League 1 club follow up two Wigan Warrior signings with arrival of exciting youngster

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

League 1 club follow up two Wigan Warrior signings with arrival of exciting youngster

Post by josie andrews »

Rochdale Hornets have followed up the announcements that Wigan Warriors youngsters Ben O’Keefe and Toby Branan with the signing of exciting hooker Tommy Porter from London Broncos, for the 2023 campaign.

Porter, who came through the Broncos academy, moved to the North West to study at the University of Manchester for whom he has already scored three tries for.

The 18 year-old, who also has rugby union experience, says he made the decision to sign for Hornets because of the reputation of the club and head coach Gary Thornton.

Porter said: “I wanted to sign as I have heard great things about the club being very professional.

“I spoke to people that spoke very highly of Gary’s high standard processes and that he is a great bloke too.

“My main goals are to get selected for as many games as I can and to give all my effort to help get this team promoted or at least the play-offs.”

Porter is the latest addition to the Hornets squad looking to gain promotion to the Betfred Championship this campaign, and Thornton is excited to see what the youngster can offer.

“Tommy was recommended to me by former coaching staff at London Broncos and I’m excited to see what he can do,” said Thornton.

“He has already impressed in pre-season and, with his energy and speed out of dummy half, he has all the skills required to become a quality number nine.”

Club chairman Andy Mazey has echoed the positivity, he said: “The academy at Broncos has churned out some fantastic talent in recent years.

“Tommy is a young player who was highly recommended to Gary and he will be looking to force his way into the mix.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/league-1 ... ter-64300/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan