Golden Point comes under scrutiny but key point ensures concept is here to stay

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Golden Point comes under scrutiny but key point ensures concept is here to stay

Post by josie andrews »

Back-to-back nights of Golden Point have brought the concept into question.

It was hard not to have sympathy for either Hull KR or Leeds Rhinos as the two sets of players sunk to their knees in the aftermath of their defeats. Both had fallen short in Golden Point after herculean battles with Wigan Warriors and St Helens respectively.

Golden Point has been a bone of contention ever since it was introduced to league fixtures back in 2019. One of the first changes the ex-Super League CEO made was to bring in the concept. It was brought in to artificially create unforgettable moments and generate more emotive moments for spectators.

And it goes without saying that it has succeeded in doing that. Anyone at Craven Park or Headingley last night won't forget Liam Farrell's last-gasp try or Lewis Dodd's drop goal sail between the sticks for a long time. Regardless of where your allegiance lay, the feeling of delight, despair or relief will have been amplified on those terraces.

Golden Point ensures there are more of those memorable moments that make being a supporter so emotionally absorbing. One would suspect that Golden Point incidents take up a good proportion of memorable incidents from recent years, positive or negative.

Growing up watching Halifax, the most memorable moment from my time on the terraces was seeing Ben Black kick a drop goal to win the 2010 Championship Grand Final. On the other side of it, I never left a game as gutted as the time Ryan McGoldrick belted a drop goal over to see Castleford knock Fax out of the 2009 Challenge Cup. Both games were decided in Golden Point.

And here's the crucial point. If you ask the broadcasters, they'll give resounding approval. They want drama wherever possible. They want content that can go viral. They want moments that people won't forget. Golden Point does all of those things.

There is perhaps a happy compromise. Many have proposed giving both teams a point if the scores are tied at the end of regular time, then an additional point to the team that wins in Golden Point. That does feel like the best of both worlds. A reward for the eventual winners but something for the team that slugged it out for 80 minutes.

The argument, though, is that it would take away from the concept. Golden Point is as nervy as it is because it's win or lose, all or nothing. Missing out on only one league point wouldn't feel like the end of the world in most cases.

It's a concept that always has and always will split opinion. But ultimately, Golden Point produces drama. And at a time when the product needs to be as appealing as it can be to broadcasters, it is here to stay.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... 23-8475371
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Golden Point comes under scrutiny but key point ensures concept is here to stay

Post by josie andrews »

Has the argument of Golden Point been reported on because it was two Yorkshire teams that lost to two Lancashire teams?

Would it have been commented on if the results had been the other way round?? 🤔
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
cherry toffee

Re: Golden Point comes under scrutiny but key point ensures concept is here to stay

Post by cherry toffee »

I was reading your first post josie and thought exactly the same, would there have been as much sympathy if Wigan and saints had lost out ?
craigo

Post by craigo »

If no points are scored in extra time, It is called a draw then. That should please any one that does not like it.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

josie andrews wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:33 pm Has the argument of Golden Point been reported on because it was two Yorkshire teams that lost to two Lancashire teams?

But Josie has just come out as a Yorkist, that's the shocking point you should all be worried about.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:01 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:33 pm Has the argument of Golden Point been reported on because it was two Yorkshire teams that lost to two Lancashire teams?

But Josie has just come out as a Yorkist, that's the shocking point you should all be worried about.
No way am I a white rose Yorkist!!

I’m a thoroughbred Red Rose Lancashire Lass & I never use Greater Manchester either!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

GP is a rubbish concept, IMO, and I don't believe it's popular with fans, either here or in the NRL.

Options in order of desirability, for me:

1. A point each for a draw. No GP or extra time
2. Proper extra time, ten mins each way.
3. As suggested upthread, a point each, and a bonus point for the GP winner.
4. The current system.
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

I don't like GP for non-knockout games - a draw is fine in regular games IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to a bit of 'normal' extra time if they really wanted to go that route, but I don't enjoy watching two teams repeatedly try to kick drop goals to finish it.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

So, as the article points out it's the broadcasters who want the GP. It most certainly not fans.
We all accept GP for C Cup games but not in regular Super League games.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Some people are suggesting as I read it that a team could come away with extra points from a golden point game.
This could mean that a team needing more points in the table could play for that ending i.e. getting 3 not 2 points. This would be unfair.