Samoa skipper Paulo cleared for World Cup Final

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Samoa skipper Paulo cleared for World Cup Final

Post by josie andrews »

Samoa captain Junior Paulo will be free to play in his country's first ever World Cup final after escaping with a caution for a dangerous tackle.

Paulo was sweating on the outcome of the competition's match review committee after a tip tackle on England's Tom Burgess in Samoa's 27-26 semi-final win.

Burgess landed head first into the turf at London's Emirates Stadium and resulted in Paulo spending 10 minutes in the sin bin.

England coach Shaun Wane played down the severity of the incident and said Paulo shouldn't serve suspension after his side's historic win.

The Parramatta prop received some welcome news from World Cup officials on Sunday when they only issued him with a caution, freeing him to play against Australia at Old Trafford next Saturday (Sunday AEDT).

Paulo was only able to play in the semi-final after fighting a striking charge stemming from Samoa's quarter-final win over Tonga.

The Samoa captain described facing Australia in the final as "probably the biggest game in Samoa's history".

"To do what we've done is overwhelming but the journey continues," he said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-leag ... -c-8845783
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: Samoa skipper Paula cleared for World Cup Final

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I'm glad he is playing but in no other competition, would he have got away with a ban.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:08 pm I'm glad he is playing but in no other competition, would he have got away with a ban.
True & the other player who was also involved in the banned lift
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m glad he’s clear too it was an odd one they certainly slowed down as he headed fully upside down,it reminded me of a school bully looking for dinner money :lol:
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I'm glad they let him get away with it, so that's a ban, a caution and another caution from 2 games.

I'm also glad the ref let Samoa get away with constant lying on at the play the ball, I'm also glad he didn't bother that they lied in the way of the dummy half after each tackle and that they got away with a few marginal forward passes.

I'm just glad he didn't miss the forward from Sam to decide the game, it was funny to see him run for the tunnel as soon as the hooter went.

Then again I hope they don't have Hicks as the ref on Sunday.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:12 pm I'm glad they let him get away with it, so that's a ban, a caution and another caution from 2 games.

I'm also glad the ref let Samoa get away with constant lying on at the play the ball, I'm also glad he didn't bother that they lied in the way of the dummy half after each tackle and that they got away with a few marginal forward passes.

I'm just glad he didn't miss the forward from Sam to decide the game, it was funny to see him run for the tunnel as soon as the hooter went.

Then again I hope they don't have Hicks as the ref on Sunday.
😂😂 exactly I kept shouting about the lying on in & around the ruck 😂
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Hope she doesn't get into trouble during the final, naughty girl
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:44 pm Hope she doesn't get into trouble during the final, naughty girl
🤔🤔🤔🤔
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:55 pm
medlocke wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:44 pm Hope she doesn't get into trouble during the final, naughty girl
🤔🤔🤔🤔
Title :lol:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Each time there's an RL International Tournament the officials give the refs dept a free hand to chose who refs each game.
This is why we end up in a mess with a standard of refereeing that would never be allowed in SL or NRL.
Sutton would have been pilloried if he ref'd an NRL like that.
It's ok allowing the "game to flow" if that's how both teams are playing. However that theory collapses if one team is repeatedly infringing either at the ptb, 10 mtrs or their line speed is down to not going back the 10. Then allowing the "game to flow" means that those who cheat the most win the most.
Trouble is the refs in SL seem to be detached from reality. For most employed people their work is scrutinised and they are accountable. The referees are neither scrutinised nor held accountable.
This is exacerbated by broadcast summerisers.
On Saturday Sutton was hardly mentioned yet had a massive influence on the outcome of the game.
Had he refereed as he does in the NRL England would would have won by 20 due to repeat sets again due to continues infringements by Samoa. Problems at the ptb. never got a mention.

Trouble now is the referee for the Final will go back to their weekly standard. If Samoa try to interfere as they did last Saturday they'll get hammered and could lose a player to the bin. If they are forced to allow Australia clean ptb then they'll have 50 put past them.

International Rugby League has come up with two tight games last weekend after a series of blow outs. The National bodies have to get their acts together to provide a regular International calendar and fixture format.