Super League CEO issues part-time warning to IMG with major changes needed

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League CEO issues part-time warning to IMG with major changes needed

Post by josie andrews »

Outgoing Wakefield Trinity chief executive has painted a grim picture of the sport's current landscape.

Wakefield Trinity chief executive Michael Carter has warned that Super League risks reverting back to becoming a part-time sport if there are not major changes made. Carter will step down from his role as CEO of Trinity by the end of this season, after announcing he would end his ten-year stint in charge of the club.

But he has warned that unless systemic changes are made with IMG's plans to revolutionise the sport both on and off the field, rugby league risks going backwards in a devastating manner. Sky Sports' television deal is up for renewal this year, having already been significantly reduced in recent seasons, and Carter believes that financial hit could have a catastrophic effect on the sport as a whole.

I think the game is in a big hole," he said. "We're pinning all our hopes on IMG being the saviour of the sport, and we've got one broadcaster who pays some money and a couple of others who do a fantastic job but I'm not convinced they've the money to invest in the game.

There's a lot of other sports vying to get into the big five sports, which we're currently in. It's not going to be easy, and I don't think anyone expects it to be, but I think being part-time again is a possibility.

"If the TV deal keeps going the way it is, certainly that could be a real possibility. Unless you've a wealthy benefactor that will fund every single club, I think you're looking at the future and wondering what it holds. There are massive challenges and difficulties for the sport."

Carter also urged those who will remain in the sport after he has departed to back IMG's plans. While admitting he would like to see more details about the finer points of the grading system, he said that the sport has to be prepared to take a bold, brave direction to change the course of action.

He said: "I don't think we've seen enough detail at the minute to see if it's right, wrong or indifferent. But we've given them our faith to say we'll work as well as we can with them to get the sport to a better place because we've no other option.

We've got to trust them, give them as much help as possible to get on and do what they do. Without them, there's nothing else. We've tried to go off on our own and it hasn't worked. Sky are saying that viewers and subscribers have remained stagnant so we've got to break the mould."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Super League CEO issues part-time warning to IMG with major changes needed

Post by the pieman »

oh the irony in that 1st paragraph, after his club has been a big part of the reason that the sport has been held back for the last 20 years or so ( i know he hasnt been at the helm all that time)

Changes need to be made, yes, get rid of all the small minded Yorkshire clubs who have held the game back, and bring in others who want to progress would be a fantastic start for all of us

I dont think anyone would be opposed to Wakey and Cas going and bringing York in for example and as i've posted previously i would love to see a Cumbria representative side with the other clubs like the Ozzie feeder leagues. Cumbria is a hotbed for rugby league, and i dont think it is being fully utilised with the clubs all being in the lower leagues
josie andrews

Re: Super League CEO issues part-time warning to IMG with major changes needed

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:49 pm oh the irony in that 1st paragraph, after his club has been a big part of the reason that the sport has been held back for the last 20 years or so ( i know he hasnt been at the helm all that time)

Changes need to be made, yes, get rid of all the small minded Yorkshire clubs who have held the game back, and bring in others who want to progress would be a fantastic start for all of us

I dont think anyone would be opposed to Wakey and Cas going and bringing York in for example and as i've posted previously i would love to see a Cumbria representative side with the other clubs like the Ozzie feeder leagues. Cumbria is a hotbed for rugby league, and i dont think it is being fully utilised with the clubs all being in the lower leagues
Spot on 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan