England dealt Test series blow as 2023 series and Shaun Wane future in doubt

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Caboosegg

Re: England dealt Test series blow as 2023 series and Shaun Wane future in doubt

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:15 pm
The Yonner wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:20 pm Mitigating circumstances certainly, but the bottom line is the failure to beat Samoa in the semi-final was a catastrophic result. Australia and New Zealand in the country for six weeks but neither got to play against England.

Going for experienced but ageing players like McIlorum and Hall wasn't the wisest move.

I don't think SW can really complain if he loses the job.
You have a point..it was baffling those 2 selections picking a form player such as Ackers you play him there’s no point otherwise him being there,as for Hall if the comp had gone ahead in ‘21 I’d have said a solid player to have in the side but that extra 12 months hadn’t been kind to him.
Hall didn't play in the bug games though did he?

Mickey Mac ended up being a wise choice Ackers looked good vs weak opposition he's untested vs better teams.

Samoa being catastrophic result? A team full of NRL players who has just won a GF who scaled NZ last time round who no one expected England to beat once.

I'm sorry while I do feel the experience missing from the squad due to retiring players is the reason we lost. it was hardly catastrophic.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
The Yonner

Re: England dealt Test series blow as 2023 series and Shaun Wane future in doubt

Post by The Yonner »

It was catastrophic because the tournament was set up for England to meet the winner of Australia versus NZ in the final by meeting a weaker side, I.e. Samoa or Tonga in their semi final. Failing to win that semi made the final a non-event, and surely an embarrassment that England can't beat an NRL second string.

By missing the opportunity to play against either Australia or NZ it has extended the gap between such test matches, which, as the OP describes, will now be extended further.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The Yonner wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:25 am It was catastrophic because the tournament was set up for England to meet the winner of Australia versus NZ in the final by meeting a weaker side, I.e. Samoa or Tonga in their semi final. Failing to win that semi made the final a non-event, and surely an embarrassment that England can't beat an NRL second string.

By missing the opportunity to play against either Australia or NZ it has extended the gap between such test matches, which, as the OP describes, will now be extended further.

This isn't 10 years ago the island are no longer just second string. I am extremely disappointed we didn't make the final but at the same time where are talking about a team full of NRL first team players who also upset NZW last time round.

It was never set up for England to make the final, all the commentary, pundits and alot of the fans wrote us off.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:25 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:15 pm
The Yonner wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:20 pm Mitigating circumstances certainly, but the bottom line is the failure to beat Samoa in the semi-final was a catastrophic result. Australia and New Zealand in the country for six weeks but neither got to play against England.

Going for experienced but ageing players like McIlorum and Hall wasn't the wisest move.

I don't think SW can really complain if he loses the job.
You have a point..it was baffling those 2 selections picking a form player such as Ackers you play him there’s no point otherwise him being there,as for Hall if the comp had gone ahead in ‘21 I’d have said a solid player to have in the side but that extra 12 months hadn’t been kind to him.
Hall didn't play in the bug games though did he?

Mickey Mac ended up being a wise choice Ackers looked good vs weak opposition he's untested vs better teams.

Samoa being catastrophic result? A team full of NRL players who has just won a GF who scaled NZ last time round who no one expected England to beat once.

I'm sorry while I do feel the experience missing from the squad due to retiring players is the reason we lost. it was hardly catastrophic.
And that’s why Hall shouldn’t have been in the squad,he was past his sell by date,I’d have taken a punt on Marshall but that’s my Wigan bias showing there,the same thing said about macilorum frankly I’d have gone for Leeming ahead of him as for them being untested who cares there was plenty of experience in the squad.

Samoa was the first test England faced and they failed it,sad but true I look back at that first game and wonder if England had lost it by a slim margin it’d have done more good than rampantly brushing aside an undercooked side but that’s all guesswork I suppose.