Catalans Dragons Sam Tomkins reveals regret at rejoining Wigan Warriors upon NRL exit

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Catalans Dragons Sam Tomkins reveals regret at rejoining Wigan Warriors upon NRL exit

Post by josie andrews »

CATALANS Dragons star Sam Tomkins has revealed a slight regret at re-signing with the Wigan Warriors upon his return to Super League.

Tomkins won it all with his native Wigan before making the move to NRL side New Zealand Warriors ahead of the 2014 season.

The fullback spent just two seasons with the Warriors, signing for the Wigan Warriors in 2016 as he planned a return to the UK and Super League.

However, Tomkins, who has been with the Dragons since 2019, has revealed that it ‘probably wasn’t the best thing to do’.

“I decided to sign back at Wigan which in hindsight probably wasn’t the best thing to do because it wasn’t long after coming back to Wigan that it felt like I was stuck back in the same position,” Tomkins said on The Big Jim podcast with rugby union legend Jim Hamilton.

“It wasn’t in terms of rugby, the rugby was good we went on and won another competition. We won the title but in terms of everything away from rugby we didn’t really enjoy living back in the area, we wanted that feeling again of doing something different.”

In terms of being in a different environment, Tomkins has certainly thrived in the south of France, helping Catalans to their maiden Grand Final appearance and League Leaders’ Shield in 2021.

https://www.totalrl.com/catalans-dragon ... -nrl-exit/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Catalans Dragons Sam Tomkins reveals regret at rejoining Wigan Warriors upon NRL exit

Post by josie andrews »

Feel so bloody sorry for him! Not!

Paid a ridiculous amount of money for being already bloody injured when coming back to Wigan & then injured again in a self inflicted drunken night out!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Re: Catalans Dragons Sam Tomkins reveals regret at rejoining Wigan Warriors upon NRL exit

Post by morley pie eater »

He had an opportunuty here to regain some respect by saying "i came back to Wigan and i fouled up. I regret it now."

Instead we see that he's still the self-absorbed Sam we've come to know. It happens to a lot of talented sports players. Surrounded by folk telling them how good they are, and only too ready to believe their own publicity.

Sad.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I listened to him on that podcast and the quote isn't very fair. He wasn't being ungrateful at all he was just saying that he had already lived that sort of life in Wigan, then moved to Oz, then felt like he had moved back in time again going back to the same place he had been before. I think the replies in this thread are a little unfair to say the least.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:02 pm He had an opportunuty here to regain some respect by saying "i came back to Wigan and i fouled up. I regret it now."

Instead we see that he's still the self-absorbed Sam we've come to know. It happens to a lot of talented sports players. Surrounded by folk telling them how good they are, and only too ready to believe their own publicity.

Sad.
The happy Sam we've seen in France would walk into our side every season bar since French and Field showed up. Nothing to do with his talent or attitude.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:09 pm I listened to him on that podcast and the quote isn't very fair. He wasn't being ungrateful at all he was just saying that he had already lived that sort of life in Wigan, then moved to Oz, then felt like he had moved back in time again going back to the same place he had been before. I think the replies in this thread are a little unfair to say the least.
Exactly.

Too many people just jump on the band wagon and take quotes exactly how they’re written without context.

Same people who are slating him are probably the same ones who say he was the closest thing to a superstar in rugby league and could have become a real poster boy and helped take the sport to the next level.

He had ambition, he wanted to win things and try different things. Get over it and be happy for the incredible games he had for us.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

If he was injured when he came back why did we sign him in the first place . The same goes for Burgess . If Wigan are willing to sign them on big money when injured the player isn't going to say no are they . The question should be why did we sign them .
Once again on here as soon as you don't play for Wigan your a nobody.

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:12 am If he was injured when he came back why did we sign him in the first place . The same goes for Burgess . If Wigan are willing to sign them on big money when injured the player isn't going to say no are they . The question should be why did we sign them .
Once again on here as soon as you don't play for Wigan your a nobody.

EW
i'm guessing it was a calculated gamble with Sam that he would recover. Unfortunately for Wigan, he then got injured off the pitch, and was only playing something like in the final year of his contract

i was told by someone connected to Salford (i think Logan was still there at the time) that Sam was knackered and unlikely to return to anything like the form that he showed prior to leaving for Oz, so they were quite surprised we had resigned him

in terms of what else Sam has said, re coming back to Wigan, i think most can appreciate what he is saying, but probably dont like it. With respect to Wigan as a town (putting our love for Wigan RL to one side), the place is generally a dump. Wigan town centre, and the surrounding towns are all so run down that you would question why someone would come back to live here when they've had a couple of years in Oz and the sun. Whilst there are some nice places to go and have a relaxing walk etc, i'm pretty sure he can now manage that in the South of France, whilst getting a nice bit of sun too :)
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:02 pm He had an opportunity here to regain some respect by saying "i came back to Wigan and i fouled up. I regret it now."

Sad.
Talking of bandwagons and misreading posts, i invite some folk to re-read what i said above.

> No reference to Sam's skill or contribution as a player whatsoever.
> Nothing to say his comments are lies

I merely point out that he "fouled up" - a reference to a self-inflicted injury. I also referred to the way he, like many talented sports players, see the world as revolving round themselves.

I've always rated him as a player. My comments were about what we've seen over the years of Sam as a person. On another thread i mentioned Kevin Sinfield, also for personal qualities rather than playing ability. "Compare and contrast."
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I never wanted Sam to come back.
I agree with Sam, his Wigan chapter had been and also believe we shouldn’t resign players