Rugby union's new tackle height laws may be a sign of what's to come for league

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Sutty

Re: Rugby union's new tackle height laws may be a sign of what's to come for league

Post by Sutty »

When asked if Rob Burrow was interested in joining the band wagon making claims against the RFL, regarding permanent head injuries, his dad apparently said that he'd spoken to him and he said "no way" and that he was grateful for everything that RL had allowed him to achieve with his life and the opportunities it had given him.

Surely any player goes onto the pitch, no matter what level you're playing at, knowing that injury can be part and parcel of the game. It's impossible to completely eradicate head injuries, but with the HIA tests that are carried out now and the playing protocols following a concussion, is there much more that the authorities can actually do, without killing off the game? These, let's be honest, stupid and over the top rule changes by the RFU scream of utter panic and not really thinking about the game as a whole. I wonder if many of the people sitting on that board are former players and whether they've asked many of the current players and coaches for their views :roll:

Fizz Bomb

Re: Rugby union's new tackle height laws may be a sign of what's to come for league

Post by Fizz Bomb »

How are they going to protect someone’s head during either a ruck or a maul? Like wise when you are in a scrum and both packs are pushing at each other your head is where it is, you can’t move it very much, especially when you are in the front row. Personally l hope they make it unplayable as it’s already unwatchable
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

The main issue feels like it is down to the integrity of all the players that are contributing to the legal pursuit.

Surely all of these players were aware of the potential risks when playing the game as a junior, as with any sport, with any activity there is a cost-benefit analysis.

admittedly my understanding of this is only from the information within the forum so my ignorance could be missing the point
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I played union from 15 to 23 against men took 2 years out played one more season walked away. Developed back issue. I knew before playing i would risk injury to neck spine and concussion as well as broken bones.

Every player knew the risks union has developed where scrums are safe since around 1996 you could not drop your neck lower than your hip level in a scrum. Even to the point of touch pause engage which has eliminated a lot of scrum collapses that led to serious injury. You no longer attack a scrum in union before you set it.

Again i knew the risk playing lower standard union in North Wales i knew the risk and still played.

Those seeking money are doing it because they have squandered what they got out of the game. That is their fault. They want an easy pay day. Disgusting.

As for the new union tackling all players will run the ball in lower and will lead to more injuries to shoulders and upper body. IF you can not tackle above the waist line then its natural for the ball carrier to drop his hight going into contact lessens the tackle area. This will lead to more head injuries in the tackle for the tackler.

Rugby will be dead if we let people tell us what to do. Non contact league is not going to work.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

American Football did a big piece of research on concussion and use of their helmets and some of the findings were interesting as obviously they wear helmets. However what they found is that a large part of the problems was deceleration - after all your brain is floating in your skull so any fast deceleration and it smacks against it on the inside which is what causes the more serious issues.

I dont think that head high tackles is a problem on this certainly not as much as you would be made believe otherwise the percentage of boxers with irreversible damage would be huge when actually its quite small.

them problem is running at speed and stopping abruptly the combined force is what hurts players. i think waist high just increases the risk of players getting a knee in the temple which is far worse for you than a head high tackle.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Clubs set to rebel against new tackle rule in warning to RFL about following suit

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) have announced that from the 1st of July this year a huge change on tackling will be implemented across all amateur level from both age grade and adult rugby.

The proposed changes that will take effect from the midway mark of the year will lower the legal height of tackling with the RFU Council agreeing to the law change on Monday 16th January.

In effect the law change will now prohibit any tackles that are made above waist height in an attempt to improve player safety.

The statement that announced the proposed change was posted on the RFU website.

“Designed to improve player safety and informed by data, this change aims to reduce head impact exposure and concussion risk in the tackle for both the ball carrier and tackler. Evidence from studies has consistently demonstrated that higher contact on the ball carrier and closer proximity of the ball carrier and tacklers’ heads are associated with larger head impacts (as measured by smart mouthguards) and an increased risk of concussion.

“Lowering the height of the tackle and encouraging the tackler to bend more at the waist will minimise the risk of this occurring while maintaining the tackle as an integral part of the game.

“The RFU Council’s unanimous vote will result in law variations from next season, 2023/24, with the tackle height being set at waist height or below.

“Ball carriers will also be encouraged to follow the principle of evasion, which is a mainstay of the game, to avoid late dipping and thereby avoid creating a situation where a bent tackler may be put at increased risk of head-on-head contact with the ball carrier through a late or sudden change in body height of the ball carrier.”

The potential for this to impact rugby league is unknown but with IMG set to take over the game it’s an uncertain time for the sport in general.

On whether the RFL could follow suit Simon Johnson, the Rugby Football League chairman, told The Mail on Sunday that the domestic governing body were “constantly looking at the rulebook and collaborate very closely with rugby union and other collision sports on the issue of concussion and player safety.”

Now though the RFL have been given some food for thought with 208 clubs calling a for a general meeting in what could see the RFU board face a vote of no confidence according to the Times.

It seems rugby won’t change it’s nature without a fight.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/clubs-se ... uit-67137/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Following on from this announcement by whoever decided

https://twitter.com/andygrundy10/status ... tsc40AAMAw

This is a good podcast to watch even though it is about RU

https://twitter.com/philisared/status/1 ... tsc40AAMAw
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I like the red card for head shots etc, bring it on
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

RFU warned of a ‘player exodus’ to rugby league over new tackle laws

Legal tackle height will be lowered to the waist across English community rugby from next season, prompting a backlash across the game.

The Rugby Football Union could face a no confidence vote generated by grassroots clubs in the wake of its radical tackle-height change. Legal tackle height will be lowered to the waist across English community rugby from next season.

The move was unanimously approved by RFU Council members last week in an attempt to support player welfare, notably reducing head impact exposure. It will apply across the community game – clubs, schools, colleges and universities at both age-grade and adult levels – covering the National One division and below in the men’s game and Championship One and below in the women’s game from July 1.

But many clubs have been angered at what they see as a lack of consultation. The Times reported on Thursday that 200 clubs have joined forces to call for a special general meeting of the RFU. In its latest update on tackle height, the RFU said: “We understand the rugby community has a range of questions in reaction to the recent announcement that the tackle height is to be lowered across the community game from next season.

“We recognise the change is challenging, and the community game has understandably provided significant feedback on the change. However, the large body of scientific evidence strongly indicates that it will reduce the incidence of head injuries in the community game. There will be further discussions with Council members during the next few days before further details on the intent and details around the changes are published to the wider game.

“We consider the decision to reduce the tackle height to be the start of the process, to allow for a period of engagement in the coming weeks with groups of coaches, players and referees, drawn from across the country and from all levels of the game, including the men’s women’s and age-grade game, over the detail, intent and implications of the law change, before finalising it.”

Meanwhile, a Conservative former minister has warned of a player exodus to rugby league if the RFU pushes ahead with the changes. Speaking in the Commons, Stephen Crabb, MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, congratulated Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle on becoming the new president of the Rugby Football League before adding: “I suspect your form of the game is going to see a big influx of new players as the English Rugby Football Union seeks to rewrite the rules of the union game.

“So could I ask the minister that given that 75,000 players, coaches, supporters of the union game have already signed a petition rejecting the new rules, does he agree with me that the RFU should think again, should work more collaboratively with the grassroots across all home nations and ensure all steps taken to improve player safety are consistent, workable and don’t lead to a player exodus?”

Sports minister Stuart Andrew replied: “I can assure (Mr Crabb) that we continue to work with sports, and that includes the RFU, to ensure that player safety is prioritised and I will certainly raise the points he has raised in my next meeting with them.”

Mark Pawsey, the Conservative MP for Rugby in Warwickshire, said: “We’ve already heard about the RFU changes in the tackle law for rugby and we understand that that’s in the interests of making the game safer, but we’ve heard about concerns amongst players more broadly. There is another issue which is that since the elite game is administered internationally, the new laws will only apply at a community level and many players – both elite and community players – believe this is wrong. Would the minister or the Secretary of State (Michelle Donelan) agree in principle that the rules and laws of any sport should apply equally to all of those who take part?”

Mr Andrew, in his reply, said: “These national governing bodies, international governing bodies are independent of government but he raises very important points that – as I committed a moment ago – I’ll be more than happy to raise in my next meeting with the RFU and perhaps he and I could have further discussion about this in due course.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-26082179
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Could be very good for league getting a load of decent union players coming into the game, We've not had that since the early 90's