NRL confirms huge salary cap increase which dwarfs Super League equivalent

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

NRL confirms huge salary cap increase which dwarfs Super League equivalent

Post by josie andrews »

The NRL has announce that the NRL and NRLW salary cap for the 2023 season which will be at a new record-breaking level for both male and female players.

The 2023 NRL Premiership salary cap will increase to $12.1m in 2023 from $9.6m in 2022, a 25% increase.

The cap for top 30 players will increase to a historic high of $11.45 million, a 22% increase from the 2022 salary cap.

This equates to £6.7 million for the full squad and £6.6 million for the top 30.

This is a whopping three times what the current Super League figure stands at which is £2.1 million.

Back to the NRL, the development list will increase from $240,000 to $650,000, capturing the relevant development player payments.

The 2023 NRL Women’s Premiership’s salary cap will increase by 153% to $884,000.

To ensure players share in this unprecedented increase, the NRL has announced that the minimum salary for all male players in a club’s top 30 NRL squad will grow to $120,000.

As a result of today’s announcement, players who have the standard form ratchet clause in their playing contract will receive an 18% increase to their playing fee, with the increase to be effective from 1 November, resulting in a well-timed year-end bonus.

With the welcome addition of the Dolphins to the NRL Premiership and the NRLW Premiership expanding to a 10-team competition with the inclusion of the Cronulla Sharks, North Queensland Cowboys, Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers, more elite players will be part of the rugby league family than ever before and will share in these significant pay increases.

Whilst the RLPA and NRL continue negotiations, the parties had extended the current amended CBA.

The above increases will be in addition to the players’ entitlements under the current amended CBA while the parties continue negotiations in good faith.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/nrl-conf ... ent-64775/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: NRL confirms huge salary cap increase which dwarfs Super League equivalent

Post by josie andrews »

Well unless you’re a home bird or players like Lockers, Farrell, Sinfield or McGuire etc SL cannot compete with that salary cap for keeping our best players ☹️
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

this is where IMG will earn their money if they are going to be considered successful

at the minute there is no way we can compete with that

min cap = $3.6 based on 30 players earning the min. If you average it out over the 30 it equates to $380k each

Current exchange rate for a min earning player equates to approx #66k GBP (sorry pound sign not working on keyboard), so if someone like Gildart can get a gig over there, thats the minimum he will be on

just found this too whilst looking at what the development tier was (basically reserves), so their game can accomodate $650k for a reserve tier

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

it explains quite well the NRL salary cap, what is included / excluded i.e. player sponsorships, so agent earn your money and get me a nice big sponsorship (its a couple of years old, so the numbers dont match what Josie has posted above)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Game over, nice on you pack of selfish barstewards, give it two seasons and all the best UK players will be gone and we will be left watching the likes of Sam Powell, Zach Fishwick, Zak Hardaker and many other has-beens and never where's :x
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

medlocke wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:34 am Game over, nice on you pack of selfish barstewards, give it two seasons and all the best UK players will be gone and we will be left watching the likes of Sam Powell, Zach Fishwick, Zak Hardaker and many other has-beens and never where's :x
thing is Meds, we could do something about it.

one thing i picked out of the 2nd link i posted, is that all clubs must spend up to 95% of the cap. none of this ragging around as we have over here. They give them the money to spend (TV deal), so spend it on players.

player sponsorships / endorsements - doesnt count on the cap, so they are actively encouraged to earn more by getting sponsored, and as long as the club / NRL approve, it doesnt count on the cap. Our players are actively denied the chance as it counts towards the cap if i recall correctly (but cant find anything to support either way after having a good search)

i'm not saying we should be paying 6.6m (equivalent of the AUD), but increase it to 3m or 3.5m, and let players get sponsorship. It may not be big corporations to start off with, but i am pretty sure Sam before he went to NZ would have easily gotten Gillette or similar type of company to sponsor him.

it just seems like at the minute, that the RFL / SL are happy to maintain the status quo, whereas the NRL have had a bit of a kick off with players and authorities, and there has been progress made. Players make the game, so give them the rewards for being professional athletes
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Paul Sculthorpe was the last player to have a sponsorship with Gillette!

It’s just disgraceful that Rugby League players can’t earn money away from the game without it being counted on the salary cap!

Look at Soccer players they get a ridiculous amount of money paid in wages from their clubs & still do sponship deals 😠
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:07 am Paul Sculthorpe was the last player to have a sponsorship with Gillette!

It’s just disgraceful that Rugby League players can’t earn money away from the game without it being counted on the salary cap!

Look at Soccer players they get a ridiculous amount of money paid in wages from their clubs & still do sponship deals 😠
i like the Ozzie idea Josie, in that the players club cannot be involved in setting up the deal. that way they are impartial to it, and thus cannot be implicated with it for salary cap reasons. It also gives the player agents something to do, other than use Wigan as a negotiating tool for a contract over here or in Oz. They could actually be out there speaking to companies and having player X heading up their marketing campaign :)

re Scully, yep i knew that and thats why i used it in my example :). They were sponsors for the test series if i recall correctly, but as you say, that was the last time a league player has been seen on TV adverts, other than the guy who used to play for London Broncos, and packed in RL to go an do full time adverts cos he had the looks etc :)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:54 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:07 am Paul Sculthorpe was the last player to have a sponsorship with Gillette!

i like the Ozzie idea Josie, in that the players club cannot be involved in setting up the deal. that way they are impartial to it, and thus cannot be implicated with it for salary cap reasons. It also gives the player agents something to do, other than use Wigan as a negotiating tool for a contract over here or in Oz. They could actually be out there speaking to companies and having player X heading up their marketing campaign :)

re Scully, yep i knew that and thats why i used it in my example :). They were sponsors for the test series if i recall correctly, but as you say, that was the last time a league player has been seen on TV adverts, other than the guy who used to play for London Broncos, and packed in RL to go an do full time adverts cos he had the looks etc :)
I recall there was some tie in with Jacamo some time back as well with several players being seen in tv ads and online
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:44 pm I recall there was some tie in with Jacamo some time back as well with several players being seen in tv ads and online
Weren’t they not the clubs official clothing company during a season, especially for suits for one of the finals not sure if it was GF or CC?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:24 pm
medlocke wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:44 pm I recall there was some tie in with Jacamo some time back as well with several players being seen in tv ads and online
We’re they not the clubs official clothing company during a season, especially for suits for one of the finals not sure if it was GF or CC?
They might have been Josie, surely there will be something mention in a post/thread from the past on here