Brian Carney doesn’t think Shaun Wane should be England boss for next World Cup as he suggests unique solution

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Brian Carney doesn’t think Shaun Wane should be England boss for next World Cup as he suggests unique solution

Post by josie andrews »

Now much of the focus is on the Super League season which is fast approaching and just two months away.

However, it should not be forgotten that the Rugby League World Cup ended just weeks ago and England’s tournament ended prematurely when they were stunned by Samoa who nailed a Golden Point drop goal to end England’s hopes of winning the World Cup at the semi-final stage of the competition which had many questioning what went wrong.

There have been demands from the likes of Leeds Rhinos legend Jamie Peacock for a review into what went wrong for England.

As for England boss Shaun Wane, formerly of the Wigan Warriors, he has one more year on his deal but some have questioned whether he should remain in the position.

Former Wigan man and Warrington Wolves winger Brian Carney has suggested he shouldn’t be.

Talking on Sky Sports, Carney claimed it was not a full time role and wanted to see it awarded to however is the best coach by the time the Rugby League World Cup in France in 2025 comes around.

He said:

“I’d be happy to wait until the 2025 World Cup in France and give it to the best coach. Kristian Woolf coached St Helens to a Grand Final win and then took charge of Tonga without having his hands on those players for a year, so it’s not a full time job lets not pretend.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/brian-ca ... ion-63922/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: Brian Carney doesn’t think Shaun Wane should be England boss for next World Cup as he suggests unique solution

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It doesn’t matter who coaches England they will not win the WC, we haven’t the players to do it.
the pieman

Re: Brian Carney doesn’t think Shaun Wane should be England boss for next World Cup as he suggests unique solution

Post by the pieman »

and Woolf did a fantastic job of under performing with Tonga, given they never made the semi finals, so yes Brian lets give it to someone who performed worse than the current coach

is the head coach a FT job at the minute - probably not, until the countries all agree that International RL needs to be developed and have windows for internationals. If we then had a mid season break (just a suggestion) where there are internationals played and then a regular tour / tri-nations / world cup at the end of the season, then it would become a FT role, but until we take the game seriously it wont be and thats why we wont grow the sport
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Personally think its harsh on Wane, im not sure its that we dont have the players either - i think its the lack of proper tests

The Aus and Nz contingent along with the Aus/Nz b teams like Samoa/Tonga etc all play in the hardest competition many of them playing in THE hardest test being state of origin. The English players while some have played in finals etc and some play in the NRL they just arent playing at a hard enough level week in week out. Superleague is not a strong competition and when we do play international friendlies we play france who are probably wakefield standard at best.

Same in the world cup we breezed through poor opposition and while samoa were caught on the hop by us in the first round as soon as they got their act together we couldnt handle it being tight

in NRL they live in that zone of tight games, not all but a lot of them will be close for really large periods of time - superleague tends to be one team getting smashed. Even if the scores end close its normally the dominant team turning off toward the end over the scores remaining close throughout the game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I dont care in the slightest what brian has to say…… like its stated above( it wont matter whos in charge)….. why do certain commentators think they no best? Come on brian get a SL coaching role and lets see what you can do
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Is it a full time job? No I don’t think so,where I feel wane went wrong,just a few thoughts at least on the subject was he went for the players he knew well,no harm in that but mickey Mac? Not for me Ackers as the form hooker in the comp should have played every game,Welsby isn’t a halfback,good player just not there though he could fill in at a push not as a duo with Williams .

I think they believed their own hype too,I said on here even after the png game trouble would find England when a team came to play and it sure did the following Saturday,probably the worst thing to happen was England to beat Samoa the first day,they needed a stiff test that no one gave them until it was too late,I know it went into extra time but in that semi final I always felt Samoa would win the game even as they drew level,add that to perhaps the most inept performance in golden point you could ever wish to see and it jig was up,oh well onto next time.

Should Wane stay in the job?for me yes because all the warhorses will have gone onto other things and he will have to pick a younger side,have they the players in super league to win World Cup no Australia are eons ahead frankly but they may just catch them on an off day.

A proper international Callander is desperatly needed an annual thrash a thon against France isn’t the way to go,we need the big guns over every other year and I include Samoa and Tonga one that so it’s not a case of flooding the market with games for games sake but proper stiff competition.

As for Carney and Wilkin they’re entitled to their opinions I suppose.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:33 am I dont care in the slightest what brian has to say…… like its stated above( it wont matter whos in charge)….. why do certain commentators think they no best? Come on brian get a SL coaching role and lets see what you can do
Its probably their job to write regular articles about RL things. I imagine he's contracted to say what he thinks. I don't preceive this type of thing as "knowing best", more like contributing to a conversation on how we can do better at the next world cup.

It seems to me that BC has got a bad rep amongst some fans after he left. He attracts a lot of negative attention on here. I'm not sure why that is TBH. Did he leave as an unpopular figure, or was there some incidcent when he left? Can someone enlighten me.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:45 pm
Firestarter wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:33 am I dont care in the slightest what brian has to say…… like its stated above( it wont matter whos in charge)….. why do certain commentators think they no best? Come on brian get a SL coaching role and lets see what you can do
Its probably their job to write regular articles about RL things. I imagine he's contracted to say what he thinks. I don't preceive this type of thing as "knowing best", more like contributing to a conversation on how we can do better at the next world cup.

It seems to me that BC has got a bad rep amongst some fans after he left. He attracts a lot of negative attention on here. I'm not sure why that is TBH. Did he leave as an unpopular figure, or was there some incidcent when he left? Can someone enlighten me.
I would argue its the other way around with BC he seems to not like Wigan - out of all the pundits hes the one i pick up the most hate toward wigan on not sure what its all about but whenever he can dig into Wigan he does
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:24 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:45 pm

I would argue its the other way around with BC he seems to not like Wigan - out of all the pundits hes the one i pick up the most hate toward wigan on not sure what its all about but whenever he can dig into Wigan he does
Because we wouldn't release him so he could go down under and then wouldn't take him back when it went tits up due to how he went about trying to get a release back in the day, that's how I remember it, could be wrong though