Richard Silverwood calls for video ref change after questioning crucial call in Super League clash

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Richard Silverwood calls for video ref change after questioning crucial call in Super League clash

Post by josie andrews »

Not posting blow by blow account but this is a rule I really hate 🤨

——————-

Once again Huddersfield Giants showed that they can compete with the very best in Super League but like last week they came up short by the exact same scoreline.
It was this try that had Richard Silverwood questioning the video referee system in use.

He felt that Senior had dropped the ball as he attempted to ground it and that the decision was clouded by the on field call:

“I think he lost that. Fingers off the ball and grounded with the wrist. On field decision clouds that.”
The VR will only look at what the on field ref asks them to.

I remember before we had IMO this controversial rule, Ryan Hall, well I think it was, when playing for Leeds was given a try, v us of course, where he scored it with the end of his little finger & the try was given!!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Re: Richard Silverwood calls for video ref change after questioning crucial call in Super League clash

Post by widdenoldboy »

I was OK with that call TBH (and not just because it was against Stains!).
craigo

Re: Richard Silverwood calls for video ref change after questioning crucial call in Super League clash

Post by craigo »

I agreed with the decision tbh.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It was borderline, but I think he stayed in contact with the ball all the way to the ground, and it doesn't have to be your hand. So I'd say it should have been given, it wasn't an obvious error to give it, so it should stay as a try.

I do think if it had gone up as no-try it would have stayed as that decision too, but isn't the VR supposed to eliminate obvious errors, not differences in opinion (which would be impossible!).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐