Hooker position

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Hooker position

Post by josie andrews »

Last night I watched the last Wigan/Saints game 2022. Tonight I watched last seasons Wigan/Saints Challenge Cup semi final.

I paid particular attention to the ‘Hooker’ position in both games. We had O’Neill & they had Roby.

I understand some fans prefer how Roby plays but watching these two games Roby doesn’t always run from dummy half!

Especially in the CC game, he would get the ball from dh & just pass it, no running or scooting.

Now I know this will rile several of our members but it’s just my opinion on these two games. And no Powell in sight! 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
craigo

Re: Hooker position

Post by craigo »

Good point. And btw, I cannot stand the criticism Powell gets. He has been part of our really successful teams. And he is one of us, Big time.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I know this hooker thing with Powell had been a long running saga but I don’t believe he’s just doing his own thing with no input from the coach, if Powell is not running from dummy half against the coaches instructions surely he would have been dropped by now?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

No expectation that our hooker should run from dummy half all the time, just when it makes sense :lol:
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:03 pm Last night I watched the last Wigan/Saints game 2022. Tonight I watched last seasons Wigan/Saints Challenge Cup semi final.

I paid particular attention to the ‘Hooker’ position in both games. We had O’Neill & they had Roby.

I understand some fans prefer how Roby plays but watching these two games Roby doesn’t always run from dummy half!

Especially in the CC game, he would get the ball from dh & just pass it, no running or scooting.

Now I know this will rile several of our members but it’s just my opinion on these two games. And no Powell in sight! 😉
Being a more attacking / attack minded hooker isn’t just about runny from dummy half.

I.e Powells attacking limitations would not be wholly resolved by running from dummy half.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:34 am
josie andrews wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:03 pm Last night I watched the last Wigan/Saints game 2022. Tonight I watched last seasons Wigan/Saints Challenge Cup semi final.

Being a more attacking / attack minded hooker isn’t just about runny from dummy half.

I.e Powells attacking limitations would not be wholly resolved by running from dummy half.
This. Not sure what the point being made is here?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:49 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:34 am

This. Not sure what the point being made is here?
Is that a question to me WG or the latest reply? 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont think anyones suggested Roby always scoots

He picks the best moments to do so - always has but when he does it tends to be pretty devastating. His passing is fantastic from the ruck its fast and crisp, soft flat plays for the props to run onto, fast whip out passes

Roby is the best hooker Superleague has produced he isnt a one trick pony
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
culinator

Post by culinator »

I dont think the issue is that the hooker always scoots as has been said, the problem is in my own opinion, he never does and so other teams know that its not part of the threat they have to deal with.
The slow passing from dummy half also for me is an issue as highlighted when playing Catalan.

In saying that, Powell does do some things well, im just answering my thoughts on the statement posed.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

culinator wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:35 am I dont think the issue is that the hooker always scoots as has been said, the problem is in my own opinion, he never does and so other teams know that its not part of the threat they have to deal with.
The slow passing from dummy half also for me is an issue as highlighted when playing Catalan.

In saying that, Powell does do some things well, im just answering my thoughts on the statement posed.
id go further - the problem isnt that he doesnt - its that he can't effectively
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure