Trinity secure Atoni for 2023

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Trinity secure Atoni for 2023

Post by josie andrews »

Wakefield Trinity have announced the signing of prop forward Renouf Atoni from Sydney Roosters for the 2023 Betfred Super League season, with an option for a further year.

The 27-year old started out in the NRL with Canterbury Bulldogs. Whilst at the Bulldogs, Atoni made his debut in 2018 and then went on to feature 43 times over the coming seasons, before moving to Sydney ahead of 2022.

Atoni, who weighs in at 110kg and is 6 feet 3 inches, will add size and strength to Trinity's pack in 2023.

Speaking on his move to Trinity, Atoni said: "I'm really excited to be joining Wakefield Trinity in the Super League.

"The chance to come over and prove myself in the English game is one I?m really looking forward to and I couldn't let it pass by.

"My first goal and focus right now is to rip into training straight away with the boys. I've obviously missed the first few weeks of pre-season, so when I come over that's the first thing I'm wanting to do.

"I know Kelepi [Tanginoa] and Jorge [Taufua] from their time in the NRL. They are both great players and it will be unbelievable to be able to take to the pitch with both of them. On top of that, I can't wait to meet the rest of the players and form a bond with them that we can take onto the pitch in 2023.

"I really can't wait to get started and to get to know the people of Wakefield."

Trinity Head Coach, Mark Applegarth, is delighted to secure Atoni's services ahead of the new season.

"We are absolutely delighted to secure the services of Renouf," said Applegarth.

"He will add some real size and punch to our pack and we feel he will complement our squad really well. Renouf is a player we were keen to get signed so to have it over the line is great news for the club moving into the new season.

"We can't wait to get him here and start to work with him in training."

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3 ... i-for-2023
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Trinity secure Atoni for 2023

Post by Barney841 »

Could be a real good signing, he’s still only 27 and he’s a massive lad. Surprised other teams weren’t in for him
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:34 pm Could be a real good signing, he’s still only 27 and he’s a massive lad. Surprised other teams weren’t in for him
Thought we may have gone for him with all the rumours about Paddy Mago
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:09 pm
Barney841 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:34 pm Could be a real good signing, he’s still only 27 and he’s a massive lad. Surprised other teams weren’t in for him
Thought we may have gone for him with all the rumours about Paddy Mago
My thoughts as well Josie.
Think I said that on another thread that we should of let Mago go to wakey and then we could sign Atoni
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Is Atoni any good? He's 27 with only around 40 odd nrl appearances.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I cant see Mago leaving now personally - Wigan like to have their ducks in a row when it comes to transfers and the fact hes back in preseason to me suggest if they were looking at him going whoever they had lined up has fallen through

Atoni could be a good signing

Although i do find, backs coming from the NRL tend to be safe bet but forwards very hit and miss, conversely backs going to the NRL are hit and miss and forwards going there all seem to do pretty well - not sure why that is
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure