Pundit who said “England can’t beat Samoa” has say on whether Golden Point is a good system in big games Cam Pattison No

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Pundit who said “England can’t beat Samoa” has say on whether Golden Point is a good system in big games Cam Pattison No

Post by josie andrews »

Yesterday, England saw just how easy it is to lose in Golden Point extra time.

After doing the hard stuff to come back from behind against Samoa at the Emirates Stadium in the Rugby League World Cup semi-finals, they were their own worst enemy as the match entered sudden death territory.

They knocked on in their first set of Golden Point and got away with it when Elliot Whitehead blocked the first drop goal attempt but from the ensuing set England gave away possession through a forward pass.

This time there would be no mistake from Samoa with Stephen Crichton notching the winning drop goal to ensure they will meet Australia in the final next week at Old Trafford.

Nonetheless, it raises the age old debate about the merits of Golden Point and whether it’s a good way to decide a game.

In the eyes of Phil Gould, it is not the way to decide a big match.

Despite the fact the NRL very rarely sees draws due to the introduction of Golden Point after games, he believes some games deserve to be a draw.

He famously said prior to the opening game between England and Samoa that England “can’t beat” Matt Parish’s side. Though wrong about the opener, his views were vindicated yesterday and he, as ever, was willing to speak about the game including saying that Golden Point shouldn’t decide big games.

He said on Twitter: “10 minutes each way was more appropriate. I now think that’s how all games should be decided. 5 mins each way. If it’s still a draw, then it’s a draw. Some games deserve a draw. Finals should not be decided with golden point.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/pundit-w ... mes-62234/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Pundit who said “England can’t beat Samoa” has say on whether Golden Point is a good system in big games Cam Pattiso

Post by josie andrews »

I hate it & it should be removed from the rules!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
moto748

Re: Pundit who said “England can’t beat Samoa” has say on whether Golden Point is a good system in big games Cam Pattiso

Post by moto748 »

In a league comp like the NRL and SL, I agree. A draw should be a draw. Many Aussie (and English) fans agree.

But in a knock-out comp, you can't have a draw. Logistics mean a replay isn't feasible. So it's GP, or extra time. I'd prefer extra time, 10 mins each way, if no score after the 20 mins, continue until the next score.

But bleating about GP seems a bit off now that England lost via it. Would we be saying that if England had won in GP?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:09 pm In a league comp like the NRL and SL, I agree. A draw should be a draw. Many Aussie (and English) fans agree.

But in a knock-out comp, you can't have a draw. Logistics mean a replay isn't feasible. So it's GP, or extra time. I'd prefer extra time, 10 mins each way, if no score after the 20 mins, continue until the next score.

But bleating about GP seems a bit off now that England lost via it. Would we be saying that if England had won in GP?
I have never liked it, when it was introduced in the NRL & of course we have to follow what they do, even before watching the very first one in SL which coincidentally was against us v Hull FC in the first game of the season. Ten minutes extra time & if no score then GP as you inferred 😊
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:39 pm I hate it & it should be removed from the rules!
Agreed.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Or keep on playing until some one scores a try no drop goals 😂😂
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I rather like the NFL system. Spit balling here

Tied game goes to over time. If the team recieving the ball scores a touchdown game over.

It they hit a 3 pointer the opposition have the chance to score a touchdown which wins the game or if they hit a 3 pointer then games goes next score wins.

Personally system is fairer than GP.

I rather its golden try only and non knockout games ends at 80. Draw games point each.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:21 pm Or keep on playing until some one scores a try no drop goals 😂😂
Should have just posted that.

Well said
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Get rid of it for League games but there's not much choice for C Cup or other knockout fixtures.

Couldn't have endless extra time until a try is scored, that could be 10-20 mins. If that's a Sunday C Cup game and one team has to play the following Thursday in SL then they've not a hope of winning that League fixture.
Golden Point is going to continue for the foreseeable.