Wigan legend Andy Gregory gives his verdict on England's Rugby League World Cup campaign

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wigan legend Andy Gregory gives his verdict on England's Rugby League World Cup campaign

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan legend Andy Gregory believes England had the squad to win the Rugby League World Cup.

Shaun Wane’s side were knocked out by Samoa in the semi-finals, with Australia eventually going on to lift the trophy.

Gregory states the England squad can’t dwell on the tournament for too long, but can learn from it.

He said: “I went to watch Australia against New Zealand at Elland Road. It’s always a tough challenge playing those teams in test matches, but I thought this England team was good enough to beat them.

“I wasn't impressed with either of them.“For England against Samoa, players who should have stuck out didn’t do their job.

“I know we’ve played in big stadiums like Newcastle with brilliant atmospheres, but it was a massive let down not to see them walking out at a World Cup final.

My advice to them would be, the tournament is over, you’ve not won, you could’ve, but don’t look back in life.

“I never won the Ashes. I played in six series and lost all six.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... gn-3924861
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan