just look for the gap.

McIllorum is nowhere near international standard. Not even in the same town as Roby, let alone the same street.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think Wane made the mistake of playing Hill ahead of Lees.
Hills been a good prop but he’s well past hos best now
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

England’s heart breaking defeat to Samoa attracts fantastic TV audience

Yesterday, 40,489 fans were at the Emirates Stadium as England suffered Rugby League World Cup heart ache.

As in the 2013 World Cup, England were dumped out of the tournament at the semi-final stage of the tournament in London due to a late score.

This time the score came in the last play of the game as the game entered Golden Point extra time after a Herbie Farnworth try for England levelled matters at 26-all in the 79th minute.

But a forward pass in Golden Point gave Samoa the possession to kick the winning drop goal with Stephen Crichton proving the hero for his country.

A terrific game, a classic like Australia vs New Zealand, how many fans watched the game on TV?

Reportedly, the TV audience peaked at 2.4 million viewers with an average of 1.4 million.

This is tops the 0.9 million peak for Australia vs New Zealand and contributes further to the World Cup which with nearly 20 million accumulative viewers is the most watched Rugby League World Cup in history.

On this World Cup Chief Executive Jon Dutton said: “As the tournament builds towards the latter stages, we can really see how the momentum is building with increasing audiences reflected in the latest update on broadcast figures.

“The coverage so far across the BBC and wider broadcast partners has been fantastic, and I’m really pleased with how we’ve been able to showcase the sport to dedicated rugby league fans as well as new audiences around the globe.

My hope is that it brings new fans to sport rugby league across all three formats, and a personal highlight for me has been the popularity of the wheelchair tournament. Those close to the sport already knew how gripping it can be, but having seen the reaction and the audience figures as the group games have progressed has been incredible, with yet more to come.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/englands ... nce-62248/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Just hope it improves actual attendances at games with new fans converted to our great game 😊
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've enjoyed watching the WC very much, but unfortunately England just didn't show the organisation they'd shown in previous matches, and you can't deny that Samoa were the better side on the day.

I am only saddened by the lack of interest, across social media and beyond. Six o'clock BBC News covered England Women losing at Union away in NZ (and why not, don't get me wrong), but never mentioned an England men's team playing in a World Cup semi-final.

I guess it comes down to the lack of international rugby in league. If England fall at the penultimate fence in the Six Nations, nobody gets too upset, cos they'll get another go next year. In league, England lose, and that's it for three years, and there's wailing and gnashing of teeth.