Phil Clarke makes St Helens cheating claim in explosive comments

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Phil Clarke makes St Helens cheating claim in explosive comments

Post by josie andrews »

Clarke was part of Sky Sports' broadcast team for Saints' win over Huddersfield Giants.

Phil Clarke has branded some of St Helens' tactics as cheating in a controversial post-match assessment of their victory over Huddersfield Giants. Clarke, a regular pundit for Sky Sports, questioned the rulings that allow the defending Super League champions to play in the manner that they do.

His comments came after Matty Lees' post-match interview in which he praised the resiliency of his side's defence. The Saints overcame several waves of attack from Huddersfield to ultimately pick up a 14-12 win.

That prompted Clarke to take a swipe at their actions and more so, the sport's lack of action against their alleged tactics of slowing the game down

Maybe when they’re prepared to defend on their own try line, maybe one of the reasons why Huddersfield and other teams can’t score against St Helens is that they’d rather slow down the opposition and concede six more tackles in their belief that ‘we’ll defend, as long as it’s not quick, we can defend our try line for two minutes’.

“Maybe that’s something that the game’s administrators needs to look at.”

Pushed further on those comments, Clarke went on to say Saints had "effectively cheated" to win a game against Salford last year.

“They played a game last year against Salford at the end where they effectively cheated at the end to win the match in the league match and called on the rulings to be tweaked that would result in stronger sanctions.

I do think that the game needs to be stricter at penalising sides that are purposefully holding down players or concede penalties or six agains near to their own try line. We need to see more yellow cards for that type of behaviour.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Phil Clarke makes St Helens cheating claim in explosive comments

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I see what he's saying and I see it more as gamesmanship. If they're backing themselves then it's play on for me. To say it's cheating is a really poor turn of phrase
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:14 am I see what he's saying and I see it more as gamesmanship. If they're backing themselves then it's play on for me. To say it's cheating is a really poor turn of phrase
I think that's a fair assessment they're just playing to the rules and are good at it
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The rule is a bit naff though as it encourages teams to do it. A team can slow a dangerous play down giving away a six again while the defence gets set. A team with a strong defence can do this repeatedly and hope to earn a turnover or to see the attacking side make a mistake. The only reason this is possible is due to the rule. Without it lying on would be penalised which could allow a team to kick two points.

I believe I am correct in saying Saints did this v Cas when leading by two points last season. Cas had three new sets and ended up making a mistake. Saints won and did so by denying them a penalty by deliberately committing an offence they knew would not result in a penalty kick.

I think deliberately committing an offence because the sanction is one you prefer than the alternative does fit the description of cheating.

The only reason they can do it is due to this rule so it needs to go IMO.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Not cheating. I like Phil Clarke btw. Actually brings some sense to proceedings.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

That's going a bit far! :lol:
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

DaveO wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:41 pm The rule is a bit naff though as it encourages teams to do it. A team can slow a dangerous play down giving away a six again while the defence gets set. A team with a strong defence can do this repeatedly and hope to earn a turnover or to see the attacking side make a mistake. The only reason this is possible is due to the rule. Without it lying on would be penalised which could allow a team to kick two points.

I believe I am correct in saying Saints did this v Cas when leading by two points last season. Cas had three new sets and ended up making a mistake. Saints won and did so by denying them a penalty by deliberately committing an offence they knew would not result in a penalty kick.

I think deliberately committing an offence because the sanction is one you prefer than the alternative does fit the description."cheating "
I disagree that it constitutes cheating if the prevailing rules permit it as your post recognises but I would agree that the option should be changed
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Perhaps there should be some caveats on the rule. Like offences on 0th-2nd tackle will be penalties, offences in your own 20m will be penalties? Maybe that's getting too complicated?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:15 pm Perhaps there should be some caveats on the rule. Like offences on 0th-2nd tackle will be penalties, offences in your own 20m will be penalties? Maybe that's getting too complicated?
Just go back to the previous rule and award a penalty.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:22 pm
Mike wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:15 pm Perhaps there should be some caveats on the rule. Like offences on 0th-2nd tackle will be penalties, offences in your own 20m will be penalties? Maybe that's getting too complicated?
Just go back to the previous rule and award a penalty.
I do like the continuity of play in the middle of the field though, I think that's a positive. Errors frustrate me, but not as much as constant ref stoppages. The changes for slowing down the PTB and also incorrectly passing the ball or continuing when you should have played it have both been a positive for me. But I agree there's too much room for gamesmanship in the current setup.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐