Victor Radley and James Bentley investigated after alleged incident in Manchester

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
moto748

Re: Victor Radley and James Bentley investigated after alleged incident in Manchester

Post by moto748 »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:03 am No coverage of the Semi Final on the evening news ???

Maybe not but they did show the the whole game live and the whole tournament in some shape or form . We need to be pointing the finger at ourselves (Superleague. RFL . RLWC etc.) When it comes to lack of Rugby League promotion before we ever dare point the finger at anyone else IMO

EW
Well, not really, EW. I'm differentiating between the quality of BBC Sport's coverage of the comp (which I wasn't commenting on here) and BBC News' decision that England men playing in a World Cup semi-final, and on home soil to boot, was not worth a mention on the evening news.

There's no linkage between the fact that the BBC had the contract to cover the comp, and it being a sufficiently big news item to appear on the news. Or shouldn't be.
moto748

Re: Victor Radley and James Bentley investigated after alleged incident in Manchester

Post by moto748 »

That talk of banging on the doors of the Samoan players doesn't sound so good, though, if true.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:07 pm That talk of banging on the doors of the Samoan players doesn't sound so good, though, if true.
If it had been before the game I'd be in complete agreement with you. However, in the hours after a semi final when one of the teams had been knocked out of the comp and the other probably celebrating getting to the final, I'd just put it down to high jinx and maybe a couple too many shandies :D I doubt it'll affect the Samoan's prep for the final (for which I'll be cheering them on)

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:03 pm
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:03 am No coverage of the Semi Final on the evening news ???

Maybe not but they did show the the whole game live and the whole tournament in some shape or form . We need to be pointing the finger at ourselves (Superleague. RFL . RLWC etc.) When it comes to lack of Rugby League promotion before we ever dare point the finger at anyone else IMO

EW
Well, not really, EW. I'm differentiating between the quality of BBC Sport's coverage of the comp (which I wasn't commenting on here) and BBC News' decision that England men playing in a World Cup semi-final, and on home soil to boot, was not worth a mention on the evening news.

There's no linkage between the fact that the BBC had the contract to cover the comp, and it being a sufficiently big news item to appear on the news. Or shouldn't be.
Fair enough mate

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:03 pm

EW

Would the original poster be complaining that the BBC were "putting the boot in" if England's defeat *had* been the lead story on the BBC News that evening? Personally I'm sure they would have included it had we won. I'm not sure the BBC can win here with some - its easier to blame others than for us to improve our own operations.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:38 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:19 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:06 pm

Its always the messengers fault?
In this case, yes.

How about reporting the good things in RL, the Samoa v Tonga "haka off" would have been shown wall to wall if it was RU.
So because they only televised the whole Samoa v Tonga game nationally including the Haka's, and haven't made enough of the Haka's since the world cup has moved on to the next round - they should not report this breaking story, that has been broken by the Aussie press? I'm failing to see the reasoning here.

You are saying they shouldn't report on this? They should cover it up for us.
Fair point Mike, I reacted hastily to the stupidity of the whole situation, I guess I was "Bentleyed" as well :)
Apologies'

The reasoning is still valid though, I didn't say cover it up at all - what they do choose to cover up though speaks volumes in my view. Thats my point, for what its worth.

Forot to add = to be fair BBC Sports coverage has been pretty much first class, not so the News and general coverage, sometimes these "soft" news pieces can have a big effect. I'd say that Sinfield's efforts are a case in point (as an example).
doc

Post by doc »

Looks like Bentley has got what's been coming to him and simultaneously blown his chances of ever playing for England.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:42 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:38 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:19 pm

In this case, yes.

How about reporting the good things in RL, the Samoa v Tonga "haka off" would have been shown wall to wall if it was RU.
So because they only televised the whole Samoa v Tonga game nationally including the Haka's, and haven't made enough of the Haka's since the world cup has moved on to the next round - they should not report this breaking story, that has been broken by the Aussie press? I'm failing to see the reasoning here.

You are saying they shouldn't report on this? They should cover it up for us.
Fair point Mike, I reacted hastily to the stupidity of the whole situation, I guess I was "Bentleyed" as well :)
Apologies'

The reasoning is still valid though, I didn't say cover it up at all - what they do choose to cover up though speaks volumes in my view. Thats my point, for what its worth.

Forot to add = to be fair BBC Sports coverage has been pretty much first class, not so the News and general coverage, sometimes these "soft" news pieces can have a big effect. I'd say that Sinfield's efforts are a case in point (as an example).
Fair enough, all reasonable points.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos James Bentley Accused of Alleged Shaun Wane Confrontation before Victor Radley Incident

FRESH allegations have emerged from the alleged fracas between England World Cup star Victor Radley and Ireland international James Bentley.

The Sydney Morning Herald broke the news that the two had been involved in an alleged bust-up at the England team hotel with Bentley allegedly the instigator.

The Sydney Morning Herald has also reported that England Rugby League officials threatened to call the police on Bentley if he didn’t leave the premises at a hotel that Radley and a number of other England stars were at.

Now fresh details have emerged, alleging that Bentley attempted to attack England coach Shaun Wane before going after Radley, the Daily Telegraph has reported.

The publication also reported that Bentley was left worse for wear following an alleged head butt from Radley, with the Leeds man allegedly angry that he had not been chosen for the England side for the World Cup.

Both the World Cup organisers and the RFL are investigating the matter.

The Rugby League World Cup is aware of reported incidents and is in conversation with the respective parties to establish the circumstances,” a RLWC2021 spokesperson said. “There will be no further comment at this time

https://www.totalrl.com/leeds-rhinos-ja ... -incident/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:50 am Leeds Rhinos James Bentley Accused of Alleged Shaun Wane Confrontation before Victor Radley Incident

FRESH allegations have emerged from the alleged fracas between England World Cup star Victor Radley and Ireland international James Bentley.

The Sydney Morning Herald broke the news that the two had been involved in an alleged bust-up at the England team hotel with Bentley allegedly the instigator.

The Sydney Morning Herald has also reported that England Rugby League officials threatened to call the police on Bentley if he didn’t leave the premises at a hotel that Radley and a number of other England stars were at.

Now fresh details have emerged, alleging that Bentley attempted to attack England coach Shaun Wane before going after Radley, the Daily Telegraph has reported.

The publication also reported that Bentley was left worse for wear following an alleged head butt from Radley, with the Leeds man allegedly angry that he had not been chosen for the England side for the World Cup.

Both the World Cup organisers and the RFL are investigating the matter.

The Rugby League World Cup is aware of reported incidents and is in conversation with the respective parties to establish the circumstances,” a RLWC2021 spokesperson said. “There will be no further comment at this time

https://www.totalrl.com/leeds-rhinos-ja ... -incident/
Had to have a little chuckle when I read he was worse for wear, sounds like he got his just deserves.
And complaining about not making the squad, he’s made sure he will never get picked especially if Wane stays in charge.
Bentley doesn’t sound the very bright