England close in on Tonga Test series confirmation despite Four Nations reports

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

England close in on Tonga Test series confirmation despite Four Nations reports

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane looks set to get the Test series he was hoping for.

England will 'more than likely' face Tonga in a three-Test series this autumn, with the Rugby Football League in advanced talks to bring Kristian Woolf's side to England later this year.

Despite reports in Australia that Tonga are being lined up to play in a Four Nations tournament, the RFL remain confident they have all-but confirmed a test series on this side of the world against high-calibre opposition at the end of the current domestic campaign. Rugby League Live understands that the finer details of a series are being finalised, with an announcement in the coming weeks.

The series could include a game outside of the traditional heartlands, with Newcastle and London under consideration as possible venue. England coach Shaun Wane insisted he was not frustrated by the delay over confirmation, but sees any potential series as a key building block on the road to the next World Cup in France in 2025.

As far as I'm aware it's not set in stone or done yet, but it more than likely will be happening," Wane said. "I'm looking forward to it. I'm confident that the RFL and IMG know the importance of international rugby to our game. With so many people supporting it, it is going to get better and we're going to have more fixtures set in stone moving forwards."

Wane continued: "I'm not frustrated about it (the delay). I'm not one for dwelling on things, I know it's complicated regarding the talks with the Tongan people and I understand that. I'm just planning to make England ready for the 2025 World Cup."

Before that series, England will host France in a mid-season international next month. And Wane admitted he will field a new-look squad as he looks to integrate a younger core of players to ensure his side are ready for the next World Cup.

"It'll be a young squad and it'll be with 2025 in mind," Wane said. "It's not a clear-out (of older players) because I picked some players over 30 in the World Cup and they did a fantastic job. I don't want to start afresh with a load of young players so those senior players will play a part too."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
craigo

Re: England close in on Tonga Test series confirmation despite Four Nations reports

Post by craigo »

There should be more international matches.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Re: England close in on Tonga Test series confirmation despite Four Nations reports

Post by josie andrews »

craigo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:21 pm There should be more international matches.
Yes there should, but Australia isn’t interested in the International game. They do not want to release any players for Internationals, especially against England.

I think it is one of the reasons, IMO, why the NRL players with Island Heritage broke away from Australia &
New Zealand.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan