John Bateman's NRL return hits road bump after being left 'stranded' in UK

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

John Bateman's NRL return hits road bump after being left 'stranded' in UK

Post by josie andrews »

Bateman has signed for Wests Tigers ahead of the 2023 season.

John Bateman's return to the NRL has hit a snag as visa issues have left him 'stranded' in the UK. The England ace, who has signed for Wests Tigers from Wigan Warriors, has been unable to link up with his new teammates as a result of the issue.

Such has been the delay, Tigers coach Tim Sheens has admitted they are uncertain whether he will be available in time for their first game of the season, which takes place on March 5th against Gold Coast Titans.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the delay has been caused due to the timing of the deal. It's reported that Bateman couldn't officially apply for a visa until his contract was lodged, which was done over the Christmas period. As a result, that caused further delays.

We’re not putting a date on when he’ll be here. We’ve got immigration people and experts trying to sort it out. It’s a bit unusual, but he’s also not coming on his own. We wouldn’t use him in the first trial, but we’d aim to have him play in the second trial. We need to get him here first.”

Instead, Bateman has been preparing for the season in his native Bradford. The England back-rower posted a picture of him in a gym on Thursday. “He’s still doing plenty of weights and general fitness,” Sheens said “We’re sending him videos of our training sessions and plays, and I’m in constant touch with him – we’ll speak two or three times a week. He’s aware of everything we’re doing here.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-26019189
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: John Bateman's NRL return hits road bump after being left 'stranded' in UK

Post by josie andrews »

Oh deary me!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:09 pm Oh deary me!
:D :D :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Convictions? He had a visa before.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Oh! What a shame.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

When I read this yesterday I sat there and laughed thinking to myself wouldn't it be ironic if it all went tits up and access was denied, then the only club that had any space left was Bradford Bulls on a 6th of what he was going to get in Oz :D
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:04 am When I read this yesterday I sat there and laughed thinking to myself wouldn't it be ironic if it all went tits up and access was denied, then the only club that had any space left was Bradford Bulls on a 6th of what he was going to get in Oz :D
May be ironic as he left us stranded (possibly!) :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ex-Wigan Warriors star John Bateman’s move to NRLis no closer following visa issues as he heads to Bradford Bulls clash as eager viewer for Championship clash

FORMER Wigan Warriors star John Bateman is still in the UK, despite signing a four-year deal with NRL side Wests Tigers.

Bateman is having visa issues, but was expected to be Down Under at the end of last month only for the hold up to continue into February.

The second-rower has been brought in by Tim Sheens and co. at Wests after the Tigers and Wigan were able to strike up a deal.

Bateman was, of course, only halfway through a four-year deal at the DW Stadium so a transfer fee was involved.

Sheens had said, back in mid-January: “There have been a couple of issues with the visa, and the government [departments] in both countries shut down over Christmas, so that slowed us down [further],” Wests boss Tim Sheens told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“We’re not putting a date on when he’ll be here. We’ve got immigration people and experts trying to sort it out.

“It’s a bit unusual, but he’s also not coming on his own.

We wouldn’t use him in the first trial, but we’d aim to have him play in the second trial. We need to get him here first.”

To play him in that second trial, Bateman would need to be in Australia by Sunday 19 February – when Wests go up against the Canberra Raiders.

However, the England international was present at his former club Bradford Bulls’ opening Championship clash against Whitehaven yesterday as he waits patiently for his visa.

https://www.totalrl.com/ex-wigan-warrio ... hip-clash/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

😂😂