Decision on Shaun Wane’s England future set as critical RFL chairman shows frustrations

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Decision on Shaun Wane’s England future set as critical RFL chairman shows frustrations

Post by josie andrews »

Wane's future remains up in the air as RFL chairman Simon Johnson leads a review into the performance of the men's side.

Rugby Football League chairman Simon Johnson has confirmed a decision on Shaun Wane will be announced in mid-February but has revealed his frustration over the international calendar. A review is currently being undertaken into the performance of the men’s, women’s and wheelchair teams and the governing body will hold a board meeting next month.

A decision on whether Wane stays on as head coach will then be announced, with the ex-Wigan Warriors boss having voiced his desire to continue in the job. Wane’s contract expired at the end of last year and Johnson told Rugby League Live: “We’ve got a board meeting in the middle of February and we’re aiming to make a decision by then and communicate it shortly afterwards.

I’ve spoken to Shaun since the World Cup and any coach would want the chance to put right what happened. All that will all feed into a review by the performance staff of the whole tournament, not just the men’s team but also the women’s and wheelchair sides. The views of the coaches, Shaun, the players, backroom staff will all be taken into account and assessed in a presentation to the RFL board in the middle of February. A decision will then be announced.”

England will play a mid-season international against France in each of the next three years and hope to host a Test series against Southern Hemisphere opposition this autumn. But progress remains slow and Johnson said: “Whoever is coaching England will want to know what the programme is but my frustration as chairman is that I can’t formally confirm that right now.

“We’re getting there, but it’s moving at a glazily slow pace. We need the agreement of an international calendar to give us the ability to confirm a programme of matches between now and the 2025 World Cup. I know what programme we have pencilled in – clearly we want to play Southern Hemisphere opposition at the end of the season – but it’s wrapped up in the collective bargaining agreement between the NRL and the Rugby League Players Association in Australia. We need that to be finalised so that we can get an agreement with the countries that we have pencilled in order to get players are released.”

Johnson did not divulge who England are hoping to play this autumn but Tonga or Samoa have been touted as the most likely opponents. He said: “What the World Cup showed is that Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and Papua New Guinea are very credible international teams who would give great Test match competition to our men’s team.

“But it’s a frustration that we cannot map out exactly what our international programme is going to be over the next two years. Now I’m hopeful that we will be nearer to that when we hold a board meeting next month. Therefore, when we do make a decision on the England men’s head coach, the conversation will not just be about him but also about us and what we can offer. At the moment our hands are tied, but we absolutely want to be hosting a Test series at the end of 2023 and 2024 against high-quality Southern Hemisphere opposition.”

Wane, who was appointed as Wayne Bennett’s successor nearly three years ago, guided England to the World Cup semi-finals where his team suffered a heart breaking defeat to Samoa. Assessing England’s performance during the tournament, Johnson added: “I thought we played really well, apart from at times in the semi-final and in extra-time particularly.

“It was very disappointing for everybody and I think even the coaches would accept this. A team who looked like they were improving actually ended up playing their worst game in the biggest game. I think we were all disappointed with that and it was frustrating as a fan that players who had performed so brilliantly made errors in that game that were punished.

“I know the coaching staff and players would have prepared to peak for that game and it was just really disappointing as a fan that they weren’t able do to do that. I know Shaun and the coaches would have been hurting about it just as much as we were.”

Johnson did not comment on whether or not any other any potential candidates were being considered should Wane not be awarded a new deal. Meanwhile, after Craig Richards’ departure as head coach of the England women’s team, assistant Stuart Barrow is expected to be named as his successor. Tony Sutton is currently serving as the RFL’s interim CEO after Ralph Rimmer’s departure last month. Sutton wants the job permanently and is on a shortlist as the governing body close in on an appointment.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Decision on Shaun Wane’s England future set as critical RFL chairman shows frustrations

Post by medlocke »

Best we've had in years, hope we keep him
archiekeith

Re: Decision on Shaun Wane’s England future set as critical RFL chairman shows frustrations

Post by archiekeith »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:29 pm Best we've had in years, hope we keep him
Yes he's excelled himself which is good for him and hopefully us
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

I would say he's hardly excelled himself, to loose in the way they did to Samoa wasn't good enough.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:12 pm I would say he's hardly excelled himself, to loose in the way they did to Samoa wasn't good enough.
Have to agree,he for me at least got the squad wrong and went to “safe” with old heads,that said he should keep the job as there’s so little time now before the next World Cup,plus those older heads won’t be around and to me that’ll play into Wanes strengths,playing younger lads.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:12 pm I would say he's hardly excelled himself, to loose in the way they did to Samoa wasn't good enough.
Put the blame on the centre not the coach Wayne and the team had a great tournament over all
jobo

Post by jobo »

What was your thinking following the first game against Samoa?
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Good question Jobo. Surely it deserves an answer?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The team was not good enough.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:43 pm The team was not good enough.
So following the first game with Samoa your reaction was not good enough. What nonsense !!