We shouldn’t be losing our top young talent - RL agent ‘disappointed’ in Will Pryce & Kai Pearce Paul’s NRL moves

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

We shouldn’t be losing our top young talent - RL agent ‘disappointed’ in Will Pryce & Kai Pearce Paul’s NRL moves

Post by josie andrews »

LEADING rugby league agent, Craig Harrison of Show Me The Money UK, has revealed his disappointment at the loss of Huddersfield Giants star Will Pryce and Wigan Warriors man Kai Pearce-Paul to the NRL.

It was announced yesterday by NRL side Newcastle Knights that both men would be linking up with the Hunter club for the 2024 season and beyond.

But, for Harrison, the deals are a marker of where Super League currently lies in relation to the Australian competition and the struggle that IMG faces in lifting up UK rugby league.

“As a lover of Super League I am disappointed, but it is inevitable and I will be involved in deals like that myself,” Harrison admitted on the Show Me The Money UK TV podcast.

“If these young stars have got dreams to play in the biggest competition in the world, they will do so. It is up to our game and IMG to get them to stay.

“We shouldn’t be losing our top young talent because the game doesn’t allow clubs, with the salary cap, to keep them.”

That being said, Harrison revealed that he would also have liked both Pryce and Pearce-Paul to stay for a few more years rather than leaving so early on in their careers.

“I would have liked both players to get more on their journey. It says to a lot to our players, but I hope all those who are under 23 years of age don’t think ‘right we are off’ after one good year.

“I think you have got to earn that right, the Australian market is coming for the top young players in England – they are actively seeking them.

“The Australia agents are saying ‘come with us and we can take you to the promised land’ and clubs are finding it hard to keep them.

“IMG and the clubs need to address it, I think it will always happen whilst we’ve got the salary cap.

“If we had people who could afford to keep them then I think they would stay.”

https://www.totalrl.com/we-shouldnt-be- ... nrl-moves/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: We shouldn’t be losing our top young talent - RL agent ‘disappointed’ in Will Pryce & Kai Pearce Paul’s NRL moves

Post by Caboosegg »

Doesn't mention how Agents are a massive part of the issue.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Re: We shouldn’t be losing our top young talent - RL agent ‘disappointed’ in Will Pryce & Kai Pearce Paul’s NRL moves

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:45 pm Doesn't mention how Agents are a massive part of the issue.
I will be involved in deals like that myself,” Harrison admitted on the Show Me The Money UK TV podcast.
He does mention he is involved in deals.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:45 pm Doesn't mention how Agents are a massive part of the issue.
How are they part of the problem.

Our problem is the lack of progress made the RFL and Super League over the last 20 years compared to the NRL. Agents shop their players to the highest bidders and SL can not compete and that is the people running the games problem not agents.

Agents are only interested in the money they can get for their players. They are not ruining the game.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

What do you propose then in this regard?

The main issue isn’t agents. It’s the fact that the players going to Australia get:
- more money
- better competition
- better quality of life

It’s within our gift to address the first two but the RFL clearly aren’t capable.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:33 am

The main issue isn’t agents. It’s the fact that the players going to Australia get:
- more money
- better competition
- better quality of life

It’s within our gift to address the first two but the RFL clearly aren’t capable.
i agree its for more money and s better competition but isnt quality of life what you make it? How many players go over there then miss there friends and family?its only a better quality of life if you have them all with you…… by the way ive been all over aud and it is a beautiful country
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:49 pm
I will be involved in deals like that myself,” Harrison admitted on the Show Me The Money UK TV podcast.
Mentioning he would be involved in the deals doesn't highlight how Agents shop up and coming players to the NRL to get higher deals and a better deal for themselves as a priority.

The NRL can pick our best talent as Agents make it easy for them.

The fact Agent's fees are counted on the cap is also obscene. Was it Frank paul who took us over the cap due to Agent fee a couple of years ago?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

- more money
- better competition
- better quality of life

I agree.

SL had the power over NRL 1990's in 20 years we have become for all intense and purpose a semi professional game. Not the players but the people running the game they get paid a wage but run it as if its an old fashioned commitee.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

- more money
- better competition
- better quality of life

Have to agree with you on most of it but Don't think money is greatest motivation for the younger players going from our game. As you say better competition to play and learn from the best. Also chance of a better quality of life.
As a game in this country we're not progressing and quite stagnant in our methods of taking game forward to encourage and bring and keep best talent in this country. At moment we have very little to offer as motivation to keep them. And under present regime that's not going to change. I don't blame the young lads good luck to them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:45 am
josie andrews wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:49 pm
Mentioning he would be involved in the deals doesn't highlight how Agents shop up and coming players to the NRL to get higher deals and a better deal for themselves as a priority.

The NRL can pick our best talent as Agents make it easy for them.

The fact Agent's fees are counted on the cap is also obscene. Was it Frank paul who took us over the cap due to Agent fee a couple of years ago?
That bit is ridiculous but what do you propose changes with agents?

They’re doing their jobs. It’s the same in every sport.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."