Rugby league's Channel 4 conundrum as TV deal throws up tricky issue to overcome

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Rugby league's Channel 4 conundrum as TV deal throws up tricky issue to overcome

Post by josie andrews »

The sport's TV deal is up for renewal at the end of the year, with talks already ongoing.

It may only have been a year but at times, it feels like Channel 4 has been involved with rugby league forever. The broadcaster has taken to the sport like the proverbial duck wading into water, with infectious and entertaining presenting teams, coupled with crisp, smart delivery of the games themselves.

When Channel 4 announced it was going to begin screening rugby league, it always felt like a seminal moment for the sport and its broadcasting future. For years, the BBC have held the monopoly of showing the game on terrestrial television, while Super League has belonged solely and exclusively to Sky Sports.

Channel 4's arrival to the market has changed perceptions of what is possible in regards to the extent of how far rugby league can reach when it comes to the mainstream and new supporters. The relationship the broadcaster has with the game is encouraging, and there are already strong signs it will be extended into 2024 and beyond.

Rugby League Live has been told the broadcaster not only wants to continue, but they would be open to showing more games next season if possible. Whether they get the opportunity depends on an ever-changing broadcast market, with RL Commercial holding talks with Channel 4 and Sky Sports in the months ahead given that both contracts expire at the end of this season.

But despite the almost deafening - and understandable - clamour for Channel 4 to get a bigger slice of the pie, the devil lies in the detail hidden beneath the pomp and circumstance surrounding the broadcaster right now. In essence, it whittles down to the one thing that really matters above anything else: cash.

The game is already experiencing seismic change when it comes to its broadcast rights. It is only two years since a substantial £40million per year arrangement was renegotiated down to £25million, meaning club finances are evolving in a way nobody would have wanted just a few years ago. Chief executives, rightly or wrongly, are warning of possible moves back to part-time rugby if the downward trajectory continues.

Whatever you think of Sky in terms of their input, promotional material or anything else - all of which, by the way, is very good from this perspective - it is an irrefutable fact that they are the paymasters of the sport in this country. They are the ones who invest more financially than anyone else, and that makes them a valuable part of rugby league's long-term future.

The facts also extend to the point that Channel 4 do not contribute anywhere near as much financially. Perhaps that was due to both they and the RFL wanting to feel their way into a relationship with one another, and not wanting to over-commit. That's understandable, but if they want more, they should now be expected to pay for it after an encouraging opening 12 months in terms of coverage and viewing figures.

The thought of more rugby league on terrestrial television is a mouthwatering and exciting one. But it shouldn't be at the expense of Sky Sports, who contribute a significant financial amount and are likely to do so again when the deals are renewed as 2023 rolls on.

Terrestrial television exposure offers huge potential for growth, but without any broadcast money, Super League as we know it would grind to a halt.

It is encouraging that from a position of a couple of years ago, when the avenues for broadcasting Super League were Sky Sports or nothing, we now have a situation where other players are coming to the market. There is talk of Prime Video. Of Apple. Maybe that's fanciful - who knows. And then, there is Channel 4, the new kid on the block who perhaps best symbolises a hope for a more prosperous future.

But we can't forget that Sky Sports are propping the sport up financially. If someone wants more of the pie: they're going to have to stump up the cash.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... v-26534654
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Rugby league's Channel 4 conundrum as TV deal throws up tricky issue to overcome

Post by fozzieskem »

The sport needs sky simple as that chanel 4 is good but won't give anything like the sums needed to keep the sport afloat and as for streaming on the our league app wasn't it sky that provided the cameras the other week up in Hull,so sky is vital it seems to me
Firestarter

Re: Rugby league's Channel 4 conundrum as TV deal throws up tricky issue to overcome

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:54 pm The sport needs sky simple as that chanel 4 is good but won't give anything like the sums needed to keep the sport afloat and as for streaming on the our league app wasn't it sky that provided the cameras the other week up in Hull,so sky is vital it seems to me
I hate to admit it but what you say is so true….. i much prefer ch 4 personally
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

A fair article.

Whilst Sky reducing the money from 40 to 25 was a massive hit, the real issue is how dependent the sport is on the TV deal.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I would like to see Amazon somewhere in the mix with some pay per view games or for SKY to actually introduce a ppv option, would work out cheaper for those who don't watch any other sport and would also allow those that don't want to pay a SKY Sports subscription to view matches without an extortionate monthly payment.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:29 am I would like to see Amazon somewhere in the mix with some pay per view games or for SKY to actually introduce a ppv option, would work out cheaper for those who don't watch any other sport and would also allow those that don't want to pay a SKY Sports subscription to view matches without an extortionate monthly payment.
NowTv offer sky sports for £22 a month for the next year and can cancel anytime…

Pay per view would need to be cheap for it to be a workable model when there are offers like that.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:33 am
medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:29 am I would like to see Amazon somewhere in the mix with some pay per view games or for SKY to actually introduce a ppv option, would work out cheaper for those who don't watch any other sport and would also allow those that don't want to pay a SKY Sports subscription to view matches without an extortionate monthly payment.
NowTv offer sky sports for £22 a month for the next year and can cancel anytime…

Pay per view would need to be cheap for it to be a workable model when there are offers like that.
£3.99 per match would be great, sometimes we only see Wigan play 1 game in a month, for me paying £30 a month it isn't value for money, at the moment I'm only watching Wigan matches, can't be bothered with the others, How many more people are in the same boat that would love this option even if it was £5 it would still be worth it
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:47 am

£3.99 per match would be great, sometimes we only see Wigan play 1 game in a month, for me paying £30 a month it isn't value for money, at the moment I'm only watching Wigan matches, can't be bothered with the others, How many more people are in the same boat that would love this option even if it was £5 it would still be worth it
The risk is though that people cancel monthly memberships and opt for pay per view which results in less revenue overall and reduced Tv deals.

Appreciate the point but not sure you can grow a sport by catering for people who only want to watch their team.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:36 am
medlocke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:47 am

The risk is though that people cancel monthly memberships and opt for pay per view which results in less revenue overall and reduced Tv deals.

Appreciate the point but not sure you can grow a sport by catering for people who only want to watch their team.
That's the thong though Nathan, how many people with the sports package actually watch more than one sport, I would say it's a huge majority and what SKY would lose they could probably make back with those viewers that won't pay for a subscription, also, how many viewers will be cancelling their subscriptions due to cost of living, they could end up losing a lot of revenue due to that