George Burgess retires from NRL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

George Burgess retires from NRL

Post by josie andrews »

George Burgess' NRL career is over after the English prop announced his retirement from rugby league.

Released by St George Illawarra last month after a drama-filled first year back in the NRL, Burgess confirmed on Sunday he would not return to the game.

A premiership-winner at South Sydney, the 30-year-old prop's career will end with 153 NRL games to his name as well as 15 Tests for England.

"It is with a heavy heart that I officially announce my retirement from rugby league," Burgess posted on Instagram.

"It has been a dream come true to live out my boyhood dream and represent my family and country through my time especially at South Sydney and England.

Unfortunately injuries ended my career before I would've liked but I am a happy man walking away from this beautiful game with my achievements."

A star forward at South Sydney, Burgess was unlucky not to be named Clive Churchill Medallist in the club's drought-breaking grand-final win over Canterbury in 2014.

The middle forward ran 200 metres in the Rabbitohs' 30-6 grand-final win over Canterbury, while also scoring the go-ahead try in the second half.

He has since developed into one of the game's best front-rowers at the Rabbitohs, before exiting the club for Wigan in 2020.

He suffered a career-threatening hip injury that restricted him to just eight games with the Wigan Warriors.

However, earlier this year he became the first professional rugby league player to return from hip resurfacing surgery when he signed a two-year deal with the Dragons.

But it was to be short-lived, however: the prop was charged with sexual touching without consent before later checking into a rehabilitation facility.

Burgess is set to fight the charge, and ended the year by playing 11 games in reserve grade.

But his hope of a first-grade return is now likely extinguished, with his run of injuries potentially proving too much.

Burgess' retirement leaves brother Tom as the last remaining playing member of the Burgess clan, with one year still to run on the 30-year-old's contract.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan