Green card set for major role within rugby league after rule chang

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Green card set for major role within rugby league after rule chang

Post by josie andrews »

Proposals have been drawn up which will see the card used more frequently this year.

The green card is set to become a more prominent feature within rugby league in 2023 as plans to amend the the rule draws closer. Rugby League Live understands proposals have been drawn up which will see the card used more frequently ahead of the upcoming season.

The rule, which was brought up in a recent meeting of Super League coaches, was first introduced last year but the use of the card was rare. When it was first implemented, the wording of the rule stated that the green card would only be issued if a physio, doctor or head trainer requested for the game to be paused. However, the ruling is now set to be simplified. It's thought that in 2023, a player will be shown a green card if the game is forced to be paused for them to receive treatment. If the player is shown the green card, they will have to stay off the field for two minutes.

It's believed the change is being encouraged in an attempt to stop players from attempting to pick up a player who has stayed down while also discouraging players from feigning injury, an issue coaches have agreed is a persisting problem. It's hoped the changes will help eradicate that given the time off the field, as well as bring an end to players interfering with opponents who have stayed down for treatment.

It's hoped that the change will also reduce the number of stoppages within the game. Work is still being done around the ruling but it is expected to be implemented in the coming weeks. Head injury assessments will remain as they currently are.

Rule changes will be kept to a minimum in 2023, though the RFL is also expected to implement the 18th-man rule that was used during the World Cup. The rule, which is also used in the NRL, allows a team to name an 18th man in their matchday squad who can then be used if three players fail head injury assessments.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... 3-25879386
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Green card set for major role within rugby league after rule chang

Post by the pieman »

i'm just trying to think of the scenarios in regards to the green card and whether it will work or not. the ones i've put below feel like a negative take on it, but genuinely trying to think if / how it will work, and what is the benefit. We all believe that players are faking injury, and it needs to be stopped, but not sure that this is the solution at the minute. I'd personally go yellow and 10 mins where it was genuinely cheating (however you are then getting subjective and we all wont see things the same)

Player x gets seriously injured (concussion for example), goes down, plays carries on, eventually stopped but then shown green card, so off for 2 mins. Chances are unlikely to return, so does the genuine substitution get prevented from happening until after 2 mins or would they be able to come on straight away as they do today. If the sub can be made from the second the player leaves the pitch then no issues with it, however, to lose a player for 2 mins for something genuine, doesnt feel right

Player x side is under massive pressure defending their own line. Goes down with a knock. Stops play, momemtum stopped, 2 mins on sideline. Chances are that side could hold out for 2 mins til player X back on pitch, job done for player x. This is example of where i think the card is intended to be used by punishing the side for 2 mins with player less
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Only way I can see to stop players cheating is to clamp down on it, lay down the law to both the players & coaches, and then retrospectively ban players after the game if needed.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Gerrumonside wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 am Only way I can see to stop players cheating is to clamp down on it, lay down the law to both the players & coaches, and then retrospectively ban players after the game if needed.
thats what i was thinking when typing up my previous post. I was trying to think how it would work, but just cant see the benefit at the minute of the green card.

i'd got 10 mins in the bin (if it was very clear) in a similar way to how football sometimes shows the yellow for blatent dives. 10 mins off the pitch will soon get the message across. the flipside as i alluded to is how to you determine what is acting / not? if not clear on the pitch, then in match review, go for retrospective ban (or fine as its moving to)

i get that players have pushed the boundaries of the laws for years (in all sports), but RL has always have a reputation that players respsected refs / opponents. The game is played hard and fair (yes, sometimes it crosses the line), but it has seemed like the cheating / showing of cards to the ref etc has crept in over the last couple of years. now is the time to stop it, before it becomes commonplace, and a weekly item in our games
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Gerrumonside wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 am Only way I can see to stop players cheating is to clamp down on it, lay down the law to both the players & coaches, and then retrospectively ban players after the game if needed.
I tend to agree with "G" It certainly needs sorting. I think that 10 minutes off the field in cases which requires medical assessment or for feigning injury ( one for safety reasons and one for tactical cheating reasons ie,a punishment I feel 2 minutes in both cases is not enough I can see it being manipulated by design. Any change in the Constitution of the game should only be introduced after rigorous discussion
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

archiekeith wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:58 am
I tend to agree with "G" It certainly needs sorting. I think that 10 minutes off the field in cases which requires medical assessment or for feigning injury ( one for safety reasons and one for tactical cheating reasons ie,a punishment I feel 2 minutes in both cases is not enough I can see it being manipulated by design. Any change in the Constitution of the game should only be introduced after rigorous discussion
10 minutes off the field if you are genuinely injured enough to require attention? That doesn't seem fair, or safe TBH. That's the problem here, what's feigning injury and what isn't - its very tricky.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

I accept what you say. That's why I stressed the need for rigorous discussion Mike