Rugby union's new tackle height laws may be a sign of what's to come for league

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
archiekeith

Re: Rugby union's new tackle height laws may be a sign of what's to come for league

Post by archiekeith »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:16 am
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:57 pm It will be the end of either code if this goes through & the RFL follow suit! You may as well play touch rugby!
I think you could be right josie. It seems their are two horns to this bull so to speak both leading to an antimony. Eradicate possibility of serious brain problems in later life or leave things as they are and take the risk and everything that goes with it Not a situation the RFU/RL find themselves in a massive paradox.

From a RL point of view. I can't help thinking that if RL follow RFU,the game itself viz. players and coaches are partially responsible for the dangerous play inherent in our game. There is it seems to me a macho approach in our game exhibited in our game by both some players and fans alike evidenced by player foul play (deliberate or otherwise and some social media responses If Refs officiated the games strictly by our existing rules ,and I've said this before,our game would never get off the ground. It seems to me that we may be about to reap what we've sown
morley pie eater

Re: Rugby union's new tackle height laws may be a sign of what's to come for league

Post by morley pie eater »

Another article on proposed changes to tackling in union in The Guardian. I was particularly interested in this bit:
Fewer replacements would also ensure more fatigued bodies on the field. If not, maybe it is time to consider a 12-a-side game with rolling subs in an effort to open up more space.
To me, there's no doubt that the problem of head-high tackles causing long-term injury has got worse in part due to players being bigger, stronger and fitter. Reducing the number of interchanges may help, and could arguably produce more space for the likes of Field, French and Marshall to flourish.

Also interesting to hear the idea of 12-a-side floated in RU. Maybe they'll settle on 13 as a compromise?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... -breakdown
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Fwiw, I think RU would almost certainly be a better games with a few less players. But you can't mess around with the sanctity of the scrum, apparently. The set-piece always comes first!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Furious backlash to proposed rule changes in rugby league

Both rugby league and rugby union are pushing the boat out to increase participation at a young age.

However, in doing so they could both be driving players away.

It is well documented that rugby union’s decision to lower tackle height to the waist making anything higher illegal has caused fury across the sport which has even bled into rugby league with people, including those in parliament, suggesting it could drive players to rugby league.

That said, rugby league also likes to shoot itself in the foot and in Australia parents are said to be furious over suggestions that tackles could be banned at under 7s and all games will be uncompetitive with no score kept record of until the age of 13.

Such has been the backlash to these rules, the introduction of them has been delayed.

‘All our clubs were strongly against it,’ Manly Juniors president Kim Hunter told the Sydney Morning Herald.

There’s a lot of things that could come into it, but we felt because it was such a huge change to the game that would really disrupt our clubs and players that we just couldn’t support it.

‘People could easily join another district to play competitively.’

‘Kids know when they score a try, they know when they are playing well, and they know when they are making tackles,’ he said.

These are the underpinning foundations of what good performance is.’

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/furious- ... gue-68150/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan