Leeds Rhinos news: attendance revealed for Challenge Cup tie v Wigan Warriors

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds Rhinos news: attendance revealed for Challenge Cup tie v Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos have revealed the attendance for their Betfred Challenge Cup sixth round defeat by Wigan Warriors.

The crowd figure was not announced at the game on Saturday, but Rhinos today (Monday) confirmed the 18-14 defeat, which was televised live on BBC One, was watched by 7,103 fans.

That is Rhinos’ lowest home gate of the season and the first four-figure attendance at Headingley since 5,112 saw Leeds lose to Castleford, also in a BBC-televised game, at the same stage of last season’s Cup competition.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... rs-4152883
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Leeds Rhinos news: attendance revealed for Challenge Cup tie v Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds fans attendance was abysmal IMO, I’ve never seen so few ‘supporters’ in the East stand which was virtually empty apart from a dozen or so & the cameraman.

The South stand not half as packed as usual & in the ‘posh’ North stand was an area in the centre that was empty!

My biggest complaint about Leeds Rhinos is their complete disregard for away supporters. Especially disabled.

On Saturday the team coach was parked outside of the normal parking area under the covered walkway. There were cars parked all along both sides, don’t know if they were players cars or what.
They were parked right up to the wall & one even blocked the doorway to a disabled toilet!

When I queried this with one of the head stewards he replied it wasn’t to be used & there were plenty of toilets available! But, I said there is only one further down that could accommodate a wheelchair!
What if there were several people in wheelchairs, with incontinence problems? He just shrugged his shoulders!

The other thing was the sound system, any announcements could only be heard in the North, South & East stands, so if there were to be any emergency announcements the West away stand wouldn’t hear anything!

A+ rated Stadium you’re having a fecking giraffe! 🤨
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
morley pie eater

Re: Leeds Rhinos news: attendance revealed for Challenge Cup tie v Wigan Warriors

Post by morley pie eater »

Four of us were in the "posh" North Stand and there were a few other Wigan shirts in there. I know Ian was in the South Stand.
There must have been 2 or 3 thousand on the Western Terrace. Does anybody know how many tickets Wigan sold?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Btw, on Sunday I saw a bloke in a Wigan shirt in Morley. Never met him before. Shook hands, turns out he's lived here for years but originally from Orrell.

Latest count is 7 in total in Morley. 4 from my family (10 year old granddaughter is really into it and got her mum and dad coming to more matches), 2 others we meet up with when Wigan are on Sky (The Royal this Thursday if you're in the area), and the bloke from Orrell. :D

Get a few more and we'll be hiring a minibus before long!!!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:01 pm Leeds fans attendance was abysmal IMO,

The South stand not half as packed as usual & in the ‘posh’ North stand was an area in the centre that was empty!

You wouldnt have thought so going off the BBC commentary, and how they blast marching on together over the tannoy so it sounds like there are fans there

it was pretty clear it was a poor turn out, but it happens to most clubs for home cup / play off fixtures, including at Wigan. When i had my season ticket, i knew that come cup or play-offs, i would hardly see any of the season ticket regulars in their seats. its something thats been discussed before, and without giving everything away for free, how do you get people who go to all home games to attend a game where they pay for cup / play off matches
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:25 pm Btw, on Sunday I saw a bloke in a Wigan shirt in Morley. Never met him before. Shook hands, turns out he's lived here for years but originally from Orrell.

Latest count is 7 in total in Morley. 4 from my family (10 year old granddaughter is really into it and got her mum and dad coming to more matches), 2 others we meet up with when Wigan are on Sky (The Royal this Thursday if you're in the area), and the bloke from Orrell. :D

Get a few more and we'll be hiring a minibus before long!!!
You need to start a Morley supporters branch.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

the pieman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:20 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:01 pm Leeds fans attendance was abysmal IMO,

You wouldnt have thought so going off the BBC commentary, and how they blast marching on together over the tannoy so it sounds like there are fans there

it was pretty clear it was a poor turn out, but it happens to most clubs for home cup / play off fixtures, including at Wigan. When i had my season ticket, i knew that come cup or play-offs, i would hardly see any of the season ticket regulars in their seats. its something thats been discussed before, and without giving everything away for free, how do you get people who go to all home games to attend a game where they pay for cup / play off matches
I don't have a season ticket but I've had a season ticket to other sports and buying one means you end up paying for every cup game as well no questions asked. It could become very expensive but that's just how it was. I don't suppose we could possibly do that, however maybe an opt in/out scheme - with tickets being say £10 cheaper per game would encourage season ticket holders to opt in?
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Just to follow on from that ^^ I feel cup games at home should be rock bottom (or as low as feasibly possible) prices. They should be treated as an extra game to encourage fans who maybe don't ordinarily come - to get down to a game.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Poor home support. But a excellent effort from our fans. Numbers and vocal.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The price of cup tickets are set by the RFL