Saints or Penrith

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: Saints or Penrith

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:05 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:15 am Who do you want to win?
Saints of course Can't abide the childish immature negative vitriol levied against them. And I'm a Wigan supporter of 60 years plus.
Me too 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

World Club Challenge kick-off time changed after warning of “deadly” conditions

The NRL will adjust the kick-off times to NRL Pre-Season matches on Saturday, including the World Club Challenge between Penrith Panthers and St Helens.

The decision was made due to player safety concerns around the forecasted heat and humidity in Regional NSW and Western Sydney.

The has thanked broadcast partners FOX, SKY NZ and SKY UK as well as participating clubs (St George Illawarra Dragons, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Penrith Panthers, St Helens, Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys) as well as venues for their cooperation and flexibility.

Updated UK kick off times for Saturday’s games

5.20am — Dragons v Rabbitohs at Glen Willow Oval, Mudgee

7.50am — Panthers v St Helens at Bluebet Stadium, Penrith

9:55am — Broncos v Cowboys at Sunshine Coast Stadium

The World Club Challenge is set to be shown live on Channel 4 with coverage starting from 6:45 am.

Meanwhile Sky Sports will also be showing the game on Main Event and Arena from 7:00 am

These changes come as Saints were warned of “deadly” weather.

Former South Sydney Rabbitohs forward Nathan Gibbs who is a doctor in the impact of the significant heat in Sydney’s west has issued a warning for St Helens.

‘Serious heat illness can kill you,’ Dr Gibbs said according to the Daily Mail.

Heat stroke is deadly. Heat stress doesn’t occur suddenly. You need the medical staff to closely monitor players who are starting to develop signs of dehydration, which include fatigue, cramping and exhaustion.

‘The Australian players have been training here all summer so they are acclimatised to the heat. Acclimatisation is a big part of preparing for heat stress.’

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/world-cl ... ons-68151/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I would usually shout for the English club no matter what but i what Saints to get absolutely blitzed

Their fans are convinced they'd win the NRL if they played in the comp and the weekend win against St Georges B team has done nothing be enforce that to them- i want them to be fact checked
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

NRL introduces rule changes and alters kick-off time for World Club Challenge due to Sydney heat

Temperatures are soaring in Australia ahead of St Helens' showdown with Penrith.

The NRL have sanctioned a number of major rule changes ahead of Saturday's World Club Challenge to protect the St Helens and Penrith Panthers players from the soaring heat in Australia. Temperatures are forecast to hit 39 degrees around kick-off time on Saturday - and the game has also been pushed back by nearly an hour too.

It will now kick off at 7:50am UK time instead of 9am. Meanwhile, each team will be allowed to use 18 players in the match instead of 17, giving the Saints and the Panthers an extra interchange to reduce the impact of playing in such intense heat on everyone involved.

They are not the only changes, either. Interchanges for the match were due to be just eight, but they have been increased to ten, and the World Club Challenge will also be broken into four quarters, allowing extra water breaks at the 20 and 60-minute marks.

Restrictions have also been eased on trainers too to allow them to provide water to players as and when it is required.

Saints coach Paul Wellens sought to play down the effect many feel the Australian heat will have on his side, given how they have just come Down Under from a British winter.

The one thing quite a lot of Australians mention when we come over is the heat but what people have got to realise is that we do occasionally have hot days in the UK as well – and trips to Toulouse and trips to Perpignan,” Wellens said.

“We’ve had those experiences and we played Castleford at Wembley in 2021, which was 100 degrees Fahrenheit [40 degrees Celsius] pitch side so lads have had experiences of these types of challenges.

Obviously, it’s different to what we’re used to, but we make no excuses there. The conditions are the conditions, and we will adapt accordingly.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... s-26232678
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I want to see a competitive game, and I don't want to see Saints get hammered. But seeing how Penrith have put away very good NRL sides in recent years, it's a big ask.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I don’t see past Penrith, in the same way that I didn’t see past Australia in the World Cup. The only thing in Saints favour is that they have played several pre season matches.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:45 am I don’t see past Penrith, in the same way that I didn’t see past Australia in the World Cup. The only thing in Saints favour is that they have played several pre season matches.
Penrith look at this game as a pre season match! It doesn’t really mean anything to the Aussies!!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Don’t think Penrith like the rain.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

I don't think we should devalue Sts' nilling Penrith in the first half and taking a 10-0 lead.

Both are at the same stage of the season.

They haven't won yet, but it's usually the same story at the outcome of these games :

When a English club win the Aussies weren't taking it seriously, when they win we aren't good enough.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Saints have done good up to now and nullified penriths key players….. yes they have rested players but thats because they devalue our league…… they have to realise that teams like us and saints arnt that far behind…..cant knock saints efforts though but i still want penrith to win
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE